LED Switchback Turn Signal Install

So... Some interesting information. I just sent back my Type 2, 5Ks and VLEDs confirmed that they work no problem (right!?). So I called them back and spoke with a knowledgeable guy (didnt get his name) and we were discussing why they didnt work, blah, blah, blah. I mentioned this forum and this application should work....

VLEDs summary and advice for the Edge is that APPARENTLY the type 1 bulbs do NOT need any modification. If you use a Type 2 bulb, then you will need to use 6 ohm resistors (he went on and on why, but I somewhat tuned it out, once I got his summary) wired to the blinker and ground.

My question, does anyone have Type 2's installed with no mods and have them working properly?

FYI... He also mentioned that there are no 5K type 1's due to lack of interest.

So... Some interesting information. I just sent back my Type 2, 5Ks and VLEDs confirmed that they work no problem (right!?). So I called them back and spoke with a knowledgeable guy (didnt get his name) and we were discussing why they didnt work, blah, blah, blah. I mentioned this forum and this application should work....

VLEDs summary and advice for the Edge is that APPARENTLY the type 1 bulbs do NOT need any modification. If you use a Type 2 bulb, then you will need to use 6 ohm resistors (he went on and on why, but I somewhat tuned it out, once I got his summary) wired to the blinker and ground.

My question, does anyone have Type 2's installed with no mods and have them working properly?

FYI... He also mentioned that there are no 5K type 1's due to lack of interest.

Thanks for finding out that information. Are you going to add the resistors or go for the type 1's?

I think for now, I am going to stick with my OEMS (horrible, I know). I really like the type 2 functionality, but I am not about to start wiring resisitors in just for a turn signal bulb. Besides, I've got my DRL brightlites coming any day now, so plenty of LED goodness in front for me!

Please do Shantz. The ones I got were just under 9 bucks and they were cool enough to refund my Paypal because of the defective one. They didn't even ask me to send them back. Very curious to hear how yours work out.

My Switchback LED's

When I first installed them, they work backwards! The DRL illuminates amber - and they flasher illuminates white. Because they're LED, this is not just as simple as turning the bulb around. After several exhaustive hours of internet research, it appears it may be as simple as adjusting the leads on the bottom of the switchback bulb to the opposite orientation... I plan on tackling this sometime over the next few evenings. I'll take pics and post results.

As they were a fraction of the price compared to some I've seen, this so far is a small hurdle I am willing to live with. I'll let you know how they turn out.

I attempted to flip the leads on the bottom of the bulb to the opposite sides of the connector and when I installed them it appeared to be correct... the switchbacks illuminated white!

However, upon trying the signal - devistation :(

The signal now operates with the white remaining illuminated - AW vs. AO and have the common rapid-flash which was not evident prior to the lead swap...When I operate the 4-way flashers, they work correctly. I'm glad they were only a few bucks opposed to what some members are paying... but I think I may bite the bullet and buy some quality ones from V-LEDS.

Sounds like you got the same ones I did Shantz. Even though it's easy to take care of the rapid flash, the white leds remaining lit with the turn signal is a big saftey problem. I might try and take apart one of mine and see if my buds on candlepowerforums can think of a way to get the white leds to turn off when the turn signal is activated.

Messed around with these cheap e-bay SB's again. Like Shantz did, I reversed the wires on the backwards one and it now functions properly. Only one of mine causes the rapid flash. These would actually work just fine if we could figure out a way to turn off the white leds while the signal is activated. The white leds are really bright but a little on the cool side. After looking at them for a while, I think I actually prefer the amber look when driving around with only the parking lights on. I think I'm gonna stick with the chrome coated amber bulbs I installed.

C, not sure if you want to see the cheap SB's or the chrome/amber bulbs. Here's a link to the bulbs. I have them in the front and rear turn signals and they work great and look awesome. Eliminating the amber from the tail lights really looks nice!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3757-Silver-Chrome-Natural-Amber-Bulb-/170745668393?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c13c2329

Don't remmember 1 or 2s, on back order for a month. When headlights are on turn signal is white when turn sig activated white is on and flash amber.

Day light flash amber. I will be happy to look up order if this does not help and give you specifics.

JUST CHECKED, TYPE 1

Edited by mtbalser

New development with these cheap e-bay switchbacks. I've had them in a few days and they no longer cause the fast blink. Matter of fact, they are working perfect. Not really sure why the fast blink went away. Now, if I can just figure out how to get the white leds to shut off when signaling with the parking or headlamps on. The amber signal shows up just fine during the day when I don't have the headlights on.