Need some opinions and help..

Ungo

Hey. I've been creeping around these forums for a few months and looking far and wide on the internet for a car I want, and decide I want an Edge. After much internal debate, I decided I wanted a Blue Edge, FWD or AWD doesn't matter either way, and decided that I wanted a 2012. I decided on that year because the 2012's Blue is better looking IMO, and you could get cloth seats with the vista roof option, which isn't the case in the 2013. I also have a friend that hooked me up with the X-plan.

So I found a dealership near me that had two new 2012 Blue Edges SEL, both had 18 inch wheels, one with FWD and a Vista roof, and the other was AWD but no vista roof. Both had MFT which I didn't want but could live with. I went to buy the FWD on Sunday, but they were closed. As I was driving there monday, my car broke down, so I never made it. Fast forward to today, and when I pulled in, my FWD Blue Edge was gone, and I was told it was sold yesterday. As I cursed myself up and down, the dealer tried to look around the area to see if he could find one with the same options. While he was doing this, I test drove the AWD Edge, and played around on the MFT for about 40 minutes, and actually thought it was pretty cool. It was the newest update and was very responsive, and was something I actually want now I think.

After the test drive, he said he couldn't find the package I wanted in that color (there really aren't alot of 2012 Blues left in our area, and after seeing the '12 and '13 Blue side by side, I could'nt ever choose the 13' blue). So as I sat in his chair I almost pulled the trigger on the AWD Edge, I glanced over in the showroom and saw an Edge sitting in the corner. It was a new (80 miles on it) Silver 2011 Edge Limited, FWD, with almost every option on it. It has 20 inch wheels, vista roof, MFT, ambient lighting, power lift gate, push button start, remote start, navigation, Sony stereo, back up camera, and black leather heated seats. The dealer stated they bought it from another dealership that went out of buisness awhile ago, and actually "forgot" it was in the warehouse until someone noticed it a few months ago. I asked why it wasn't listed online, and he seemed confused. He went to the manager and said apparently they forgot to list it online as well...

They priced it for me and it doesn't qualify for the X-plan because the manager is offering less off then the plan would give me because they need to unload it since its the only 2011 left in the area that is new. He stated he can't have a $40g 2011 alongiside the 2012 and '13 Limiteds.. which makes sense.

The 2011 Silver Limited, out the door, would be $34,977.

The 2012 Blue SEL, out the door and X-plan price, would come $32,867.

Should I be skeptical? Are there any significant differences between the 11', 12', or 13' design wise or engine wise (like stuff fixed in the later versions that might go wrong in the 2011?) I never wanted or considered getting 90% of those options because I don't need them, nor do I like leather, but I feel like this is too good of a deal to pass up. My big debate color wise was between Silver and Blue, so I feel like that doesn't matter either. I just feel like its almost too good to be true, and that they used the word "forget" alot. Though, as of this evening, the Edge is now listed online...

Opinions? anything I should be worried about? I don't need all the gadgets and toys, but for $2 grand more, again, feels worth it.

I guess it would really depend if you "really" wanted those extra options, could you live without the vista roof and all the extra's? I think it's a good deal on the 2011 limited and as far as I know the 3.5 V6 engines are the same from the 2011 to the 2013 models. From my own experience the MFT in my 2011 works great and always did from the day I bought it the only hiccup I had was when Ford sent out the usb update and they had to replace my apim which was covered under warranty just in case you didn't know Ford extended the warranty by 1 year on the SYNC modules when they sent out the new update so the 2011 should have an extra year of coverage for the module just so that gives you some peace of mind, but just to be safe I would clarify with your dealer. But in the end it comes down to what you really want. Let us know which one you decide to get and post some pics!

The newer car will probably always be worth more a few years down the road. Also the story doesn't sound right. Dealerships don't forget about cars they own. They borrow the money to buy them, called floor planning, and the bank keeps tracks of their sales. I wouldn't be surprised if it had spent some time in the body shop.

