LED Switchback Turn Signal Install

I just returned my V3 TRITON 5K WHITE AMBER TYPE 2 SWITCHBACK to V-Leds. I tried them in the 2011’s front turn signal/parking lamps. They didn’t work and after a couple of attempts with their customer support folks and more experimenting on my own, I gave up and returned them.

Thanks for the heads up Weezer... That sucks about the compatability issue!

Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait for Dan to finish up his DTBL DRL v2's in order to mod a few more things.

Hmm... What to do next...?

I am wondering if the Tritons require the resistor in order to work.

V-Leds sells an assembly for the V3 Tritons called the CLS. It’s supposed to fix the so called “Hyper Flash” problem. My initial order did not include the CLS. However, after calling V-Leds customer support they told me the CLS would fix the problem. I ordered a pair - one for each assembly - it did not help.

The CLS is an aluminum box about 1”x1”x4” and has inside the enclosure a couple of sockets and a 20 watt G4 bulb installed in one of the sockets. They also include an extra 35 watt G4 bulb, neither bulb installed helped.

I tried inserting a 6 ohm, 50 watt resistor in the socket in place of the 20 watt G4 bulb, again, no joy.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a set of the original V-led type 1 switchbacks. When I plug them in, all that works is the amber turn signal. The white leds are not coming on at all with the parking lamps or turn signals. I know the white leds work cuz they come on when I first start to insert the bulb in the socket. Seems like I'm having a contact issue. Anyone have any ideas??????

Well, the whole reason I wanted the V-led type 1's was so I would not need resistors. Everything I've read on here says they are the only true plug-n-play switchys for our Edges. I thought the load resistors were only used to prevent the hyper-flash problem.

I’m not sure which type 1 switchbacks you’ve ordered, but these v-leds work without load resistors in my 2011.

3157_60_SMT_WA1_6K

TYPE 1 DUAL COLOR CHANGING WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 60 TURN SIGNAL BULBS 3157 3157NA 3357 3457 4157 4057 | 1 PAIR

I agree it seems like a contact issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The difficulty finding "type 1" or "type 2" bulbs may come from the fact that only V-LEDs uses those designations. Check out http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html . They designate theirs as AW (amber-white) or AO (amber-off) depending on how the turn signals flash and they have both types in stock.

Edited by TheWizard

Has anyone used these where the turn signals are DRL's? My Edge uses the bright portion of the front turn signals for DRL. At night, the dim portion of the light comes on and the bright only flashes with turn signal or emergency flashers activation.

What config would the amber/white be in this case? White during the day with amber flash for turn signal or other way around?

Sorry guys - I've fixed the link.

Switchbacks have amber LEDs on the "bright" (turn signal) circuit and white LEDs on the "dim" (parking light) circuit. In your case, the DRLs and the turn signals will be amber. At night, the lamps will be white but the turn signals will continue to flash amber. It's up to you whether you get the AW type which will alternate white and amber when flashing at night or the AO type which will flash amber and off at night (both types will flash amber/off during the day). The page I linked has an animation of the two different bulb types to give you a better idea how they look.

Edited by TheWizard

Autolumination.com sells both types. Look for the "CAN-BUS" version on their website to avoid the hyper-flash issue. Personally I prefer using external resistors because you can put them on the turn signal side of the circuit and still have reduced current draw advantage of LEDs for the parking lights.