Anyone with bluetooth OBD2 experience?

wlepse

I keep thinking about picking up one of those bluetooth OBD2 devices. I currently have a serial cable and software on a laptop to communicate with my older Audi but since the car is getting on in mileage I am expecting to get more frequent CEL and thought it would be nice to be able to have a device ready to go in the car. But from what I read these devices seem to have spotty reliability and often don't work with older VAG products. But since they were cheap enough I thought about giving it a shot figuring it would work for the Edge. But as I kept reading reviews it appears as if many Ford's don't work well with these. So I was wondering if anyone here has used one, particularly on the Edge and what your thoughts were.

For those that don't know what I am talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Elandpower-Bluetooth-Scanner-OBDII-Diagnostic/dp/B004B7YXOM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343935493&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+odb2

This with the Torque application on your android allows you to communicate with the vehicle and get all sorts of info...though what vehicles it works with may be questionable.

The BT OBD adapter device works great.

I use a program called TORQUE OBD reader. It's a free android app. I run it on my Motorola Razor phone and on my Motorola Xoom tablet.

I threw a code this morning on my locking gas cap. Using the TORQUE app, I was able to read and clear the code. The data can also be stored and exported.

Have fun.

I was looking into this as well with the track feature. The torque site has a comparison of the OBD BT dongles. Seems as not all are created equal.

http://torque-bhp.co...etooth_Adapters

My Garmin GPS has a app that I could have purchased for it and used a BT dongle - after doing my research, I'm glad I didn't. "however the adapter proved to be too slow to be of any use."

This bad boy seems to be the shiznit - http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html but kind of rich for a toy on a non-performance vehicle.

Edited by Tacyon

Thanks for that link to the Torque wiki...not sure I saw that page but that was similar info to other things I read indicating that some units are hit and miss. I ended up ordering from Amazon just because of the return policy...hoping I don't need to use it.

Well I got mine yesterday and it did see the ECU on the Edge and on the Audi which is good but really haven't had much time to play with it. The little bit I did play with makes me question some of the gauges but I will double check with my laptop just to verify. Either way a pretty cool little device, not bad to have in the car if you have an aging vehicle.

DIngo can you confirm what kind of engine loads you see on the Edge? I seem to be seeing higher numbers than I would expect. I did find a few sources that indicate there are different ways this is calculated and there are two different PIDs for this but either way on fairly flat roads moderate acceleration would indicate 100% even when it felt like the engine had more to give. Idle was higher than expected too...I thik the Audi was less than 5% where I think the lowest I saw on the Edge was maybe 20 something.

Well at first it was way the hell off reading 100% almost all the time, then I realized the displacement was set for the Audi. Once I changed that it was much better but still pretty high. I did see a bunch of threads on various forums where people were stating it was reporting high but nothing on the Edge. This is one explaination I found: http://obdcon.sourceforge.net/2010/06/about-pid-calculated-load-value/ based on that I would guess the Ford is using PID43 since it is based on air mass per stroke and as mentioned above it changed with displacement. Just wasn't sure what was typical in the way Ford is calculating it.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I have Actron U-Scan. It is a new bluetooth scanner that is fully compatible with iPhone. It recognizes the Edge and works very well. You can buy a software module (in app purchase of aprox. $15) and get real-time data from most sensors (RPM, voltage, speed, oxygen sensor, etc.). There are other in app purchases for advanced ABS diagnostics (which I have not tried). So far, so good.

• 2 weeks later...