Sold my 2011 Edge Sport to CarMax this weekend

sandjunkie

We had a pretty good experience with the Edge. It was a beautiful car. The MFT was finicky at times and the navigation system was horrible. The sony stereo was decent. There was an exhaust rattle and certain frequencies that bugged me and the bumpers coloring did not completely match the rest of the car. The one thing that drove us to getting rid of the car was the mileage. My wife mostly drove around town taking one child to middle school and the other to high school and then back and forth for soccer, lacrosse, and basketball practices and church youth groups, etc. Around town the edge sucks the fuel, probably between 12 and 15 mpg and the tank is so small that my wife was getting fuel every three days. We had a hard time finding a replacement similar bells and whistles and around town fuel economy that we needed. The new fusion hybrid that is coming out was somewhat promising but it lacks the features of the edge sport and the battery makes the trunk too small for all of our gear. We decided finally on a 2013 Passat TDI SEL. The car is beautiful and the driving experience of a German engineered car is second to none. The car has a range of 700-800 miles per tank of diesel. We should get about 40 MPG around town and below is a picture of the MPG on my 25 mile commute to work this morning. The torque and power of this car is amazing as well.

2011 Ford Edge Sport sold to Car Max

1022883646_rTfv6-L.jpg

New 2013 Passat TDI SEL

smugshot3580661-L.jpg

Mileage on my 25 mile commute into work this morning

smugshot2323008-L.jpg

Edited by sandjunkie

wow 15mpg around town, yeah they really need to come up with a better performing engine for the sport trim

it is a sport edition, not a good gas mileage addition, with performance comes a decrease in mpg. their best bet would have been a slightly bigger 4 cylinder (ie. 2.5L) with a turbo though. or even a turbo on a v6.

Torque namely. The engines are more efficient and also need to run on fewer revs to generate power. Power can be measured by horsepower (higher rpms needed) and torque which is generated in the lower end of the rpm range. Now that the diesel fuel has been brought up to standard, we here in NA can finally get these really efficient diesels that Europe has had for so long. Also, since the transmissions now have so many gears, the diesel makes even more sense b/c you can keep the revs low, keep changing gears and use very little fuel.

I would guess with short trips back and forth to schools the Sport had no opportunity to warm up? I drive a mixed city and highway route 13 miles each way to work and average mid 22's. Im pretty happy with that. On 3.5 hour highway journeys to our farm in NY Ive seen as high as mid 25's. Not bad considering that the stated highway average is 23.

Good luck with your new car, she's a beauty for sure especially with those wheels! Do you mind telling what CarMax offered you on the Sport and how many miles you had? I've always wondered about them.