Evolution Performance, Inc - Custom Tuned Ford Edge - More Power and Torque!

mainlogo.jpg

My name is Fred and I'm one of the owners of Evolution Performance, Inc., we have the Fastest 2007-2008 Shelby GT500 in the Country (9.57 @ 149MPH). We sponsor the sister site of this forum, stangsunleashed.com.

I recently bought my wife a 2007 Ford Edge SEL+ AWD and being that every vehicle I own is a Ford, I had to custom tune it.

I use SCT Advantage III and flash the vehicle with an SCT X3.

I have been working on the following custom tunes for the Ford Edge: 87 Octane-Fuel Economy, 87 Octane-Performance, 91 Octane-Performance, and 93 Octane-Performance.

I am able to change any parameter in the Ford computer. So if you put bigger Wheels and Tires on your Edge and the tire revolutions are not exact, I can correct for that.

I have been extensively working on the 91 and 93 Octane Performance Tunes for the Edge, it feels so much crisper and snappy and barely any drive-by-wire throttle lag.

I have increased the timing throughout the power band, disabled all torque reductions, tweaked the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) and the VCT (Variable Cam Timing)

Since I only have a 2WD Dyno, I am unable to dyno my Edge, but I had a bung welded in before the Catalytic Converter so I can accurately measure the A/F (Air Fuel Ratio) while I’ve been road logging the Edge for the past two weeks.

Based on my 10+ Years Custom Tuning Cars, Trucks, and SUV’s this definitely feels like a 25-30 RWHP and 25-35 RWTQ gain.

I will be offering my Ford Edge Custom Tunes on an SCT X3 for $400.00, which will include 3 Custom Tunes of your choice. 87 Octane-Fuel Economy, 87 Octane-Performance, 91 Octane-Performance, and 93 Octane-Performance.

If you have any questions please respond to this thread or call 610-485-3596 and ask for Fred.

These will be available for purchase November 1st, 2007.

X3-3.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred, i just wrote your phone # down...i will definitly be calling u to purchase this within the next 2 weeks. I do have 22" wheels with 305/40-22 tires though...can you adjust for that big of wheel/tire in the tune??

I am not Fred..but on my SCT on my F350 6.0L Diesel the SCT will calibrate the trans shift points for the larger diameter tires and wheels so that your shift points are correct..but as far as on my application and other as far as I know, an SCT X-cal cannot calibrate or adjust the actual speedometer.

I have been wrong once before. LOL

But it should also be able to read and clear DTC's, which is a nice option.

As far as tunes go Fred..how much would unlimited tuning run? I know I paid 400 for my SCT @ GoGoDiesel.com from Doug and that came with unlimited tuning..and its endless on the diesels..ya know..

I want one of these..I know the three tunes are great..but I know you will come up with a higher performance tune later that I would want but also dont want to spend 25.00 or 50.00 per tune if and when you come out with a new one.

I have seen your shelby on youtube..and its badass..9.57 is wicked.

Thanks,

Adam

Well,

I don't understand half of what you are talking about, but here are some questions:

1. I'm in New York. - is this something that you would send up here and someone else would install?

2. What are the actual performance gains, in layman terms? Are we talking better acceleration? Higher top speed? Better handling, work with me here.

3. What is the impact on the safety of the car? Does this reduce the lifetime of the vehicle or , more importantly, the safety of the vehicle in anyway?

4. Finally, what does this cost all in and what is the process?

Frankly, I'd like to the see the following on my car and would be willing to pay for it:

1. Improved acceleration

2. Tighter, more responsive handling in turning, swerving

3. Higher top speed (de-limited)

4. Superior braking

5. Unlocking of the SYNC system to play video and surf the net.

Well......anyone?

Thanks.

PS: I don't doubt you do what you do well - I simply don't understand it.

Edited by gfhii

Well,

I don't understand half of what you are talking about, but here are some questions:

1. I'm in New York. - is this something that you would send up here and someone else would install?

2. What are the actual performance gains, in layman terms? Are we talking better acceleration? Higher top speed? Better handling, work with me here.

3. What is the impact on the safety of the car? Does this reduce the lifetime of the vehicle or , more importantly, the safety of the vehicle in anyway?

4. Finally, what does this cost all in and what is the process?

Frankly, I'd like to the see the following on my car and would be willing to pay for it:

1. Improved acceleration

2. Tighter, more responsive handling in turning, swerving

3. Higher top speed (de-limited)

4. Superior braking

5. Unlocking of the SYNC system to play video and surf the net.

Well......anyone?

Thanks.

PS: I don't doubt you do what you do well - I simply don't understand it.

The SCT only improves 1 and 3 on your second list..or it should..it should be able to remove the speed limiter.

How an SCT handheld tuner works.

There are two methods..

the 'normal' way of getting you custom tunes is by you buying the SCT and there is a computer plug under the dash. You plug it in, turn the key on but don't start..you get your stragey code and you would call Fred and tell him what it is..he will the make a tune to that stratagey and then send a file to you via e-mail and then you would download a program onto you computer call 'liveload' ver.3 and you would plug your SCT to your computer via a standard USB printer cable then open up live load. Once liveload is open you search for your file that you received in your e-mail and double click it..it will download into the SCT handheld tuner..you do this three time..1 time for each tune..it can hold three custom tunes. Once the tunes are load to the SCT box you will disconnect from you computer and plug it into the vehicles computer port under the dash..you will then select what you want to do..'load a custom tune' turn the key on and approx. 1 min later you will have a custom tune loaded in your vehicle with custom parameters..if applicable, larger tires for shift points, and speed limiter removed, then you will have a file for you vehicle that is based on the type of fuel you want to use..see above. Once you want to set the vehicle back to stock simply plug in the SCT to the vehicle computer and select return to stock..approx. 1 min later your vehicle is back where it started.

hope this helps.

