Best Sirius Price Available without auto renewal

My 6 month trial subscription is up next week on Sirius in our 2012 Edge Limited with NAV. Currently been getting the "offers" in mail of 29.94 for 6 months and $95 for one year. Small print says these offers do not include Sirius Travel and Weather (which I never use), nor the royalty fees of about $1.40 month. And....after these offers expire, you automatically get billed the regular amount. And....they have your Visa card number....which I assume they use automatically. I don't want any auto billing with my Visa card.

I really like Sirius....especially CNBC, CNN, NASCAR, "oldies" etc. But there is a limit to how much I will pay. Especially since I can get weather and traffic, and stock quotes, from Sync services. Turn by turn directions also....wonder if next car I won't even need NAV if I have Sync.

Also have a 2012 Honda CRV with NAV. And XM (and Pandora if I knew how to use it). It's a much simpler system, in some ways I like it better, even though it's not in the same league tech wise with the more expensive Edge.

Bought the CRV for me to drive and haul stuff, but wife likes the CRV better than the much nicer Edge, so....I now drive the Edge,,,,and want to taylor it to my likes. I like Sirius for about a $100 a year price for all the features in our cars.

BTW.....Did the update. No problems at all with the car or MFT. My SD card gets bumped out sometimes when wife fumbles in arm rest, that is all. Don't know why they put the hazzard lights where I activate them sometimes. Otherwise....car is fine....wish it weighed about 500 lbs less and got better fuel economy with 3.5. It's pretty heavy for no bigger than it is on inside. My 2012 Honda CRV has slightly more interior volume, it's about 4-500 lbs lighter, feels about same performance wise, and gets about 30-35% better fuel economy. Understand a new more modern Edge coming soon....maybe 2014.

Cut a few hundred lbs out of weight and add EB engine....plus current features and benefits....perfect driver for me.

Edited by RJG

There are a couple of threads on this here but another good resource for deals would be slickdeals.net. Do a search and you likely find what ever it is you are looking for. I just got a 6 month for $25 deal that I will likely take. There is also another one that is slightly cheaper per month but it is only 4 months. Since I find SiruisXM to be such a PITA to deal with I would rather spend a little more per month and deal with them less. Besides I think the difference is like 50 cents a month. But yes all of the deals are subject to auto renewal. My plan is to use my Citi bank card and get a virtual CC number, set it up for one time use of $35. That way if I forget to cancel the sub just before renewal they can't charge my card. Then I can haggle with them again on the price.

I have discover card and generated a special card number and used it to pay my bill.

As soon as i knew the bill was posted to my account i called discover and canceled

that number. When it comes time for renewal the charge will be rejected so there will

be no renewel. I am not sure if other credit card companies have a similer program.

I have discover card and generated a special card number and used it to pay my bill.

As soon as i knew the bill was posted to my account i called discover and canceled

that number. When it comes time for renewal the charge will be rejected so there will

be no renewel. I am not sure if other credit card companies have a similer program.

That was what I was referring to above by virtual CC number...there are several companies that offer them. But a tip to those that use them...make sure you can pick a max dollar amount or pick an expiration prior to your renewal. I have forgotten to cancel as Ladybird mentions to do and it becomes more of a hassle later.

The $25 price is just for Sirius radio. I just renewed for one year at $95. Which with Royalties and Florida taxes was more than $95. I was told it did not include Sirius Travel or weather. I'll see. Sync has weather, travel, and favorites (gives me stock quotes). Just go to syncmyride.com and set it up.

Hopefully.....Sync or something similar will one day be all you need. Will have real time NAV, constantly updating, all live info, etc. Have another car with XM, and kinda tired of all these additional costs.

Edited by RJG

I also added the travel link services without traffic for 1.99/mo...I think the total for 6 months with music was just over 40 bucks. I opted not to get the traffic since it would have been another 25 bucks and we rarely used it before and when we did we found the data was not as timely as we would like.

I would double check with using that one time CC number for your subscription for auto renewal. I did the same thing last year, and they continue your service and keep trying to bill your CC for it, so in the end you still end up oweing them something if you don't actually cancel the service.

• Like 1

I would double check with using that one time CC number for your subscription for auto renewal. I did the same thing last year, and they continue your service and keep trying to bill your CC for it, so in the end you still end up oweing them something if you don't actually cancel the service.

Thanks for the tip Irish. I recently re-subscribed using the one time CC number - thinking they'd give up and cancel the subscription.

I set an alarm in my phone to remind me just in case but have never had an issue in the past. But I will say that was with XM prior to the merger so maybe they have changed their policies.

I previously had XM before the merger as well, and figured I wouldn't worry about it because i don't get the best reception where I live, and i knew it was past a year, yet i was still recieving the feed, then i kept recieving emails saying they couldn't process the payment. After closely looking at the agreement, and email i noticed it stated that you wouldn't even get a full refund but 3/4 of the total subscription payment.

