Ford Plug-N-Play remote starts

It's about to get cold, and my wife gets the garage (because I love her so dearly). Does anyone have experience with the 100 series (4 button key) and the 100 series bi-directional fob? Heck, why not include the 200 bi-directional with oops you bumped into my car now get away feature.

Here is my winter situation. I'm not far from my Edge at work or at home, so I don't think the distance isn't a big deal (I can look out a window to see if it started).

I like that you get 2 more keys with the push button start with the non bi-directional start. The install is slightly more, but I assume that is because they charge an extra 22.50 to cut and program the keys.

The 100 series Bi-Directional only has one fob, but you can get an additional one for abotu $40. The range is better, and I can sit at my desk and look for the green light, no big deal. What is the Real Panic Sound & Progressive Car Find? I thought my Edge already had a real panic sound, i.e. the horn.

The 200 series adds IT-s 2 stage shock sensor. I really could care less, what am I missing?

And naturally, I assume I could install both 100 systems, but have to take the vehicle to Ford for them to turn on the remote start in the computer.

Thanks for any input.

We had the bidirectional installed last winter and love it. Originally I wanted to go with the integrated key since I hate a bunch of crap on my keyring. But in this case I can deal with it because the range is pretty good. I would say originally I thought the shorter range would be OK since we are typically close but with the longer range we are able to start the car cooling/warming a bit sooner and actually have a comfortable vehicle by the time we get there. Used it for this purpose two weekends ago. We were at the fair and it was crazy hot and humid, hit the button, heard the beep and knew the car was running. By the time we got there the cool air was a relief. So I would think start thinking about other times you might use it other than just your house and office and see what really fits.

As for the shock sensor I would avoid it. Not sure if this one is any better but my last car had one and it sucked. Originally it was so sensitive it would go off all the time. Found out the only way to adjust it was with the SSM (Subaru tool), the dealer did it once for free but subsequent changes would be 100 bucks. After they adjusted it the only time it went off is if I got on my hitch and jumped. If this system were adjustable through the cluster then it might be worth it...otherwise I would pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just got the Bi-Directional remote installed and for some twisted reason, I can't wait for it to get super cold. I went down the street and it fired right up. Too bad my dealer sucks and had the Edge all day to do 30 minutes of work before they closed.

You will be glad you got it done...super useful. I didn't realize how much we would use it till we had it. All summer it gets use to try to cool the cabin down so the car seat isn't so hot for the little man. Also not sure if yours works the same but you don't have to restart to drive off. Originally we thought we had to so I would quickly bump the shift release to get it to shut down so I could turn the key...but one day my wife forgot and just turned the key. It stays on and you can shift to any gear and take off. Super nice.

I got just the system with the fob that just starts it up and I'm happy cause I live in Cleveland, OH and the leather can freeze your butt when you get in there....and it helps mpg too so you're not driving it when the engine is cold

You do realize that the engine is cold when you start it remotely just like if you were to start it and drive right away. Now you are letting it sit for 10 minutes at idle starting from a cold engine or so to warm up instead of driving. Sorry, it is a good way to heat the interior or cool it depending on your needs, but in no way is it helping you save gas or get better MPG's. In fact, if you use it often you are probable going to get poorer MPG because of the excessive idling.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if anyone else has been trying to find the same information that I have, so I'll throw it out there...

I have a '13 Limited with Sync / MFT. I have the factory remote start (standard, big ugly fob).

Problem I have is that due to where I have to park, I can't see the vehicle to see if it has actually started when using the factory fob. There have been times when I go out in the morning and find that the remote start didn't work. Generally not a big deal, but can be a pain when there's a heavy frost / ice to deal with.

Anyways, have been trying to find if any of the bidirectional (two-way) kits will work as an add-on to the sync/MFT systems. My dealer and their service department have been able to offer absolutely nothing for information about this.

The only other option seems to be a third party system that uses cellular connection for control. Reviews I have read don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that they will work any better than a factory system - that and the cost involved.

Has anyone dealt with this? Detailed information would be appreciated, including (if it can be done) what the pros / cons are.

Thank you.

Well this is what I would recommend installing the DB-All from Xpresskit.com with the FORD3 firmware they have a kit that is plug and play that will allow for interfacing of a Smartsmart application (a smartphone based Android, IOS, or Blackberry app) in conjuction with a module that allows you to control your remote starter from your smartphone with confirmation of command reception. As long as you have cell reception it will work anywhere. This is what I have and it interfaces and works flawlessly. The DB-All also allows the intergrated of a plug and play RF remote from Directed Electronics like a 9251VL or 9752VL which will give you an option for another traditional hand remote starter remote with two way reception and about 3000' feet of range. It is explained in the dowloadable specifications and instructions off the website www.xpresskit.com.

Hope this helps,

Kirby

Thanks for the info Kirby.

I've stopped into a recommended car audio installer that sells this line and he's going to give me a number for the system to be installed. I'm still debating on the phone app route or the extended range fob. Too bad you can't do both. Have you had any issues with using the app? I know I've read about past issues with servers being down, complaints about Directed's support and so on.

It's too bad that information is so vague - I couldn't even find what it costs for the app service on their site.

On a side note - from what I was finally able to learn from my dealer's service department, you can't have a Ford OEM remote (two-way) installed in a Sync/MFT vehicle without some major work being done.

Edited by icee

Got this wrapped up today.

Picked up the parts yesterday from 2 different dealers (in-stock issue), installed last night within 10 minutes, programmed keys afterward. This morning I dropped by Ford dealer down the road from the office and the service manager handed me the IDS to program the remote start. Couldn't be simpler!

Parts purchased: BT4Z-19G366-A & BC3Z-19G364-A

Instructions used: http://www.partscheap.com/v/vspfiles/files/pdf/2011remotestart-truck.pdf

Total time: 20 mins including programming.

Total cost: $293 taxes incl.

Edited by vtr1000sp2

• 1 month later...

Just bought a '13 Edge SEL, gave up my '02 F150. No remorse in not getting another F150. I always get remote start installed post vehicle purchase. Back in '94 I began having remote starts put in. Through contacts I found out that most dealers do not install remote starts themselves. I found out who the contractor was at my dealership and contacted them directly. They came to my house for two installs and I went to the dealer for the contractor to do the other installs. My most recent experience went like this:

Dealer wanted $245.71 for the part. plus $21.00 for the hood swithch.

I called the dealership's contractor and made my appointment with them to take it to the dealer they were working at the next day. I could have waited a few days until the contractor was doing installs at my dealership, but it is cold out and I wanted it done fast. I went to the dealership and was in and out in 45 minutes. I paid the contractor directly. Total cost including all parts, 2 FOB's, installation, activation and taxes was $300.00. When I check the price with my dealer they wanted $425.00. Saved $125 by having it installed at the dealer but not by the dealer.

• Like 1