After 1 Month

NCHeel

I have had my 2012 Edge FWD Limited for about a month now. My previous car was a 1st gen Acura MDX.

Pro's:

Assuming decent reliability and things staying relatively rattle free, I am very satisfied with my purchase. The handling, ride, and mileage are all better than my old Acura.

Even with the occasional glitchiness of Sync, I am very happy with it and continue to learn more and use the system without having to think too hard. I look forward to the upcoming update but am happy with what I have now.

Con's:

There seems to be no "headlight on" indicator. I have mine set to auto and have read in the manual that they DO come on when using wipers, but I'd really appreciate some indication on the dash that the headlights are on. It would seem this could be included in a software update.

Automatic climate control: It seems to lack the refinement of my old Acura. I don't know about hot weather yet, but it seems like the air temp is either boiling hot or on the chilly side. I think it could mix the air better.

Heated seats: Too warm on "low." "High" is nuclear. "Low" feels like "high" on the Acura. "High" seems it would useful only in the first couple of minutes after starting your car in 0 degree weather. I am pretty sure the high setting will keep that carry out pizza very warm.

So far I am quite satisfied with my purchase and don't regret saving $15K by not getting a new MDX.

A headlamp indicator is of course not needed when it is bright or when it is dark. It would be useful to have in the morning or evening during transition times. I guess I'll just look down to see if my foot is illuminated blue (or green, red, orange, etc) to know if the lights are on.

I realized perhaps another "con" yesterday. Aside from something thin like a road atlas, you can't really put anything under the seats. Under the front seats, you are either hitting the motors or you are blocking a vent. In back there is plenty of room but when you lower the seatbacks, anything that had any thickness gets crushed. I'm now trying to figure out what to do with my first aid kit.

A headlamp indicator is of course not needed when it is bright or when it is dark. It would be useful to have in the morning or evening during transition times. I guess I'll just look down to see if my foot is illuminated blue (or green, red, orange, etc) to know if the lights are on.

I realized perhaps another "con" yesterday. Aside from something thin like a road atlas, you can't really put anything under the seats. Under the front seats, you are either hitting the motors or you are blocking a vent. In back there is plenty of room but when you lower the seatbacks, anything that had any thickness gets crushed. I'm now trying to figure out what to do with my first aid kit.

I put my 1st aid kit with the spare tire, along with booster cables, and a emergency road kit, some gloves, flashlight, batteries for the light, and some ties etc..

M.

My first aid kit is in the little cubby in the cargo area. I figured it was close enough in an emergency.

As for the headlight indicator that would be a nice addition...in NJ they can/will ticket you if you drive without your lights on in bad weather. Sometimes in light snow I don't use the wipers and it is still pretty bright out so the lights never come on. I think eventually I may end up modifying the LED bars to be DRL's just so I am covered.

I put my 1st aid kit with the spare tire, along with booster cables, and a emergency road kit, some gloves, flashlight, batteries for the light, and some ties etc..

M.

I'll probably have to do that and would have done it already if it were not in a case that doesn't fit there. I already have all that other stuff stored there. I had also hoped to be able to put a small/thin lockbox (6 x 10 x 2 ) under the front seat, but it doesn't look like I can.

I kind of remember a cubby or two on the sides of the cargo area on one of the Edges I looked at, but I guess the subwoofer and/or door opener took up that/those slots.

As for the headlight indicator that would be a nice addition...in NJ they can/will ticket you if you drive without your lights on in bad weather. Sometimes in light snow I don't use the wipers and it is still pretty bright out so the lights never come on. I think eventually I may end up modifying the LED bars to be DRL's just so I am covered.

It seems that if the headlights come on from operating the wipers they stay on until you turn off the engine even if you are no longer using the wipers. Anyone know if this is the case?