VMP Tune Dyno Results

dhs1174

I know people have been waiting to find out what or edges can do so here it is!

Stock with CAI and Exhaust my edge pulled 248 hp and 233 torque.

With VMP Tune we pulled 263 hp and 237 torque.

Also to note, the edge pulled a torque increase from 193 to 231 on the low end, so that's a huge gain!

Justin @ VMP Tuning is awesome i am very happy with the results. I highly recommend him to do our edges.

VMP Tuningsteeda dyno run.pdf

You have a '11 Sport right? I thought the sports came with ~305hp and the 3.5L came with ~285hp. I'm afraid to test mine now.

The factory numbers are at the flywheel - just the engine. The dyno numbers are at the rear wheels. You lose power going through the transmission, differential, axles and wheels. It used to be about a 20% - 25% loss but that's lower now.

My guess is the CAI and cat-back only added a few hp to the stock numbers - the factory setup is already optimized.

The tuner gains were most likely the result of advancing the timing which requires premium fuel.

The factory numbers are at the flywheel - just the engine. The dyno numbers are at the rear wheels. You lose power going through the transmission, differential, axles and wheels. It used to be about a 20% - 25% loss but that's lower now.

My guess is the CAI and cat-back only added a few hp to the stock numbers - the factory setup is already optimized.

The tuner gains were most likely the result of advancing the timing which requires premium fuel.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

How is a tune going to add power without advancing the timing? I doubt there is much room to advance the timing and keep it on 87.

the low end could probably be fixed by changing the throttle mapping as it seems there is a delay when you step on it. you aren't going to get tons of power without modifying timing but you can probably get some by changing tables, I'm not sure what tables there are but you could lean it out a bit too.

the low end could probably be fixed by changing the throttle mapping as it seems there is a delay when you step on it. you aren't going to get tons of power without modifying timing but you can probably get some by changing tables, I'm not sure what tables there are but you could lean it out a bit too.

Increasing throttle response would make it quicker to drive on the street but it won't make more power on the dyno. And how would leaning it out add power?

it runs 14.1 at WOT? I doubt that. Coming from tuning my mazdaspeed6 that thing ran 9.5-10.0 at WOT, but we would lean them out to 11.6-12 which was still safe, I know different cars, but I don't think any car runs that lean at WOT. That is more like cruising AFRs.

By leaning out you improve the combustion efficiency, by getting a more efficient burn, but you run the risk of running hotter. Adding power isn't just tweaking timing, there is more to it with fueling and other things.

Edited by c_bova

By leaning out you improve the combustion efficiency, by getting a more efficient burn, but you run the risk of running hotter. Adding power isn't just tweaking timing, there is more to it with fueling and other things.

Good to know. But I can't imagine that would be a very big increase.

So can you spin those 22's now. :rockon:

So can you spin those 22's now. :rockon:

I was always able to get a little chirp out of 'em before, but yes now they spin!

Sorry if I missed an earlier post, but is your Sport AWD or FWD? Drive train losses, of course, are higher through AWD.

P.S. previous boosted cars I had, the turner would aim for mid 11's A/F at WOT on the dyno. But again, boosted applications.

My sport is FWD. I highly recommend Justin @ VMP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How are you tuning it and what do you buy to put the data into the system. I'm new to this just got 2013 edge sport.

I bought an sct programmer and had a certified tuner write me a file to install on the machine. Once the file is on the device, its just a matter of plugging the device in and following on screen directions. You can get a sct tuning device and a custom file written from vmp tuning or morepowertuning.com. I would check sctflash.com to see if the have a database for your pcm first though.

• 2 weeks later...