Edited by RJG

Do I really want all of those extra options? No. When I've been looking I've never considered the Sony Stereo, MFT, Ambient Lighting, 20 inch wheels etc. etc. I have no use at all for half of it. Is it nice to have? yes. Fun? yes. But I don't really need any of it. At minimum I wanted the SEL package with the 18 inch wheels, the vista roof, and rainguards for the windows. I also fell in love with the 2011/2012 Blue paint. I almost talked myself out of the roof to get the other blue SEL on the lot. Then I saw this one.

However, looking around at dealerships and the internet, various SEL packages with and without the vista roof packages are all going to cost me between $31,000-34,000 OTD with the X-Plan. So it basically for $1 grand more I get something that is essentially fully loaded compared to what I was looking at. I am not worried about a resale value down the line, I usually drive my cars until they are destroyed. I usually average about 10 years out of a car.

As for the story not sounding right, thats what I'm wondering. I keep going back and forth. The original sticker was still in the car, and it does have another dealership name on it. But everything is the same on the new one that is up except the dealership name. The dealer says I'd be the first owner, but maybe the fact that this will be the second dealership it is at is making it cheaper? I also read some reviews online of the dealership, and everyone seems to put it in a positive light

But then again they have 2012 Limiteds on this lot are between $36,000 and $39,000, and the 2013's limited are $38,000-$43,000. So the 2011 being at $32,000 doesn't seem too crazy. And in a 50 mile radius there are only 7 other new 2011's left, and they are all in very small towns. So maybe it makes sense and I'm just overthinking it

The differences between the 2011 and 2012 models are limited - slightly different side mirrors with no turn signal option on the 2011 is the only notable item I can think of. I fully agree with your assessment that the 2012 blue is the best one (even the 2011 blue is a darker shade and in my opinion not as good as the 2012). The silver is still pretty sharp looking and was a backup choice for me, but since it's a more common color I wasn't as excited about it. With all the extra features you get for $2000, it seems like a pretty good deal if you don't mind the color. You won't have to worry about regretting not getting the vista roof (one of the coolest Edge features) a couple years down the road.

Edited by timf

Go with what your gut tells you to do. The '11 sounds nice, and the Ingot Silver (which I have) will not show dirt as much as the darker colors. My wife has a cinnamon color, looks totally friggin awesome when clean, but shows dust & dirt easily. Seeing that you are in Cleveland (have some good friends in Northfield & Burton) snowy winters might have you reonsider AWD vs FWD. Some owners say that FWD handles snow nicey, something to look in to. Best of luck whatever your hoice is.

Joe (I'd glady move to Sagamore Hills if the wife would agree)

• Like 1

Well I went to several dealerships today and got a number of Edges priced with the options I want (Mostly an SEL with a vista roof) and the final price came out the same or close to as the fully loaded 2011 limited. I test drove one with a vista roof, and wow. Id always regret it if i didnt get that option now. I thought it'd be just like a moon roof but I was completely wromg. Im going to go back tomorrow also see if the dealer can do another search for a 2012 Blue SEL with a vista. Before when he looked I told him no leather, but after today it seems most of the SELs have it. I doubt he will but its worth a shot. I can't believe how bad I fell for the blue though. I'm ridiculous.

I guess my biggest hold up at this stage, and it sounds dumb, is how nice the car is. I've always gone with a car that looks nice on the outside and has a decent engine. As for the inside I've always been happy with the basics. This edge is anything but basic. I wouldn't be surprised if the sync, navigation, and most of the MFT features went widely unused. Another concern for me is the wheels. I've never been a fan of big flashy wheels, and I'm worried about durability. The city of Cleveland is horrible at

road up keep, and in the winter its atrocious. Not very wheel and tire friendly. I don't want to end up paying a ton to repair or replace wheels and/or tires since I'm gathering after reading a few topics here that the 20,s are easier to damage.

Anyway, I will make my choice tomorrow. I will most likely end up buying the 2011 limited or waiting a few months for the 2012s and 13's to drop in price more to get ready for next year. There is a lsrge stock of both years in silver with the vista roof around the area, so i don't think i will run into the same situation as I did with the blue..

Oh, and Sagamore Hills is beautiful. How can your wife not want to live there? All the houses are huge, have spacious yards, and trees everywhere. I love how the State Park is right there too. My only complaint is that Macedonia is next door...City seems to be going downhill a little bit more each year..