My Sync is dead....

51 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had problems with Sync in your 2011 vehicle?

• Yes. If so please post below.
    • No.

Purchased a 2011 Edge on Sept 13. The sync screen went dead on Oct 12. So I have no control over all things that are controlled through the touch screen: heat, a/c, audio, bluetooth and sync with other devices, , etc. I was told to disconnect the battery, let it sit for five minutes, hook it up and it will restart. No luck. Tried it again and let the battery unhooked over night, still nothing. I have been to the dealership three times and keep getting the run around. Is this a 2011 Sync issue across the board or did I just get a lemon. Ford doesn't seem to have a fix, or at least that is what I keep getting told. Any of you have opinions on this problem?

Purchased a 2011 Edge on Sept 13. The sync screen went dead on Oct 12. So I have no control over all things that are controlled through the touch screen: heat, a/c, audio, bluetooth and sync with other devices, , etc. I was told to disconnect the battery, let it sit for five minutes, hook it up and it will restart. No luck. Tried it again and let the battery unhooked over night, still nothing. I have been to the dealership three times and keep getting the run around. Is this a 2011 Sync issue across the board or did I just get a lemon. Ford doesn't seem to have a fix, or at least that is what I keep getting told. Any of you have opinions on this problem?

That's ridiculous. Why haven't they replaced the screen? You need to find another dealer. This is a hardware problem, not a sync software issue.

This is not a common issue on this forum. While pulling the fuse 29 or disconnecting the battery help some things (like rebooting a troubled system) If that did not help, you need a hardware fix. I would guess it's Sync CPU (little computer) tucked away under the console or seat (not sure where they are hiding it)

Let your dealership know that you are calling Ford Customer service. It's clear that they don't know how to work on these new Edges

Yikes! My screen went blank a couple of times, i could here the beeps when touching the screen, but restarting the car seems to always fix it. I hope this doesn't lead to your situation. I think you got a lemon and asked to have the screen or sync system replaced.

I sent Sync Support a long list of issues and they only responded to why the uploading the XML file still wasn't working. The response? "You have the latest version." They didn't respond to any of the other issues - indexing, autostart, system being confused with multiple bluetooth devices, NAV SD card upgrade.

I guess I (we) can only sit and wait until they come out with a big update soon that hopefully with fix a lot of the issues we are all experiencing.

Had a meeting today. Got in the car and tried no less than twenty times to do a voice navigation destination setup. Finally it worked after manually setting address. About ten miles into drive, stopped to pick something up. When I got back in the car, the screen was dead. No music, no nothing. Nada.

Continued on to meeting. Afterwards, pulled the fuse. Didn't work, Got home and pulled the red lead from battery. Waited a good hour or more. Reconnected it, and still nothing.

Called the dealership and spoke to the service manager who I am friendly with for almost twenty years. He informed me that almost every 11 Edge they have sold is starting to have this issue. He further informed me that they are awaiting a software fix for it. I asked him how it will be installed since the screen and all functionality is disabled. He didn't have an answer.

I am beginning to wonder of maybe there might be a class action suit brewing here. After all, I am simply not getting what I paid for. That, to me, is breach of contract. What say you?

Had a meeting today. Got in the car and tried no less than twenty times to do a voice navigation destination setup. Finally it worked after manually setting address. About ten miles into drive, stopped to pick something up. When I got back in the car, the screen was dead. No music, no nothing. Nada.

Continued on to meeting. Afterwards, pulled the fuse. Didn't work, Got home and pulled the red lead from battery. Waited a good hour or more. Reconnected it, and still nothing.

Called the dealership and spoke to the service manager who I am friendly with for almost twenty years. He informed me that almost every 11 Edge they have sold is starting to have this issue. He further informed me that they are awaiting a software fix for it. I asked him how it will be installed since the screen and all functionality is disabled. He didn't have an answer.

I am beginning to wonder of maybe there might be a class action suit brewing here. After all, I am simply not getting what I paid for. That, to me, is breach of contract. What say you?

I think even mentioning "class action lawsuit" is stupid at this point. If Ford knows there is a problem and they're working on it then you have to give them time to come up with a fix. It's not like the vehicle is undriveable. There is no way Ford is ignoring this type of problem and a class action lawsuit will do nothing but waste time and money and make the lawyers rich.

Maybe you are right, but I just returned from the dealer and they told me that there is NO fix for it right now. They said I should call them in a couple of weeks to see if a fix is available. I am on the phone with Ford corporate right now and they are telling me that they know NOTHING of this problem. What is really chapping my hide is that the vehicle has 300 miles on it AND they are expecting me to continue paying for it.

