traction control?

danikwood75

I bought my 2007 Edge SEL at the begining of Febuary. I love driving it, however, I noticed that when I turn left while excellerating, it seems like it looses power, or the transmission slips. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was the traction control. I am not sure if I believe that is what it is, and I wanted to know if anyone else is expierencing this. Other than that I love the power, the feel of driving, and everything else about the vehicle!

It is wierd, this only happens when I turn left, the car jerks forward and then no power eventhough I am pressing the excellerator...I will try turning off the traction control tomorrow. I recreated this problem with the mechanic, who says he used to work at Ford, and it is the traction control...I don't know...

I bought my 2007 Edge SEL at the begining of Febuary. I love driving it, however, I noticed that when I turn left while excellerating, it seems like it looses power, or the transmission slips. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was the traction control. I am not sure if I believe that is what it is, and I wanted to know if anyone else is expierencing this. Other than that I love the power, the feel of driving, and everything else about the vehicle!

Ā 

you sure you're not experiencing a downshift?

but then again, you will have an instantaneous sensation of power loss during Traction Control activations. thats the purpose of the system. if its happening during left turns only and the depth of the curve isn't that great, you could also be having issues with your Steering Angle Sensor (commonly called a yaw sensor).

you sure you're not experiencing a downshift?

but then again, you will have an instantaneous sensation of power loss during Traction Control activations. thats the purpose of the system. if its happening during left turns only and the depth of the curve isn't that great, you could also be having issues with your Steering Angle Sensor (commonly called a yaw sensor).

Ā 

Steering wheel angle sensor and yaw sensor are two totally different parts with totally different functions. However if either one of them has a problem, it could explain the issue. Does the traction control light in the cluster come on while the incident is occurring?

Steering wheel angle sensor and yaw sensor are two totally different parts with totally different functions. However if either one of them has a problem, it could explain the issue. Does the traction control light in the cluster come on while the incident is occurring?

Ā 

Ā 

i thought that on the edge they were one in the same?

They measure different things - how could they be the same?

Ā 

Ā 

yaw is the measurement of rotation on a central axis. steering angle is the same thing. the degree of rotation of the wheel in relation to vehicle at static.

Ā 

i understand what you guys are saying. but IIRC the edge uses a combo sensor pack at the base of the column

yaw is the measurement of rotation on a central axis. steering angle is the same thing. the degree of rotation of the wheel in relation to vehicle at static.

Ā 

Yaw is the actual degree of rotation, whereas steering angle is the commanded value, so therein lies the difference. Or as it's used in my marine world. Hey, it's a slow day :)

Ā 

i understand what you guys are saying. but IIRC the edge uses a combo sensor pack at the base of the column

Ā 

I don't know whether it's one part or two but it has to be 2 different sensors. I thought the yaw sensor was typically in the center of the vehicle while the steering angle is just a sensor on the steering column and measures steering angle mechanically.

it could be i'm having a bad day and not thinking clearly. instead of opening my mouth before i'm sure i'm just gonna jump in the WSM and get it verbatim, lol....been a rough week already

Ā 

Think of it this way. You could be sitting still but still turning the steering wheel back and forth thereby changing the steering angle but the yaw is not changing.

Ā 

Conversely - you could be in an oversteer situation where the yaw sensor says the rear end is coming around and the steering angle could start out in the same direction of the turn but change quickly to the opposite direction as the driver starts to correct.

Ā 

They're 2 totally different measurements.

Think of it this way. You could be sitting still but still turning the steering wheel back and forth thereby changing the steering angle but the yaw is not changing.

Ā 

Conversely - you could be in an oversteer situation where the yaw sensor says the rear end is coming around and the steering angle could start out in the same direction of the turn but change quickly to the opposite direction as the driver starts to correct.

Ā 

They're 2 totally different measurements.

Ā 

Ā 

word.

Ā 

yeah i've been having one of those brain fart days all day to day...i had to read the WSM about 8 different times before everything sank in...i should have kept my happy butt at home

Been out for a week, but I think you're confusion is because Ford integrated the yaw sensor into the RCM module, which also has the accelerometers for the airbag. those used to be separate sensors but are now integrated into one module, located in the middle of the vehicle. The steering wheel angle sensor is still a unique part installed on the column.

• 3 months later...

Danikwood75 did you ever get your problem resolved? I have a 2007 Lincoln MKX and it is having the same problem, except that it is when I turn right. Loss of power and a sudden jerk. The OBDII scanner that I use says that I have a B1278 error, Steering wheel angle sensor 1 & 2. I have it at a dealer right now to get it looked at and I think that it is the steering angle sensor, but I am just wondering what you did to get yours fixed.

Ā 

Thanks

Chris

Danikwood75 did you ever get your problem resolved? I have a 2007 Lincoln MKX and it is having the same problem, except that it is when I turn right. Loss of power and a sudden jerk. The OBDII scanner that I use says that I have a B1278 error, Steering wheel angle sensor 1 & 2. I have it at a dealer right now to get it looked at and I think that it is the steering angle sensor, but I am just wondering what you did to get yours fixed.

Ā 

Thanks

Chris

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...