2013 Ford Edge Limited or SEL

OnlySkillz

Hi. I'm putting an order on a 2013 Edge. I was originally set on Limited, but I'm back to debating now.

For the Limited with all my options (I'll save you time by not stating all of them), it would be a $48,500 MSRP

For the SEL with a little less options (still satisfies my needs), it would be a $46,000 MSRP

Now that means I'm paying $2,500 more for the Limited. Here is what I get EXTRA w/ the Limited:

- 18" Chrome wheels instead of alloy

- SONY Premium sound system

- Wood trim, Piano black dash

- Vision Package (blind spot, rain-sensing wipers)

- LED Turn Signal Indicators on mirrors

- Limited Badge, silver trim under windows, break-resistant glass (not large)

Is there anything else? Even the little things?

So, is the $2,500 worth all of that? To me, only the SONY sound system, vision package, and Turn signals on mirrors are good upgrades to have, of course not mandatory..I really want the SONY though..

I will agree that the the Sony System and turn signals are a nice upgrade, the rest (esp vision package) are kinda worthless. Instead of BLIS, I think the 1.5" convex button mirrors are way more functional. Rain sensing wipers are one of the dumbest things auto makers have created. I am not a fan of my chrome wheels since they are chrome plated plastic basically fused to the rim. I thought ambient lighting was frivolous, but damn, if it isn't neat. I'm glad it came on my '12 SEL.

Don't forget to on the Edge homepage to request a brochure, you should get a $750 customer cash voucher in the mail 2 weeks later. Mine came 1 week after I bought my Edge.

(Perhaps you could sell Dingo the chrome window trim)

I will agree that the the Sony System and turn signals are a nice upgrade, the rest (esp vision package) are kinda worthless. Instead of BLIS, I think the 1.5" convex button mirrors are way more functional. Rain sensing wipers are one of the dumbest things auto makers have created. I am not a fan of my chrome wheels since they are chrome plated plastic basically fused to the rim. I thought ambient lighting was frivolous, but damn, if it isn't neat. I'm glad it came on my '12 SEL.

Don't forget to on the Edge homepage to request a brochure, you should get a $750 customer cash voucher in the mail 2 weeks later. Mine came 1 week after I bought my Edge.

(Perhaps you could sell Dingo the chrome window trim)

What do you mean by this? I have the brochure, but if I order it they should send me some sort of voucher along with it? If I purchase it in a couple of days (order it), and receive the voucher later, can I use it still?

On the Ford Edge page, on the right, there is a button that says "Get Updates". Check get info by mail, and fill it out. Later I got a post card fit $750 off (excluding the Edge SE AWD). It was sent from my local dealer, but I also thought I got one from Ford. Fine print said it can't be used with other loyaly programs, commercial deals, blah blah. Can't be used after sale.

I hope this makes more sense.

Can't you get a Limited without the vision package?

I had the same dilemma last July when I bought mine. An SEL with the Driver's Entry, Canadian Comfort and Canadian Touring packages along with the chrome 18" wheels was quite close to the Limited I ended up with. In the end I couldn't forego the Sony stereo and the backup camera (the camera is standard now I think). The ambient lighting and homelink are icing on the cake. Woodgrain I could live without though!

I just ordered a 2013 Limited Ecoboost with the 300A package and the Canadian Touring Package. I could have paid another $1650 to get the 301A package which would have given me the driver's entry package (push button start - no thanks), and power liftgate (wouldn't have minded but I can live without), and the vision package which I didn't really want either, but for me the Limited was the way to go after considering both the SEL with the 202A package and the Limited. I wanted the Sony sound system and that was only available in the Limited, so that was the deciding factor for me.

Edited by cozzy

• 4 months later...

It's hard to keep track of what's what where Ford juggles content packages every year. But for 2012 Canadian cars anyway, I went with the Limited not only for what it has standard over the SEL, but for the options on the Limited that you can't (couldn't) get with the SEL period...and I wanted everything LOL.

On the items you mentioned:

Vision package: BLIS, was no biggie at first but you get used to it and it been a light, it's very easy to pick up in your peripheral vision. But part of that package is also the cross -traffic alert (or at least it was part of that package in 2012!) which is very useful when backing out of tight spots and you can't see the roadway very well from the drivers seat - it'll even tell you which way the traffic is coming from and I've found it to be very accurate at picking up cross traffic from quite a distance. Rain sensing wipers; I've turned that feature off, doesn't work well.

SONY very nice upgrade over the standard system

Wood trim...(fake) mehhhh LOL

LED's, ambient lighting etc: nice touches. You didn't mention HID's but they're (or were..again packages change) only available on the Limited and they're a nice upgrade over stock again.

You didn't mention the adaptive cruise control, but I've found this to be a very nice piece and works very very well even in heavier traffic.

If you like "stuff" go for everything you can get, and a couple grand spread over the projected ownership period is a bit easier to take :)