Engine hum/straining noise with AC on

Mcoates94

Hi all -

Curious if anyone else with a 2011 3.5 hear the same thing I'm hearing. With the air off - all is good and quiet. If the air is on, when accelerating from a stop I hear this 'straining' type noise coming the engine compartment. It starts in 1st gear and gets really noticable in 2nd and 3rd gears. Then it seems to disappear come 4th gear.

At first I was thinking power steering of some sort but I have assuredly narrowed it down to when the air is on.

Any thoughts on where to look or diagnose further?

Thanks

I don't hear anything when Im driving, only when Im parked. I def chaulked it up to be the Aircon. It is loud and I dont like it. Makes me feel like my car is out-dated or something. But it is getting hotter where I am and the climate control is set to auto when I remote start it. So it really starts to blow until I get in the vehicle. There is a lot of fan noise and some clicking, but its normal as far as I know. I do not hear what you describe when I drive though.

• 1 month later...

It is definitely only a noise heard with the A/C on. Momentarily ( a second or two) after turning the A/C off, the noise stops. To add more info, the noise is proportionate the RPM level - more RPM's more prominent noise. It also only occurs during acceleration. I do not hear it at idle or while reving in neutral.

• 5 weeks later...