question about center console cup holders..

I have had my Edge for a couple of months now and I still have not received teh cup holdre inserts from my dealer. I have checked with my saleman three times with no luck. He keeps saying that his manager has not approved them yet. I sent an email the last time to document to problem. If I do not hear from him next week, I will go above his head. It is a shame that such a small item should tarnish an otherwise excellent sales and service relationship.

just go test drive a new Edge on his day off and err.... 'confiscate' a pair :)

Our Edge is a 2008 and we picked it up last December. When I got it they had the rubber pieces in the cupholders but I didn't see any foam pieces anywhere. What do they do? Are they worth going to the dealership to get? If they don't serve much purpose I don't want to do anything with them. thanks for your imput.

Hi Cindy. :D Here is how to find out if you have the elusive "foam pieces" (they are actually "screw covers"): You know the place where you put your fingers to grab the door and pull it closed when you are inside the car (i.e. the "door pull")? Well, look down into that rectangular shaped "door pull" hole. Can you see the screw that is in the bottom of that door pull? If you can not see any screw at the bottom of that door pull, your screw covers are there.

Now, look in the other three doors. Can you see the screw that is down in those other three "door pulls"? Again, if you can not see the head of a screw in the bottom of those door pull areas, the "foam pieces" are already there. The "foam pieces" simply sit in the bottom of that rectangular hole and cover the screw heads. They are just screw covers, and are simply there for aesthetic purposes.

So if you can not see the screws, you are all set. If you can see the screws, you are missing the "foam pieces" (screw covers). You then need to ask your Dealer to order the missing screw covers ("foam pieces").

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Lex and I were both answering your question at the same time. :stats: Sorry for the somewhat repetitive post.

Edited by bbf2530

I went back for mine because they weren't in there when I bought the Edge. The salesman didn't even know about them either.. He took some from a Fusion on the lot and said to try those out.. ((They were too large))

On the way home, I found them in a small bag in my drivers side door lower cup holder.

Funny how everyone has their own little story on these...

Can someone tell me if the Cup Holder inserts are the same cheaper material as the door handle inserts, or are they more like the molded inserts that are found in front of the shifter and on top of the dash?

Hi gradywhite. :D EDITED - bobbyz95 posted pictures in his post below.

They simply make clean up easier. They also probably provide a bit of cushioning/rattle prevention/sound insulation, so cans/bottles etc make less noise while driving.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi gradywhite. :D They are black rubber "cups". About two inches high. They sit in the bottom of the console cup holders. In this way, if you spill anything or have condensation dripping off a cold drink container, most of it will sit in the insert. Then, you can just pull out the removable insert to wash it and clean it, instead of having to clean the bottom of the non-removable console cup holder.

They simply make clean up easier. They also probably provide a bit of cushioning/rattle prevention/sound insulation, so cans/bottles etc make less noise while driving.

I am still getting teh runaround from my dealer (JC Lewis Ford Savannah GA). I have almost 2000 miles on my car and I still don't have cup holders. They are saying that it is just simple flat pieces of rubber similar to the door handle inserts.

Would someone please take a couple of photos for me? One with the cup holders installed and one with them standing alone. I would greatly appreciate it. I can't believe that I have had to make multiple phone calls and multiple trips back to the dealer for somehting so small.

Thanks in advance.

Hi gradywhite and bobbyz95. :D Okay, my bad. I assumed the Edge cup holder inserts were similar to the ones I have in my MKZ (which are the type I described above "2 inch high rubber cups").

Those flat inserts would seem to simply serve a main function of minimizing rattles from cans and bottles placed in the cupholders.

I will revise my previous reply to remove the incorrect information I posted.

Like they always say, "When you assume, you make an...out of you (u) and me".

Sorry for the misinformation.

Edited by bbf2530

There have got to be some pretty crappy dealers out there if they can't follow up on something as small as this. Things like this are how I judge a dealship. It may be only a 1 dollar item, but it sort of sets the tone for everything else in the future at that dealership. If you are talking to a salesman, I'd go the manager/owner of the dealership & let them know how I feel. They don't want & can't afford negative publicity right now, so they should bend over backwards to get this taken care of.

Here's pics. With, without, and just the inserts.

post-825-1224362416_thumb.jpg

post-825-1224362431_thumb.jpg

post-825-1224362441_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for the photos. Thanks to every one else for there information. This has allowed me to shut down the salesman when he first tried to tell me that maybe they didn't come with any, and also when he tried to tell me that it was basically the same material that you line shelves with. I think he was actually trying to get me to go make my own instead of him having to handle it.

I can now forward these photos and ask to speak to the manager to get this handled.

Thanks again fellow Edgees.