Edited by Abrannan19

Way to go Fred. I have a tune from Torrie at unleashed and I think you are right about the 20-30HP gain. It's a totally different vehicle with a tune.

All we need now is Tucker to make a CAI for it and Magnaflow to quit asking $800 for a catback system..... Weak

Sweet. I'm currently driving an 05 legacy GT /w accessport tune. Cool to see I can do the same when my 08 Edge limited gets here. For less it would seem.

I'll still miss the LGT though. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just traded in my hopped up 07 Mustang for an Edge, so you're saying I shouldn't sell my XCAL II JUST YET? :hyper:

The 'locked in' part means you can only use it for one car at a time as it saves your factory tune on the tuner and you 'swap' it with one of the custom tunes. In my case, I am returning the GT to stock and I just need to replace the tunes with ones for an Edge.

Edited by kevinb120

The x-cal2 are vin locked and just changing your vehicle back to stock does not unlock the tuner.

there is a process.

I know the process to unlock them..they can be unlocked up to 5 times.

BUT like said above apparently the x-cal 2 will not work on the edge..My tuner posted up on the SCT forum..and they said the same thing but no exact reason for having to do so was given. So as of now..I think you have to use the x-cal 3 which sucks.

Edited by Abrannan19

So if we have a K&N and The Gibson Catback, is that going to change the way the tuner is tuned? (I am not sure if I asked that the right way). #2- Our Edge is primarly the wifes car. If she has a problem and gets towed to the dealer for any sort of problem, does it screw with our beloved warranty? Or will they erase the program and set it back to Ford specs??

Wow, this is interesting stuff. I've been a computer hacker/upgrader all my life, and love tinkering with things to get better performance out of them, but I haven't messed around with tweaking a car's performance since the early 80's.

I've only had my 2008 Edge Limited two days, and am very happy with it so far, but this thread intrigues me.

I'll be hitting Google for more info on this kind of stuff, of course, but anyone have recommendations for good reading sites.

Also, some basic questions for a real car-knowledge-challenged guy:

How big a mileage hit would the "performance tunes" negatively affect fuel mileage?

How much improvement in mileage does the "economy tune" provide?

Are the tunes compatible with the 2008 FWD model, or does AWD impact the process?

Would this void the vehicle warranty in any way?

If I took the vehicle into the dealer for servicing, would they detect the tweaks, and would it be an issue?

Edited by DistortedEdge

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, this is interesting stuff. I've been a computer hacker/upgrader all my life, and love tinkering with things to get better performance out of them, but I haven't messed around with tweaking a car's performance since the early 80's.

I've only had my 2008 Edge Limited two days, and am very happy with it so far, but this thread intrigues me.

I'll be hitting Google for more info on this kind of stuff, of course, but anyone have recommendations for good reading sites.

Also, some basic questions for a real car-knowledge-challenged guy:

How big a mileage hit would the "performance tunes" negatively affect fuel mileage?

Are the tunes compatible with the 2008 FWD model, or does AWD impact the process?

If I took the vehicle into the dealer for servicing, would they detect the tweaks, and would it be an issue?

I too am interested in these questions being answered before I take this plunge... anyone can shed some additional light?

kyle

I've done similar tunes on F150's. I've had a Dynamax Cat back, Flowmaster 40 series twice, and 1) Magnaflow. All four trucks had FIPK's from K&N. One had a Diablo Chip and it definitely Blew. That was in their early days, maybe they are better now, if they are even in Business. I had Hypertech on the next three and liked them real well But I knew the man that did the tuning at Hypertech and while living in Memphis we changed all kinds of Stuff and it ran real good.

I find it very hard, for myself anyway, to feel 25 HP when it was, say 250HP, to start with. Now on a Dyno you can tell for sure what you are getting. This man, Fred says he has a Dyno and I trust that he knows what he is talking about.

There is a warning on the Box or in the manual of most of these devices about taking them to a dealer without switching back to the factory settings. Unless it is a repair that doesn't entail hooking into the OBD port. Yes the dealer can tell if he plugs into the OBD. It will show them any change that is out of factory design spec.

However most of these devices simply change Shift points, adjust for Tire Dia, change Rev Limiter and top end shut down. Pretty basic stuff.

Now what Fred is talking about is much different than I have experienced and am willing to give his a try.

Now on Diesels you can make significant changes, I have never had one but friends of mine do and that difference is dramatic.

I can say that my Edge is pretty impressive to this old fart just the way it is, but I love to tinker so will be doing some mods soon, well as soon as I pay off Christmas anyway.

I've had my tune for 6 months and on the performance mode I gained about 3mpg.

I can't help you here as I've only had the performance tune in mine.

I'm sure he can set it up for either. All he needs is your computer calibration code.

Depends if you have a tight ass dealer. Generally, a tune won't void your warranty.

They would if you left the tune in the vehicle. You will get a handheld tuner and will be able to remove the tune to take it in for service.

I agree that it's hard to feel 25hp but holy crap this vehicle on a tune is a whole different driving experience! Don't hesitate on this mod! You won't regret it.