My turn by turn stoped working after two weeks called ford sync did a master resetup pulled fuse 29 nothing worked said they will get back to me with a phone call turn by turn is the only thing not working :angry: my car was buil on 9-21-10

Edited by miket

I recently (at the end of Sept.) purchased a 2011 Ford Edge . A week ago SYNC lost Bluetooth pairing with iPhone. Pairing was re-established several minutes later. Subsequently, the next day Sync console remained on (but blank white) when the engine was turned off and doors locked. Opened door, re-started engine, then shut off again and problem appeared to be resolved. 3 days later, Sync screen totally blank and nothing would resolve problem. Took vehicle back to the dealership. After 4 hrs waiting was advised that the whole unit needs to be replaced... but it is on "back order" as there are no replacement Sync units available for a while.

Moreover, another matter, vehicle was to have a trailer package. The dealer installed the trailer hitch but no wiring harness. The reason given was that the wiring harness is on "back order" and will only be available in roughly 6 weeks from the date that the vehicle was delivered.

Most bothersome, of course, is the issue with the Sync module. Don't they test these units before they install them at the factory? Is this a common problem with the Sync unit (as it appears from other postings that some other owners are having similar problems as well)...?

I recently (at the end of Sept.) purchased a 2011 Ford Edge . A week ago SYNC lost Bluetooth pairing with iPhone. Pairing was re-established several minutes later. Subsequently, the next day Sync console remained on (but blank white) when the engine was turned off and doors locked. Opened door, re-started engine, then shut off again and problem appeared to be resolved. 3 days later, Sync screen totally blank and nothing would resolve problem. Took vehicle back to the dealership. After 4 hrs waiting was advised that the whole unit needs to be replaced... but it is on "back order" as there are no replacement Sync units available for a while.

Moreover, another matter, vehicle was to have a trailer package. The dealer installed the trailer hitch but no wiring harness. The reason given was that the wiring harness is on "back order" and will only be available in roughly 6 weeks from the date that the vehicle was delivered.

Most bothersome, of course, is the issue with the Sync module. Don't they test these units before they install them at the factory? Is this a common problem with the Sync unit (as it appears from other postings that some other owners are having similar problems as well)...?

Hey! back up on that towing package!!! The package is more than a trailer hitch. A hitch with wiring, a rear bumper contoured to accommodate the hitch, a bigger radiator, and sway control (may be other stuff too). If you have the package, you'll have a menu item to manage the sway control. That's why this is installed at factory and not the dealership.

Hey! back up on that towing package!!! The package is more than a trailer hitch. A hitch with wiring, a rear bumper contoured to accommodate the hitch, a bigger radiator, and sway control (may be other stuff too). If you have the package, you'll have a menu item to manage the sway control. That's why this is installed at factory and not the dealership.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll take this up with the dealer (Yonge Steels Ford Lincoln in Canada) when I'm there next time. Vehicle is there since yesterday waiting for the "back order" on the dead Sync module. According to the service mgr there, when the Sync module croaks it negatively affects various other safety and convenience functions of the vehicle. Just the fact that the Sync module is on "back order" seems to suggest that croaking Sync modules is a chronic flaw which may eventually require a general recall.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll take this up with the dealer (Yonge Steels Ford Lincoln in Canada) when I'm there next time. Vehicle is there since yesterday waiting for the "back order" on the dead Sync module. According to the service mgr there, when the Sync module croaks it negatively affects various other safety and convenience functions of the vehicle. Just the fact that the Sync module is on "back order" seems to suggest that croaking Sync modules is a chronic flaw which may eventually require a general recall.

I just checked my rear bumper and it looks like there was a knockout to allow the hitch to poke out.

Interesting about the Sync module controlling other features of the car. I better get into the dealership and get mine on order.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my Easy Entry/Exit issue among other things on Sync.

Random audio source selection at startup

hit & miss BT Audio connection

hit & miss USB connection

Sync freeze up

error messages that don't go away until I restart the car

I know there are more but can't think of them now

Edited by wilsons66604

I just checked my rear bumper and it looks like there was a knockout to allow the hitch to poke out.

Interesting about the Sync module controlling other features of the car. I better get into the dealership and get mine on order.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my Easy Entry/Exit issue among other things on Sync.

Sync freeze up

It appears to me that the symptoms that you are noting are similar to those that I experienced shortly before the whole unit croaked. I'm up here in Canada (where by this time of year we also need the heater to work). I noticed that the airflow direction was also random and it did not keep the prior setting, and even engaged the AC (consuming gas) unnecessarily. I didn't get the error msgs. USB was erratic as was the Bluetooth randomly making and losing the pairing with the iPhone. When the unit croaked, I also noticed hesitation on acceleration at normal city and hwy speeds (Max speed that I ever took this vehicle thus far was 60Mph. I'm seriously concerned that there may be one or more safety issues involved if in fact (as per the dealership) the Sync unit impact the other systems in the vehicle. The major disappointment is that the problems with the Sync unit surfaced so quickly with fewer than 500 Miles on the vehicle. Oh, one more thing that I noticed was that the touch screen on the Sync unit is rather sluggish and slow to respond. This may be either a hardware deficiency or a combination of hardware deficiency with sluggish software. On the other hand, the buttons, directly below the Sync touch-screen, are quite responsive. You have to take care not to accidentally touch the button for the 4-way flasher as it will engage instantaneously. In hindsight, that 4-way flasher button is not positioned in an ideal location.

