Hoping I can buff this out

It was inevitable to finally happen, I'm so careful to but it just kissed the curb. Hoping I can lightly wet sand it and polish it back out, doesn't look to have touch metal, just the clear. Ugh so angry at myself right now that this happened 1 month in.

curb.JPG

Edited by c_bova

I'm going to give it a shot myself first as I'm pretty good at that stuff and it doesn't seem like a gouge. Always happens when you try to be extra careful, like getting punched in the stomach. I'll take some pictures this evening after my attempt, if all else fails I will be calling those people cause they did actually fix a set of my rims on my other car that a tire shop scratched all up.

well I thought I grabbed 2000 grit paper from my tool box but it was 800 grit, I let it soak in soapy water for about 5min. Then I spray the wheel where I'm going to sand with some waterless wash or anything that will lubricate the surface. Then I basically just sanded until I was satisfied without going to far and making it worse. I probably could have gone a little further, but I didn't want to take away to much.

After that was all said and I got out my Griot's Garage 6" dual action buffer (although I have a 5" backing plate on it now) and with a cyan lake country hydrotech 5.5" slim pad (it was a dying pad as I knew coming close to the tire would chew it up some and I was right). I used some Meguiars 105 compound until the wet sand marks were gone. Wish I would have realized I was using 800 grit as I would have then hit it with 2000 to make it easier to get scratches out. Anyways, after that looked pretty good I got an orange 5" lake country pad combined with some Blackfire scratch resistant clear polish and buffed it and then did it by hand until all the scratches were gone.

I could sand a little more and hit it with some clear and blend that in, but I don't want to mess anything else up and these wheels are to expensive to that one. Plus after I fixed that much I asked the guy who quoted me $125 how much it would be now and he said he won't touch them since I already tried fixing them, what a crock, but oh well who needs him.

hope this all makes sense, haha.