2008 Edge Metal Rattling While Driving

kyle5782

Hi all,

Sometimes while driving I hear a metal rattle noise coming from the front driver's side, sounds like it's under my steering or center console. It's pretty intermittent & doesn't happen every day, sometimes it's once a day or a few then a couple of drives before I hear it again.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Steering and breaks feel normal.

Possibly an exhaust shield, if it sounds tinny. How many miles on your Edge? FWD or AWD? Any recent service or "incidents" or other issues?

Just over 96k miles, FWD. Rear brakes replaced last winter at Midas while in college, entire power steering had to be replaced last August by local mechanics while home for the summer, got new tires towards the end of May/early June at highly reviewed Ford dealership. The dealership did say my power steering was starting binding and the rack needs to be replaced but it's not an urgent issue (under 3 year warranty thank god).

Edit: it sounds like metal tools or nuts/screws rolling around

Edited by kyle5782

The first thing that comes to mind (similar) is marbles rolling around, and that usually means a catalyst has gone bad. From the location, it would be the Bank 1 catalyst in this case.

Unless something got dropped into the center console, not sure what else it could be. I have seen it posted elsewhere that it might be engine knock or detonation if bad enough.

The first thing that comes to mind (similar) is marbles rolling around, and that usually means a catalyst has gone bad. From the location, it would be the Bank 1 catalyst in this case.

Unless something got dropped into the center console, not sure what else it could be. I have seen it posted elsewhere that it might be engine knock or detonation if bad enough.

Rolling marbles is a good description. What are the consequences of not having it fixed immediately? Id like to have that specific Ford dealership to look at it but work full time in another city (just graduated).

IF it is a bad cat, the cat has broken up pieces inside that would likely set off a check engine light, and even cause loss of power because that side of the exhaust id clogged. Poor mileage would be snother confirmation.

Some say the pieces can be sucked back into the engine. But IDK. I suppose if the exhaust is highly modified it is possible.

Best to have a mechanic check out the unfernody/suspension/exhaust on a lift. Somehow something could have gotten trapped in there.

AC drain plug clogged? Shot in the dark on this. Does water drain outside onto the pavement when AC is operating? IF no water then you have a clogged drain plug.

AC drains fine, no issues there.

This might be an issue if water backs up enough to pour into the blower, causing partial or full failure. Check the cabin air filter.

Replaced the air filter in June, but I'll take a look.

IF it is a bad cat, the cat has broken up pieces inside that would likely set off a check engine light, and even cause loss of power because that side of the exhaust id clogged. Poor mileage would be snother confirmation.

Some say the pieces can be sucked back into the engine. But IDK. I suppose if the exhaust is highly modified it is possible.

Best to have a mechanic check out the unfernody/suspension/exhaust on a lift. Somehow something could have gotten trapped in there.

No check engine light, loss of power, decreased milage, etc.

Have you physically looked under the car? Possibly an exhaust hanger has broken and the pieces are just barely touching.

Any possibility that some change or other small stuff have fallen below the center console storage area into the area under the console?

Edited by enigma-2

Have you physically looked under the car? Possibly an exhaust hanger has broken and the pieces are just barely touching.

Any possibility that some change or other small stuff have fallen below the center console storage area into the area under the console?

Took a quick look but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary...but I'm not a expert on cars so may have missed something.

I was thinking something like that, couldn't really find access point inside the Edge to take a good look. Any suggestions on this one?

Not that familiar with a 12, on my 09 mkx the bottom tray lifts out to make the second storage compartment deeper, but it also exposes to inside of the console (small stuff could fall in there). Was thinking that there may be something similar on yours.

Any possibility that something may have fallen under the rear seat (sound travels).