It appears to me that the symptoms that you are noting are similar to those that I experienced shortly before the whole unit croaked. I'm up here in Canada (where by this time of year we also need the heater to work). I noticed that the airflow direction was also random and it did not keep the prior setting, and even engaged the AC (consuming gas) unnecessarily. I didn't get the error msgs. USB was erratic as was the Bluetooth randomly making and losing the pairing with the iPhone. When the unit croaked, I also noticed hesitation on acceleration at normal city and hwy speeds (Max speed that I ever took this vehicle thus far was 60Mph. I'm seriously concerned that there may be one or more safety issues involved if in fact (as per the dealership) the Sync unit impact the other systems in the vehicle. The major disappointment is that the problems with the Sync unit surfaced so quickly with fewer than 500 Miles on the vehicle. Oh, one more thing that I noticed was that the touch screen on the Sync unit is rather sluggish and slow to respond. This may be either a hardware deficiency or a combination of hardware deficiency with sluggish software. On the other hand, the buttons, directly below the Sync touch-screen, are quite responsive. You have to take care not to accidentally touch the button for the 4-way flasher as it will engage instantaneously. In hindsight, that 4-way flasher button is not positioned in an ideal location.

I keep my lights on auto at all times. Tonight, I started the car and the lights would not come UNTIL the sync system finished starting up (30 seconds).

This SUCKS! Why would FORD connect vital functions through this buggy experiment they call My Ford Touch? Will My headlights go out when I least expect it? I sure hope my brakes and air bags aren't' connected thru this POS.

I was able to cope with the issues My Fn Touch was having because it was just affecting audio systems (and possibly my Easy/Exit)

Edited by wilsons66604

Sync freeze up

Hey, you just provided a list of most everything that's happened to my MKX! (except I've had no problem with seat positioning)

Hey, you just provided a list of most everything that's happened to my MKX! (except I've had no problem with seat positioning)

I have a 2011 sport, that was built on july 13. I just took delivery of the vehicle 3 weeks ago. My wife at ford and was told that there was a hardware/software problem that was found at the plant. they had to physically go back into every built vehicle that was waiting for ship,emt and retro fix this issue. that is the big reason why the edge release/delivery date kept getting pushed back. i had a 2010 edge w/nav and did have a screen problem (like it froze up) anyway, the dealer showed me that to re-boot the system, you can remove the cover on the lower part of the center counsel that is actually in the back seat (below the air vents that are on the counsel) inside, get a flashlight, and there is an actual "reset" button that you can push (i guess like rebooting a pc) once done at the dealer it was fine for a while, then it happened on the weekend again about 2 months later and I did the "reset" myself - if i could do it anyone can.

my 2011 sport has some of the issues you are mentioning, and I hope that it is not"terminal" at this point. I have most times been using the actual touch buttons to control the climate because the screen buttons take to long to recognize the command or sometimes don't work until they are ready to. i have also noticed the usb sometimes is not active on my screen to the right of the speedometer....

with their stock finally getting over $15 yeaterday, I hope this is not a huge problem

I took delivery of my 2011 edge on Mon 10/11. After about 1 week and 300 miles, the sync touch screen went totally dead. Initially the dealer referred to a TSB with the rear defroster as being the issue, but that wasnt it. He was going to rip the unit out just to get the ESN number but luckily i had written that down. He took that info from me and was ready to order a new hardware unit to reinstall. Turns out another customer had the same issue a week before me. When the dealer went to put his new unit the system the asked him to install the software which he didnt have a copy of. He says he is waiting on the software from Ford. I lodged a complaint with Ford and they are telling me that a fix is in the works but there is no ETA on it. So its been 3 weeks and i have no radio, no phone sync, no navigation, no heated seats controls, no way to change the heat vents (when the system shut out it was just set to my feet). This is turning into a disaster. Ford offered me the premium maintence plan for free, but i just want this fixed. What is going on!?!?!?!

