How do I remove this stupid part?

Cdpratt69

Has anyone had any experience with these parts in the rear area of the Edge?. Specifically, I want to remove them from both sides. I used my trim removal tool with quite a bit of force to the point that I was worried that I might break some of the actual panel plastic. I don't care much if I break the actually part because I can just fill the resulting hole with a trim retainer or something. Both of these pieces are rattling like crazy when I listen to music within certain frequency ranges and it then sounds horrible. I am curious if anyone has seen the piece from the back of the panel and if it will eventually pop off with more force or if it has a larger-than-the-hole ring on the back side. I pulled my passengers side rear panel off enough to feel around behind it but I can't quite make out the configuration just by feel. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The photo of the part is attached below. I am talking about the round knob that is farther over to the right of the 12v receptacle and the seat lowering buttons. I guess those things are there for holding part of a roll out cargo cover? Not sure.

IMG 0096

I appreciate the link and looked through it all but he never addresses or needs to take off the little knob that I want to remove. I just want to know if anyone has ever had reason to pull theirs off. The back of the piece has the white sound insulation right behind of it but you can still get your hand in there without having to remove the whole panel. I just can't tell from feeling around back there if its a push pin that just requires white a bit of force to remove or if it is not really meant to be removable without getting behind it and cutting a plastic backing that is much larger than the hole the thing goes through. I really don't want to have to pull off both rear panels completely in order just to remove two silly little plastic knobs!

It just spins and spins. I guess the to two 12" and one 10" sub has loosened them over the last couple of months because they seem to be loosening up quite a bit. The bass is loud enuf and moving enuf air in the cabin that it shakes and stirs up my beverages. Its cool to watch but there is no telling what kind of pressure levels are are making their way around all the parts that are not well secured. I've used a sound meter application and I've seen over 125db. I have no idea how good the metering on an iPhone db app is though.

Seems to be many things begin to loosen and rattle at this point. I guess it is just a matter of Hunting down the culprit and removing it or making it more secure. I wish there was a way to just slip an o-ring in between the knob and the interior wall but the outside part is too large to slip a small enuf ring around it. I really don't want to go thru and take both panels off just to remove those sill things. I know the little smaller cargo net hangers screw out but these other things just turn in place....and rattle.

Edited by Cdpratt69

Maybe, a little clear silicone caulk.

That might not be a bad idea. The only problem I foresee with that is I'm a total idiot with adhesives and paint. I guess things can't go too terribly wrong with something like that. They are just about loose enuf to where I am considering using a thins hacksaw blade to slide in the the gap and cut them off. However, one mistake there and I've marred the plastic for good.

Edited by Cdpratt69

Still got those other screw in hangers in the very back but in principle you are correct. I think cutting them should be my last option. If you heard the ratting I'm hearing you would completely understand why I would even consider cutting.

I'm thinking that since they don't help attach the rear panel to the body or anything such as that then gluing them down solidly with a dab or two of gorilla glue would probe do the trick. How does that sound?

Edited by Cdpratt69

How about buying a small tube of Phenoseal vinyl adhesive caulk. You cut the plastic tip off, to produce what size hole (opening) that you want, and run a small ring around the entire piece. If it doesn't work, you can peel it off. I know that Home Depot carries the stuff,

you'll find it in the paint department.

Edited by JOEHIO

You are talking about the smaller hangers farther towards the back end. Those also unscrew in mine but the larger forward knobs that look like they could be big cabinet knobs just spin and spin. They are not screwed into the body or any other trim pieces. I am aware of this because I can feel behind them. However I just can't tell without pulling the panels completely off how exactly they are attached in order to try and remove them without breaking them, which I do not want to do.

Just went down the basement to "sniff my Phenoseal". It does have a slight odor, but nothing that wouldn't go away in probably a few days. Have used it in the bathroom when putting in new shower doors, and have never had any lingering odors. Got it in a 5.5 oz plastic squeeze tube. No need to buy a large one like you would use in a caulking gun.

It has many uses, have even considered using it on the sister-in-laws mouth ! ( hee-hee ) :hysterical2:

Edited by JOEHIO