Sold my 2011 Edge Sport to CarMax this weekend

sandjunkie

I would guess with short trips back and forth to schools the Sport had no opportunity to warm up? I drive a mixed city and highway route 13 miles each way to work and average mid 22's. Im pretty happy with that. On 3.5 hour highway journeys to our farm in NY Ive seen as high as mid 25's. Not bad considering that the stated highway average is 23.

Good luck with your new car, she's a beauty for sure especially with those wheels! Do you mind telling what CarMax offered you on the Sport and how many miles you had? I've always wondered about them.

The edge had about 26k miles on it and was getting close to needing new tires. They gave me 30k.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

German?.....made in Tennessee or Germany? BTW.....Nice looking car. Seems perfect for your use.

I'm not a fan of diesel for a passenger car my wife would drive. Just too smelly, diesel on ground around many pumps. Find a clean one and use gloves.

Eco Boost has most of the advantages of diesel at a cheaper cost in manufacturing and fuel. Turbo charging and direct injection. Have often do you fill the urea tank on the VW diesel?

Personally, I'm fine with the 18 mpg I get around town, the 19 I average on a regular basis, and the 24 I occassionally get on the freeway... and you'll never find me driving 65. LOL One reason I bought the Edge was its MPG compared to the competition while still maintaining a good amount of horses to lug all its weight around.

Passat looks great, as does the tint! I have a few friends that are purely German drivers, and I do understand it: they're extremely well built (with the exception of my friend's VW GTI which had a bunch of transmission issues) and fun to drive (at least, my buddy's Audi S4 is) LOL. One thing German's never fail on is design. All their cars are pretty good looking. Have fun with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We filled up the tank with 15 gallons of diesel, drove around town, then drove from orange county to vegas, then around vegas, then back to orange county. This was the status when we got home. 567 miles driven and 155 miles left in the tank. This was while driving over 80mph to and from vegas since we went on Sunday and came home on Tuesday. There wasn't any traffic. The TDI has incredible torque and power as well as out of sight fuel economy. The edge is a great car but it was just not for us in the current stage of my wifes taxi service. I on the other hand will be giving my Tacoma to my son next year and I anticipate picking up a GT500 at that time.

smugshot_2030525-L.jpg

German?.....made in Tennessee or Germany? BTW.....Nice looking car. Seems perfect for your use.

I'm not a fan of diesel for a passenger car my wife would drive. Just too smelly, diesel on ground around many pumps. Find a clean one and use gloves.

Eco Boost has most of the advantages of diesel at a cheaper cost in manufacturing and fuel. Turbo charging and direct injection. Have often do you fill the urea tank on the VW diesel?

It is assembled in Tennessee but the powertrain and engineering are from Germany and you can tell the difference. Diesel too smelly?!? You sound like a 5 year old girl. Woudnt want you to mess up your manicure. :hysterical2: Ecoboost was not available in 2011 and still no where near the economy. Urea tank gets topped off every 10k miles but it is covered under the VW maintenance.

Edited by sandjunkie

Urea tank? Yikes! But it is good to see a vehicle actually deliver on its' rated/expected fuel economy. May have already asked this, did you get an extended warranty on the VW?

Why Yikes on the Urea Tank? Most clean diesels have them.

No extended warranty on the VW. We usually do not keep our cars long enough to warrant the added expense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL what is the point of this topic? You went from an Edge Sport which is made to look nice not get you great mpg and got a sedan instead. Of course you are going to get better mpg on a sedan over an SUV. If you wanted to get good gas mileage around the city you should have gotten an ecoboost version of the Edge then.