Best 2" Receiver Hitch for 2012 Limited

What is consensus for best 2" receiver hitch for a 2012 Limited Edge (not Sport). Going by fit, appearance, nearest to factory appearance, no cutting, etc. Did you get it at U haul, or similar? Not going to put on myself. Not necessarily looking for cheapest, but looking for one that is nearest to factory look. For bike rack, so don't need wiring, etc. And the paint job on some of these hitches is not so good.

We installed a Hidden Hitch brand class 3 hitch and were very pleased. The fit and finish were excellent and the look is as close to factory as you can get without cutting the lower valance. In fact, about the only thing you see from the back is the receiver itself - all the mounting brackets are well hidden up behind the valance. We bought it online and then took it to a local U-Haul shop to have it installed... 45 minutes and $50 later we were driving away with the new hitch installed.

I have used Curt hitches on other vehicles and been similarly pleased but their Edge model isn't quite as well hidden as the Hidden Hitch.

Do yourself a favor and look at your exhaust cans before you buy anything. Initially I bought the Hidden Hitch and aesthetically it does look good. The only part you see is the receiver. But since my exhaust cans were different than the ones shown in the videos(when purchased) it didn't fit quite right. You can bolt it up just fine and everything clears but just barely. So when you drive and the exhaust sways a little it hits. Didn't happen all that much but too much for me.

So in the end get under there and check if the cans are stamped or rolled. Mine are rolled, so the width of the can is the same from top to bottom. This is what causes the interference. The stamped cans have a taper and should clear just fine. I have seen videos of the Hidden Hitch installed on a vehicle with rolled cans but I don't know if they didn't care about the banging or if this hitch has been slightly revised due to complaints. I should also add I did try to put a rubber bumper on the hitch to soften the blow, it worked but it still bothered me.

Bought the hidden hitch and wiring kit online from e-trailer. $234. total .

The most time consuming part of installation was getting the bolts into the frame rail using the wire puller. Had to drill one 1/2 hole on each side of car.

I didn't have a lift so I backed on to ramps , let the exhaust lay on the garage floor ( cardboard under it ) exhaust can be slid from one side to the other so you have room to work. I installed the hitch alone so I used a rubber bungee strap to tie one end up close to frame, lifted other end and finger tightened the nuts on the bolts then did the other end. Not bad at all.

The wiring kit is high quality. After I took the time to thread the hot wire under the car to the battery, I thought I could have used the 12v receptacle in the cargo area.. Duh me. and saved a lot of laying on my back under the car.

Larry

2013 Edge SEL

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Edge/2013/87682.html?vehicleid=201332183

http://www.etrailer.com/p-118515.html

• 1 month later...

Hidden Hitch, Drawtite, and Reese all owned by same company. They're same hitch with some very minor differences, and name stickers.

I went over to a busy hitch place for a Hidden Hitch, and he showed me same hitch with "Drawtite" on it. Was same as the Hidden Hitch. Installed it is very well tucked up under bumper.

I installed it to use a 1UP bike rack. For 2 or 3 bikes, wheels in trays. It's the rack that folds up neatly. $

Edited by RJG

• 2 weeks later...

Hidden Hitch, Drawtight, and Reese same hitch. Curt different. I got the 2" Drawtight. Neighbor has a 2013 Limited Edge with factory tow package, and my hitch looks pretty much same as his. If your budget permits, look at 1UP bike rack. It's just the best....there is no discussion. I have a heavy duty for 2" receiver with one add on for 3rd bike. So simple to install. Uses security bolts to hold on vehicle.

Put bike wheels in tray, pull arms down on wheels, and drive away. When done, take off car, it folds up. Only issue is it's expensive.

Popular bike forum discussing bike racks. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=167748

Edited by RJG

• 2 weeks later...

May I suggest that whatever hitch you buy, you pair it with the Ajust-A-Ball tow bar. It has polyurethane blocks in it to alleviate any slamming during towing. I have the 4 way for towing our boat, and it not only softens jarring road imperfections, but quiets down the whole towing experience which really eases your mind and allows you to listen for things that don't sound right while you're on your way. Worth the money! I paid $107 from etrailer.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the reese hitch for my 13 limited at Amazon from Autoaccessories4less. They had the best price, it got shipped out in 2 days and I received it the next day. Easy to install, I just dropped down the back of the exhaust, didn't have to jack up the vehicle. You have to drill 2 holes but that is no big deal. All you see is the 2 inch square below the black bottom panel. I really like it.

Tarey

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R389M2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1J7OTSURZAVWI

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I installed the Drawtite 75992 Class III hitch yesterday to use with the Swagman 64650 2 bike rack. $220 all in. Nice end result

YouTube videos are fantastic (better than the instructions). Only difference from the video was the rusted fasteners on the heat shield that us snow belt drivers will come across. I wish the underside of our cars looked as rust free as the video

• Like 1

I really like the look. I do have one more cleanup to do. I'm finding that the driver's side muffler hits the hitch where it approaches the frame rail. May just take it to a custom exhaust shop to see if they can tweak it a bit.

More disturbing was that I saw a rust spot beginning to appear on the bottom of that muffler. Figuring that's a problem for about a year from now I decided to look of the cost. It's all one piece (resonator pipe and 2 mufflers with tips) and it's $542 at Ford without freight................ May be looking at my alternate options there

Chefduane - to your comment about a 2 year old thread.......... Well noted. That's the beauty of this site for those that care about our rides. I needed advise on the hitch and found it in this old thread. So I'm adding my experience in case someone else needs a hitch/bike rack... someday

Here's the finale

First test drive (120 miles round trip) with the Drawtite hitch and the Swagman dual bike rack. Bike's clamp down tight and there's absolutely no movement or rattling sounds sounds. Very pleased

One heads up if you are using an anti-rattle lock on the hitch with the Swagman rack. I wanted a lock pin to lock the rack to the hitch, so since this was a class III hitch, I got the class III anti rattle J lock which is 17/32" diameter. Wrong..... Turns out the Swagman (not the hitch) will only take 1/2" diameter (class II I presume?) so I ended having to reorder, and buying the Swagman anti wobble 1/2" lock. Quiet as advertised, but an unexpected distraction

I also used a bike locking cable that was long enough to loop through the hitch, the rack and the bike. I figured you'd have to steal my Edge if you wanted my bike

End of the day, very pleased and felt secure that my bike (worth way more than the hitch and rack) was "relatively" secure to walk away from during the day. I guess if I see a guy walk by with bolt cutters I'd better head back to my car :arrive_alive:

• Like 1