bruce35, at least you were offered the "premium maintenance plan for free"... your cup has a few drops in it, so it's not entirely empty :-) I finally picked up my 2011 Ford Edge from the service dept. of the dealer after a week that it spent in 'sick bay' waiting for the 'back ordered' sync unit from Ford. (The sync went pooch after a couple of weeks). Here's how it went: Thursday the unit was to have arrived; however, by the report from the service dept. at noon, it hasn't. A call to Ford's "customer relations" dept. yielded "We can't help you now because our systems are down" (they must have been using sync :-) ), as did a follow up several hours later. Called the manager of the dealership; nice guy who attempted to help. I asked him, however, why was I not told that the sync has problems before I bought the vehicle (he said they had several of the Edge models with the same problem). I asked him if I could just return the vehicle, reverse the deal and call it a day. He responded that if he allowed that he'd have 80 2011 Ford Edge vehicles dead on his lot. He asked me for patience and said that he'll see what he can do. Miracle of miracles... within a couple of hours the sync unit arrived from Ford. They worked on it on that day and all day Friday (or so I'm told) and yesterday evening I was given the good news that it's installed and working fine. OK, back to the dealer to pick up the vehicle. It's now a few hours since then and the sync is still working. My trust in Ford, however, is shaken and it will take some time before I get that comfortable feeling that the sync or some other vital comfort and safety item will not croak at the most inopportune time as it did when the vehicle was only a couple of weeks old.

I'll follow up with another posting in a couple of weeks with a "health and experience report" on the 2011 Ford Edge vehicle. I sure hope that I will have the opportunity to say "it's still working as advertised"

bruce35, at least you were offered the "premium maintenance plan for free"... your cup has a few drops in it, so it's not entirely empty :-) I finally picked up my 2011 Ford Edge from the service dept. of the dealer after a week that it spent in 'sick bay' waiting for the 'back ordered' sync unit from Ford. (The sync went pooch after a couple of weeks). Here's how it went: Thursday the unit was to have arrived; however, by the report from the service dept. at noon, it hasn't. A call to Ford's "customer relations" dept. yielded "We can't help you now because our systems are down" (they must have been using sync :-) ), as did a follow up several hours later. Called the manager of the dealership; nice guy who attempted to help. I asked him, however, why was I not told that the sync has problems before I bought the vehicle (he said they had several of the Edge models with the same problem). I asked him if I could just return the vehicle, reverse the deal and call it a day. He responded that if he allowed that he'd have 80 2011 Ford Edge vehicles dead on his lot. He asked me for patience and said that he'll see what he can do. Miracle of miracles... within a couple of hours the sync unit arrived from Ford. They worked on it on that day and all day Friday (or so I'm told) and yesterday evening I was given the good news that it's installed and working fine. OK, back to the dealer to pick up the vehicle. It's now a few hours since then and the sync is still working. My trust in Ford, however, is shaken and it will take some time before I get that comfortable feeling that the sync or some other vital comfort and safety item will not croak at the most inopportune time as it did when the vehicle was only a couple of weeks old.

I'll follow up with another posting in a couple of weeks with a "health and experience report" on the 2011 Ford Edge vehicle. I sure hope that I will have the opportunity to say "it's still working as advertised"

thanks for sharing your experience, but from what my dealer is telling me, they cant install the new unit until they get the software from Ford. Did your dealer mention anything about the software aspect of your replacement ordeal?

They said that they had to log in to Ford and to download the software from there. Seems to be that the software is MicroS##t (pick the letters that you would like to substitute for the two ## spaces... :-) Maybe they have a 'patch Tuesday' for the sync units as well... or maybe just very low "made in China" hardware quality or maybe both. But I sincerely hope that I'm mistaken on both counts...

thanks for sharing your experience, but from what my dealer is telling me, they cant install the new unit until they get the software from Ford. Did your dealer mention anything about the software aspect of your replacement ordeal?

just tried my turn by turn directions today again after two weeks of not working everthing is working just like new the car was built 9-21-10 nothing was done to it it just started to work again IS IT A FULL MOON :wacko: i used it about six times today everplace i went tryed today 11-7-10 worked two days cross fingers maybe it fixed itself :happy feet: still working 11-9-10 :happy feet: 11-12-10 stil :happy feet: lworking

Edited by miket

Got my brand new Ford Edge 2011 on October 29th ... not even 2 weeks old, everything looked good but yesterday the my synch screen went down and would not turn on anymore. I first noticed that there was something funky about this display the 2nd day i got the car ... the volume button would not have any effect on the radio volume ... but the issue went away after stopped and restarted the engine ... i'm extremely disappointed with ford over this ... i paid a lot of money NOT to have these types of issues.

anyway, it sounds like a common problem with the synch ... taking it to the dealership on Wed.

I think even mentioning "class action lawsuit" is stupid at this point. If Ford knows there is a problem and they're working on it then you have to give them time to come up with a fix. It's not like the vehicle is undriveable. There is no way Ford is ignoring this type of problem and a class action lawsuit will do nothing but waste time and money and make the lawyers rich.

"There is no way Ford is ignoring this type of problem" ... This should have never been a problem, after 20 days of use ... lack of proper QA/QC procedures is ignorance.