Internal Power

Tarawa

To route a powercord from the battery to a CB radio on the driver's side of my 2012 MKX, I used a pathway that exists beneath the upper rear of the front fender.

The trim piece that is attached at the rear of the front fender, just forward of the door's side mirror, is retained by three plastic push-pins. Carefully prying the trim piece off reveals a small opening in the rear edge of the fender.

Next, at the outside end of the cowl top, there is a triangular black rubber cap that can be pryed upward at the front edge and rotated, revealing the underhood-side of this pathway.

I fished a piece of coax cable from the front, through the pathway, and then taped my powercord to the coax. Pulled the coax forward carefully, since the pathway is a bit tight. Once the power cord was through the pathway, it could be more easily pushed-pulled through to adjust the length and to connect it directly to the battery.

The fender trim piece was pushed back into place on top of the powercord once the underhood wiring was complete.

I routed the powercord into the cabin by pulling back the front vertical weatherstrip-trim strip outboard of the instrument panel, ran the cord behind it, and pushed the strip gently back into place. Wiring tucks nicely beneath the edges of that strip for additional routing inside the cabin.

The powercord is invisible when the door is closed and the installation caused no additional wind noise.

Just picked up my new Edge (loving it so far) and I would like to install my 1200w inverter. Are there any good ways to route cables from the battery to the interior?

Thanks.

On a side note the 1200 watt unit at 12 volts will give you a 100 amp plus draw on startup. A 100 amp load requires a 2 AWG for both positive and negative. I would suggest a multi stranded wire in which case you could get away with #4 AWG high quality wire, such as found at high end speaker suppliers or even eBay. Don't forget to also fuse the load with a circuit breaker or slow blow fuse on the hot or positive wire.

I ended up pushing an extension cord along the main power/data trunk through the grommet behind and below the steering wheel. I have a pair of 2AWG multi strand cables (51") that I picked up a while back for the inverter. I might try and feed them through that grommet but I don't know. It was very tight as is.

I looked at the hole and method you used Haz, but it wouldn't have fit at all, they need to find a way to make a 2AWG equivalent cable that's like 12AWG in size =D

The idea behind the extension cord is; I have it connected to the block heater's cable (3 female ports) inside the engine bay, zipped tied down, and ran the other end into the cabin to run a heater (did that in my car before I got the Edge, and it was amazing). Going to make a male-male sub cord split in the middle with a deans ultra plug in between the two ends, so that I can feed the main power in through the grille.

Thanks for all the input and advice =D

Not the entire purpose, the inverter is to run various things. the merging block heater power cord to an external plug is to run a heater on a timer. In my truck I have a microwave, and a kettle for lunches, really comes in handy =D

I never really considered keeping the inverter in the engine bay. The housing and such is plastic, wouldn't weather damage it? it gets to around -30C here.

edit: hmm when thinking about that, the inside of the Edge will get to the same temps or more when its hot outside and sunny and the inverter worked fine in -30 inside, so it should be ok.

Edited by Tarawa

I was going to ask you if you are planning on running a microwave in there. I read further on and sure enough you are!! Hehehe...Hey, throw a garbage compactor, a dishwasher, and sink and you will never have to leave your Edge. I'd live in my Edge for certain!

Anywho...good luck with your install. I think you will have the best luck trying to go thru the firewall near the steering column. I've run stuff through there and that rubber is very forgiving and there is actually a good bit of room around the cable bundle.

peace out.....