Conflicting info regarding Sync upgrade

I have a 2012 Edge Sport (with Navigation System) that I purchased in February. I called the Ford number in March and was told the upgrade was in the mail. Since I have never received it I called again today and the person told me that I have to go into the dealership that I won't be getting the upgrade in the mail (WTF?!?). Ok so I read some comments on here and on the syncmyride forum and multiple posts say it's safe to go ahead and just download and run the upgrade. I understand the navigation won't work until I get mailed a new compatible SD card or pick it up at the dealer. I'm fine with that... I can live without it until then. So I called the Ford number again to inquire about just getting the NAV card and the third person tells me that I MUST go into the dealership because my Edge is one that is "special" and I cannot upgrade it on my own and only the dealership has has the correct "tools" to do the upgrade (WTF!!)

Can someone who is "in the know" set me straight please??? If there is something about my Edge that will make the upgrade fail and only the dealership can do it... whatever but that is pretty ridiculous. I just want to be able to perform the upgrade on my own without having to waste my time making a service appt at the dealership for something so trivial

I have a 2012 Edge Sport (with Navigation System) that I purchased in February. I called the Ford number in March and was told the upgrade was in the mail. Since I have never received it I called again today and the person told me that I have to go into the dealership that I won't be getting the upgrade in the mail (WTF?!?). Ok so I read some comments on here and on the syncmyride forum and multiple posts say it's safe to go ahead and just download and run the upgrade. I understand the navigation won't work until I get mailed a new compatible SD card or pick it up at the dealer. I'm fine with that... I can live without it until then. So I called the Ford number again to inquire about just getting the NAV card and the third person tells me that I MUST go into the dealership because my Edge is one that is "special" and I cannot upgrade it on my own and only the dealership has has the correct "tools" to do the upgrade (WTF!!)

Can someone who is "in the know" set me straight please??? If there is something about my Edge that will make the upgrade fail and only the dealership can do it... whatever but that is pretty ridiculous. I just want to be able to perform the upgrade on my own without having to waste my time making a service appt at the dealership for something so trivial

Hi k2kelly,

If you've never had a software upgrade performed to date (from the dealer), then you may not be on a release of the software that is new enough to have the features required for the do it yourself user upgrade. I believe you must be at 2.4 or higher. If you login to your syncmyride account, you can download the "status checker" tool, which you can run on your Edge to update your syncmyride account with the version of the software you have. You can then go to your syncmyride account settings to view your software release. You can check that out now as if you've never updated it yourself, it should have an accurate version number.

There are several people on this forum that fall under the same group as you. Some still running very old software releases as they've been having less issues then some on much newer versions and didn't want to take the chance on upgrading.

Update: apparently c_bova beat me to the reply. I'm with him. As long as your dealer isn't too far away, it should only take about an hour and you'll also get your SD. I've gone though 2-3 dealer updates before even getting to the self install versions. Its certainly a PITA, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Cheers!

Edited by AXCL

I also have a 2012 (no nav) that I purchased in Feb. I received a letter saying I had to take it in to get the update. If I purchased this a month ago, how can it not have the newest install before the upgrade. After reading about the upgrade, I'm waiting as so far my system has worked fine.

I also have a 2012 (no nav) that I purchased in Feb. I received a letter saying I had to take it in to get the update. If I purchased this a month ago, how can it not have the newest install before the upgrade. After reading about the upgrade, I'm waiting as so far my system has worked fine.

This is why its a good idea to run the status checker. If you (or your dealer) update your MFT, but don't report your update, then Ford doesn't know you have a new release. You may be running the latest pre V3 update, however Ford doesn't know about it. I would assume that as part of the PDI, they would do all TSB's, which did include several software updates. Perhaps they didn't bother updating it as they figured the big update was coming ???

Thank You everyone for your responses. I will run the status checker and go from there. I was thinking that being such a new vehicle that my software would have been up to date enough for the owner upgrade. Ultimately if I have to go into dealership I will do that...

has very little to do with level of mytouch and more to do with build date.

11A01 - early edge, explorer mkx - take to dealer

11A02 - mid build explorer - take to dealer if self update fails or nav option doesn't come back

11A03 - late build explorer, edge, mkx, focus titanium - self update

*side note*

all edges that i've had come through the shop i have been able to do self updates on.

just leave it running and turn on your A/C so your cooling fans will run and keep the temperature of the engine down. this applies directly to the explorer due to the cooling fan issues it had in earlier builds. but we do it on all of them here for good measure and i encourage you to do the same

Edited by FordGuru

I have a 2011 Edge Ltd.. Didn't receive update in the mail...Was sent a letter saying had to bring to dealer for upgrade...Kinda funny,,,brought it to dealer,,they asked me where was my usb and map card...? they took car, kept it two days,,called me and said ready... why so long,,,told me had to change to apim card.. good to go...got in,,software's updated,,,navigation is gone....they didn't know what was wrong or what to do about it.. try to drop it off again this week and see....

