How often to change oil on Ford Edge SEL 2010?

morningmist

Hello All,

On our Ford Edge SEL 2010, how often do we have to change the oil at the dealer ?

Our dealer said that these new vehicles have to be changed every 8000KM (not 5000km like it used to be)

Maybe I am old school, but I was brought up always to change the oil every 5000km ?

Why are these new vehicles every 15,000KM ?

Edited by morningmist

The factory oil is a synthetic blend and today's oils and engines are better than they used to be. Follow the owner's manual recommendation which I think is 5K miles.

Thanks! The concern I had is, is it 6 months OR 5000 miles?

So, I only drove 1875 miles in 6 months, so when I go the dealer to change to or from my winter tires every 6 months, is it ok that we didn't change the oil? Yes, it was a synthetic oil we got last time.

When we check into the dealer, they always ask us for the current mileage on the vehicle, would their computers at the Ford Service counter ALERT the customer AUTOMATICALLY that it's time to change the oil for that customer?

Edited by morningmist

Thanks! The concern I had is, is it 6 months OR 5000 miles?

So, I only drove 1875 miles in 6 months, so when I go the dealer to change to or from my winter tires every 6 months, is it ok that we didn't change the oil? Yes, it was a synthetic oil we got last time.

When we check into the dealer, they always ask us for the current mileage on the vehicle, would their computers at the Ford Service counter ALERT the customer AUTOMATICALLY that it's time to change the oil for that customer?

Change it every 6 months if you're using the factory oil (recommended). If you're using full synthetic you might be able to do it once a year but that's pushing it.

Change it every 6 months if you're using the factory oil (recommended). If you're using full synthetic you might be able to do it once a year but that's pushing it.

Both Mercedes and BMW have a 1 year service interval. So I go 1 year without changing my oil which is 10 quarts and runs around $475 in Canada. Needless to say over the last year I have only driven about 1000 miles and my level 2 service is coming up for about $1,000. I think I get the tires checked and air filter changed for the B service interval.

in the owners manual for my 2012 there is a section called scheduled maintenance. For changing it just says do not exceed 1 year or 10,000 miles.

Then it tells you when, with normal driving it says 7500-10,000 miles, severe driving, 5000-7499, and extreme 3000-4999

in the owners manual for my 2012 there is a section called scheduled maintenance. For changing it just says do not exceed 1 year or 10,000 miles.

Then it tells you when, with normal driving it says 7500-10,000 miles, severe driving, 5000-7499, and extreme 3000-4999

Thanks! The driving that we did the last 6 months since we changed the oil was 2500 miles, normal driving. So I think we're ok then to wait until October to change the oil again (which would make it one year since we changed the oil)

Both Mercedes and BMW have a 1 year service interval. So I go 1 year without changing my oil which is 10 quarts and runs around $475 in Canada. Needless to say over the last year I have only driven about 1000 miles and my level 2 service is coming up for about $1,000. I think I get the tires checked and air filter changed for the B service interval.

Thanks! Do you get your service done at your ford dealer?

In BC, do you have to put winter tires? In quebec it's the law and we have to put winter tires.

My 2012 Edge will tell me when it needs to be changed. Based on how car has been used. Short trips, long trips, average oil temps, averae water temps, stuff like that. I'm guessing around 7500 miles. Not there yet.

My Honda is same way. But it does a lot of urban trips, and has me change it around 6000-6500 miles.

My 2012 Edge will tell me when it needs to be changed. Based on how car has been used. Short trips, long trips, average oil temps, averae water temps, stuff like that. I'm guessing around 7500 miles. Not there yet.

My Honda is same way. But it does a lot of urban trips, and has me change it around 6000-6500 miles.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined since we purchased a 2010 Lincoln MKX recently & I wanted to establish some internet sites that I could use to further my intro to this car.

However, that aside, I have been involved in racing and sports cars, not to mention several lease vehicles over the years. I began using a synthetic from one of the leading oil companies (U.S.) at the recommendation from some of our engineers. That's when I learned that this synthetic NEVER breaks down. It just gets dirty and looks bad. But he went on to say that if I didn't drive over 24,000 miles per year, one annual oil change was all required. That has been my pattern ever since and I have never had any engine problems, at all. Now that I am retired, I tend to average about 15,000 miles per year, but I still change it once a year. Current example is my 2000 V-6 GMC Sonoma truck. It has 95,000+ miles on it has never required an additional drop of the synthetic, nor has it had any maintenance but for 2 alternators, and a serpentine belt.

Point is ... if you're using synthetics and not really racking up miles in a year (say 15,000 - 20,000 avg.) you're "golden." But then, YMMV!

Glad I found this forum. Cool place. Gotta go look around some.

• 5 months later...

Interesting subject. Have a 2010 Edge AWD LMTD, w/23,350 miles. We have the oil/filter change done every 5K miles at our dealership (Lakeview Ford, BC, MI), and also have them check tire balance, and perform a tire rotation at the same time. It works out well for us, and we kill three birds with one stone at the same time.