My 6 month free trial ended a few months back. I had signed up for the year, but they really screwed up the account using my Discover card so I cancelled. (I didn't think to use the virtual number). I also received the 6 months for $24.99 offer and didn't want the auto renewal. So I went to Best Buy and got a $30 SiriusXM gift card and used that in place of a credit card. They did try to get a credit card number from me, but I told them my wife had the card with her shopping. They signed me up with just the gift card. With royalties it came to $29.61 for 6 months. The rep did state i would be assessed a $2.00 billing statement fee at renewal. Like others, I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to cancel before the 6 months are up. I also hate dealing with them, but if this works, I will deal with them twice a year to get the service for around $60 for the year.

• 6 months later...

Just jumped through hoops with Sirius/XM to renewal my subscription over this past week. My 2013's 6 month free trial expired today. I had called back in July when I first purchased the vehicle and got the free upgrade to the Premiere channel line up (Howard, Playboy, etc) which was offered to new Ford owners.

I made a total of 3 phone calls over the last 5 days trying to get a decent price for the Premiere lineup for one year. I have talked to 5 different reps, and got prices of $249.00, $199.00, $149.00, and $125.00. All of the prices included the music royalty fee and my state and local taxes. I told the first 4 reps that those prices were too high and I would just discontinue the service.

Today I talked to 1 rep, and she also quoted the prices I posted above. When I told her that none of those were worth the money and to just cancel my subscription which ran out today, she put me on hold for about 5 minutes. She came back and offered me a 6 month Premiere package for a total of $40.06! I had them charge my credit card which I gave them the info for the one time charge.

The Sirius/XM user agreement does state that after the 6 months, I would be billed for a 1 year plan at the $199.00 rate. All I have to do is call and cancel at that time to prevent any automatic charges. Those who use a one time only type credit card may be surprised to learn that the user agreement allows Sirius/XM to obtain current credit card info on you and to charge that account for the automatic renewal when the subscription is up.

I just make a note on the calender several days in advance of when the account is due. I call and play their games in order to get the best price I can. If they don't offer a price I like, I will just cancel. I have a total of 3 different accounts for 3 different cars and I have had no problems for the last several years getting a "promo" price on any of them when renewal is due. I have never had an automatic charge because I have called before it was due, and have negotiated a new price.

Good luck, and if the first few attempts to get a price you like don't work, just hang up and call back in a day or two. Ask to talk to the cancellation department (they are the ones who can offer the "promo" prices) and you should be able to get a decent deal.

I was not interested in the addition charge for Travel Link because the weather map has done nothing but crash on my 2013's system. It has been totally useless and I don't want to bother with re-booting or disconnecting battery cables to get it to work for a short time. Sync services offer a weather service for free, so that is what I will use when needed.

Just jumped through hoops with Sirius/XM to renewal my subscription over this past week. My 2013's 6 month free trial expired today. I had called back in July when I first purchased the vehicle and got the free upgrade to the Premiere channel line up (Howard, Playboy, etc) which was offered to new Ford owners.

I made a total of 3 phone calls over the last 5 days trying to get a decent price for the Premiere lineup for one year. I have talked to 5 different reps, and got prices of $249.00, $199.00, $149.00, and $125.00. All of the prices included the music royalty fee and my state and local taxes. I told the first 4 reps that those prices were too high and I would just discontinue the service.

Today I talked to 1 rep, and she also quoted the prices I posted above. When I told her that none of those were worth the money and to just cancel my subscription which ran out today, she put me on hold for about 5 minutes. She came back and offered me a 6 month Premiere package for a total of $40.06! I had them charge my credit card which I gave them the info for the one time charge.

The Sirius/XM user agreement does state that after the 6 months, I would be billed for a 1 year plan at the $199.00 rate. All I have to do is call and cancel at that time to prevent any automatic charges. Those who use a one time only type credit card may be surprised to learn that the user agreement allows Sirius/XM to obtain current credit card info on you and to charge that account for the automatic renewal when the subscription is up.

I just make a note on the calender several days in advance of when the account is due. I call and play their games in order to get the best price I can. If they don't offer a price I like, I will just cancel. I have a total of 3 different accounts for 3 different cars and I have had no problems for the last several years getting a "promo" price on any of them when renewal is due. I have never had an automatic charge because I have called before it was due, and have negotiated a new price.

Good luck, and if the first few attempts to get a price you like don't work, just hang up and call back in a day or two. Ask to talk to the cancellation department (they are the ones who can offer the "promo" prices) and you should be able to get a decent deal.

I was not interested in the addition charge for Travel Link because the weather map has done nothing but crash on my 2013's system. It has been totally useless and I don't want to bother with re-booting or disconnecting battery cables to get it to work for a short time. Sync services offer a weather service for free, so that is what I will use when needed.

Go to your account online and disable auto renew and take your credit card off file and you don't have to worry about the date. That price still seems like more than I'd pay. They continuously offer me 6 months for $25, but I got tired of paying to listen to the same songs over and over. Just use my iPhone with pandora or slacker.

You'll get your best prices by asking for cancelation department first.

Edited by c_bova