11A02 - mid build explorer - take to dealer if self update fails or nav option doesn't come back

*side note*

all edges that I've had come through the shop i have been able to do self updates on.

just leave it running and turn on your A/C so your cooling fans will run and keep the temperature of the engine down. this applies directly to the explorer due to the cooling fan issues it had in earlier builds. but we do it on all of them here for good measure and i encourage you to do the same

So the Ford mailing didn't use the database that "syncmyride" accesses in order to check version numbers, they just went with the build dates? If you ask me, that wasn't very smart unless there is something we're not being told. It would have saved a lot of $$ if they ensured everyone with a high enough version received the mailing rather then going to the dealer..(No offense ;-).

I have one of the first 11' Sports, purchased Sept 10'. I guess this means my obsessive mailbox checking is likely in vain. GRRRRRR! I guess I'll get a call into Ford to see if I'm on the mailing list. I've been trying to help them out. In Canada, no mailings have hit yet, but most dealers seem to have the update. I wouldn't have been trying to be so patient.

I wouldn't have thought k2kelly's 2012' would have been classified as 11A01.

So the Ford mailing didn't use the database that "syncmyride" accesses in order to check version numbers, they just went with the build dates? If you ask me, that wasn't very smart unless there is something we're not being told. It would have saved a lot of $$ if they ensured everyone with a high enough version received the mailing rather then going to the dealer..(No offense ;-).

I have one of the first 11' Sports, purchased Sept 10'. I guess this means my obsessive mailbox checking is likely in vain. GRRRRRR! I guess I'll get a call into Ford to see if I'm on the mailing list. I've been trying to help them out. In Canada, no mailings have hit yet, but most dealers seem to have the update. I wouldn't have been trying to be so patient.

I got a letter saying to bring mine in a couple of weeks ago - I got mine Sept 10 and never updated, so I knew I had to go in. Still waiting for a more conclusive verdict on quality. :)

I got a letter saying to bring mine in a couple of weeks ago - I got mine Sept 10 and never updated, so I knew I had to go in. Still waiting for a more conclusive verdict on quality. :)

I actually picked up mine in oct 2010, I did get a postcard about the update(much later than most of the ppl who reported it online) , but no sign of the package, haven't called or bothered a dealer yet, I am currently on 2.11 but did take it into the dealer once to upgrade from 1.8 to 2.7 before I self installed the 2.11 update. Have had some issues minor, mostly looking forward to the updated maps and the faster speed.

oh and i'm in Canada so we seem to be at least a month or so behind the u.s. folks.

M.

So the Ford mailing didn't use the database that "syncmyride" accesses in order to check version numbers, they just went with the build dates? If you ask me, that wasn't very smart unless there is something we're not being told. It would have saved a lot of $ if they ensured everyone with a high enough version received the mailing rather then going to the dealer..(No offense ;-).

just because its a 12 doesnt mean that its a late build and there are TONS of other variables. what i posted is just a general rule.

I have a 2011 Edge Ltd.. Didn't receive update in the mail...Was sent a letter saying had to bring to dealer for upgrade...Kinda funny,,,brought it to dealer,,they asked me where was my usb and map card...? they took car, kept it two days,,called me and said ready... why so long,,,told me had to change to apim card.. good to go...got in,,software's updated,,,navigation is gone....they didn't know what was wrong or what to do about it.. try to drop it off again this week and see....

its a known error on the APIM software update server. your dealer needs to put in a hotline request for assistance so that the engineers can verify what i'm saying against your VIN number and correct the issue when they do a forced re-programming on your APIM to give your navigation back.

just because its a 12 doesnt mean that its a late build and there are TONS of other variables. what i posted is just a general rule.

There must be a other variables as you stated. I just called the hotline and was told I'm on the list to receive the upgrade package and shouldn't need a dealer install.

*side note*

all edges that i've had come through the shop i have been able to do self updates on.

Where do I find the "11A01" etc... build date code? The sticker on the driver side says build date of 11/11. Not sure how to get the rest of the code. Sorry if it is posted somewhere here already-- I looked and even googled but could not find it.

I found the code on this website: http://www.etis.ford.com You enter your VIN number on the vehicle tab. It says my code is 11A02:

Outstanding Field Service Actions

11A02 - SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - PERFORMANCE UPGRADE

12M01 - RRANTY EXTENSION

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Cool link, but that's just wack! My 11' has:

11A03 - SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - PERFORMANCE UPGRADE

12M01 - RRANTY EXTENSION

How can I possibly be a later build then a 12' model?

Cool link, but that's just wack! My 11' has:

11A03 - SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - PERFORMANCE UPGRADE

12M01 - RRANTY EXTENSION

How can I possibly be a later build then a 12' model?

mine is the same (2011 Edge LTD) built Oct 2010. 11A03 is listed.

M.