2012 Edge Ecoboost Buring Oil, HELP!

thebe001

This is my first post/thread on this forum so be kind. My girl friend just go a 2012 Edge Ecoboost this Feb and she is coming up on here first service/ oil change (10,000 miles). I checked the oil the other day and found there was absolutely NO oil on the dip stick. After adding 3 qts of oil I finally go the oil up to a reasonable level (about 1/2 qt from full). A few warning light came on a few days ago, one was a "high oil temp" light that flashed one time for a second and has not came on again and the other was the "change engine oil soon" light. She is bringing it into the dealership this week for the first service, we will see what Ford has to say. Has any one had excessive oil consumption? How much oil do you burn between oil changes? HELP!

Edited by thebe001

• 11 months later...

Leaky turbo or oil cooler comes to mind right away. Are you seeing any blue smoke out the exhaust? Any smell/drips on road/garage floor?

More serious implications could be blown head gasket (in which case coolant would be compromised and color of oil/coolant would change due to mixing) or bad piston ring(s) creating blowby.

I am experiencing same issue on just purchased, used edge, hope you have positive news on Ford fixing it.

What year, model, engine Edge do you have? How many miles does it have? Did you check the oil when you first purchased it to verify the oil level? How far was it down when you decided it was low? If you initially checked the oil level and it was full, how many miles have you put on it until you determined that you have a problem?

What year, model, engine Edge do you have? How many miles does it have? Did you check the oil when you first purchased it to verify the oil level? How far was it down when you decided it was low? If you initially checked the oil level and it was full, how many miles have you put on it until you determined that you have a problem?

I see that you provided this information in the Ecoboost forum: "Very concerned, here on week 3 of owning my 2012 ecoboost edge, purchased with 8500 miles on it from big GM car lot, had fresh oil change, and I see the oil is down to add mark after just 450 miles, I know it was full when I bought it, and last week i saw it at 3/4 down. So its off to the Ford dealer to see what they have to say. Quite a damper on my enthusiasm over purchase of the most expensive car i have ever bought., by 2x."

I can't answer your question but I'd be really interested to know what you find out. A used car with only 8,500 miles on it and it's going through that much oil - my suspician meter is pinging. Can Ford tell you anything on the vehicle sales history? Although I don't know if it could in any way be the cause, a lot of newish cars are hitting the market after being flood damaged in the New York area from the storm. With that few miles I can't help but wonder about that.

It is not unusual for a new engine to experience oil consumption. I know of some 5.0 Coyote engines that lose as much as a quart in 2,000 miles until they get broken in. If the oil hadn't been checked for nearly 10K miles it's quite possible it could be down three quarts. Get the oil changed and then monitor oil consumption for the next few thousand miles. You should find that it has stopped or at least slowed to a small amount now that the engine is broken in.

Yes, a 2012 edge, 2.0 ecoboost, just purchased 3 weeks ago with 8500 miles on it, the GM dealer serviced it before the sale, I checked dipstick and it was full when I got it, 1 weeks ago it was down 3/4 quart, and now it was at add mark, down a full quart, about 450 miles since purchase.

I stopped by Ford dealer today, pulled up service records for VIN, no issues, other than software updates, all local to Florida.

They want to do an oil change, look for leaks, and monitor as next step, as i expected. Of coarse they said 1 quart per 1000 miles is in spec.

I see no smoke out tail pipe, I looked thru gap at rear of shield, no oil drips off engine. A bad PCV valve can also be possible issue. Besides turbo, rings, valve stem seals, who know where else a vacuum leak inside engine could be pulling in oil

I can't believe Ford saying 1 quart every 1000 miles is within acceptable specifications. I can believe a dealer telling you that, but would ask for some type of documentation with Ford letterhead saying so.

For what it is worth, GM is having some oil consumption problems with some of their 2010-2011 2.4 engines in the Equinox and Terrain. They have issued a document saying 1 quart in every 2000 miles would be acceptable.

Okay, I have a new theory, I just remebered, that during the sales process I was shown what service was done to the Edge, namely the oil changed, and I saw they added Zmax. I looked on the web and found it is normal for the Zmax to disapear (absorbed, evaportaed, whatever), and is normal to see levle on dip stick drop first few hundred miles. So seeing 12 ounce drop on the dip stick is 3/4 quart. I though i was down a full quart, but will adimit I might not have been that accurate.

So I need a few hundred more miles to see if the oil level stays or keeps dropping before i take it to the dealer.

Hoping for the best, and for now, the knot in my stomach is almost gone with my new theory.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

2012 Ford Edge SEL, 2.0L Ecoboast. Help, they used the wrong Oil!!!!!

I just got the oil changed at one of those quick oil change places. They put in 5W20 instead of 5W30 (what I told them to use). Is this going to cause any issues with my engine and/or extended warranty?

Edited by Cyndy Huston Carstens