Speaker upgrade

Today I finished my speaker replacements. It's too bad that Boston Acoustics is getting out of the car audio game, but I was able to pick up some of their speakers for a pretty good price.

post-22419-0-79114800-1338076975_thumb.jpg

I put SR80 speakers in the front, and they barely fit in the opening. I had to cut off the alignment tabs for the factory paper speakers, and was only able to get 3 screws in the factory holes. I had to put self tapper in the for the 4th hole. But they went in, and sound great.

post-22419-0-68198000-1338076998_thumb.jpg

I also put in SC85 speakers in the back, and had to finagle the speakers into the mounting holes, but I won in the long run.

post-22419-0-32300600-1338077209_thumb.jpg

I don't know what other car companies use, but these stock speakers up front are the cheapest speakers I've ever seen. The plastic tweeter, paper woofer, in a plastic basket is pretty lame. What I was surprised me was that the inside door frame is all plastic bolted to the edge of the frame. Everything is back together, and it sure sounds much nicer.

I'm working up a step by step removal guide and replacement guide. Hanging the door panel back on is a bit tricky if you don't know what to look for.

You'd be surprised. The existing sub box can easily be modified to hold any shallow mount 10" sub. There is tons of room back behind the panel and Ford didn't use nearly all of it for airspace on the existing 8" subwoofer. If you do it that way you are not forced to pay that crazy price for a subwoofer and box from JL unless that is just what you are set on and then you should of course do what you want. IT's just another option.

Good luck with all your audio upgrades in the future!

• 1 month later...

Follow up on the install.

I a about to remove the SR80s from the front and possibly just swap them with the SC85s in the rear. The main problem is the pull handle almost perfectly blocks the tweeter from the ear. I get a pretty bad dead spot. If that doesn't work, I may pull them all out and get some Infinity's with the directional tweeter. I don't know. Maybe I'm just nuts.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 edge Ltd. I went with the Infinity 5x7 co-ax in the back and 5 1/4 components in the front. I used an adapter plate for the front. I put some foam baffles in but cut out the bottom of the baffle. The baffle is in for moisture protection only. The picture shows where I put the crossover for the front components. You can see removal of the plastic piece that has the window buttons allows access to the db adjuster which is convenient, that was kind of a fluke since I didn't intend that to happen. I used velcro tape to mount the crossover. I replaced the stock tweeters in the A pillars with the Infinity's. The stock plastic tweeter mount works great for the Infinity's tweeter. Just pop out the factory tweeter put some double side tape in the mount and push the new tweeter in place. I thought about doing a surface mount but using the existing mount is cleaner. Actually the factory speakers for the 2010 Edge Ltd aren't horrible, but the Infinity's sound a bit better. I bought some sound mat to use but it is impossible to get at the outer part of the door so don't bother buying that. The sub-woofer in the back is junk, can't hear it at all. Here is a link to some pictures.

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g447/pacodog1/2010%20Ford%20edge%20Limited%20Infinity%20speaker%20install/

• 1 year later...