Opinion and experience needed - do dealers throw in "extra's"?

I'm working on a deal with my local dealership for a 2013 Edge. I'm looking for the nav, ecoboost and entry package. I'm using X-pricing. I'm wondering what kind of offer the dealer can throw in to intice me to purchase from them. I'm looking to negotiate something extra from them...could be undercoating, trailer hitch, some sort of warranty package, etc. Do you think the dealer should/would throw extra's in? What is everybody's experience with this? Am I off track by asking them to throw something in and how much should I be looking to get...ie - undercoating or is it more realistic to a hat and maybe a coffee mug?

Any help would be appreciated.

Senswincup

The dealer still makes some profit on an X-plan sale, and they get credits based on volume of vehicles sold, so there definitely would be some incentive for them to give you an extra. But it can't be much, maybe on the order of $200-300.

Also I wouldn't recommend any undercoating, It just gums up everything. The Edge's body is dipped in a special e-coat protection system so rust isn't going to be an issue. Basically it's already got an undercoating from the factory.

• Like 1

When I was getting my Sport, the dealer kept adding stuff to get me to sign every time I questioned something. i.e. "Ive still got 4 lease payments" Dealer said, No problem we'll take care of them. "I don't think we need, back lit door sills and the cargo package call me when you get a truck without those" Dealer said, No problem we'll just take that off the price. I was at a point where I had incredible incentives, coupons, rebates and not reasons left not to buy the new Sport so I signed. Believe me, I don't regret it at all. I love my truck and as far as me and my sales guy think, I stole it! Moral of the story, it doesn't hurt to ask and make them feel like your a minute away from getting up and leaving. Things were a bit different economically in the fall of 2010, but I dont think car sales have rebounded that much since then

• Like 2

name='Edgieguy' timestamp='1349974082' post='86511']

When I was getting my Sport, the dealer kept adding stuff to get me to sign every time I questioned something. i.e. "Ive still got 4 lease payments" Dealer said, No problem we'll take care of them. "I don't think we need, back lit door sills and the cargo package call me when you get a truck without those" Dealer said, No problem we'll just take that off the price. I was at a point where I had incredible incentives, coupons, rebates and not reasons left not to buy the new Sport so I signed. Believe me, I don't regret it at all. I love my truck and as far as me and my sales guy think, I stole it! Moral of the story, it doesn't hurt to ask and make them feel like your a minute away from getting up and leaving. Things were a bit different economically in the fall of 2010, but I dont think car sales have rebounded that much since then[/s]

I truly appreciate all the feedback on the site. If anybody else has anything related, I'd love to hear it.

Senswincup

Edited by senswincup

When I was getting my Sport, the dealer kept adding stuff to get me to sign every time I questioned something. i.e. "Ive still got 4 lease payments" Dealer said, No problem we'll take care of them. "I don't think we need, back lit door sills and the cargo package call me when you get a truck without those" Dealer said, No problem we'll just take that off the price. I was at a point where I had incredible incentives, coupons, rebates and not reasons left not to buy the new Sport so I signed. Believe me, I don't regret it at all. I love my truck and as far as me and my sales guy think, I stole it! Moral of the story, it doesn't hurt to ask and make them feel like your a minute away from getting up and leaving. Things were a bit different economically in the fall of 2010, but I dont think car sales have rebounded that much since then

And this was all on top of X-plan pricing?

In July when I purchased my 2013 Edge Limited, I was eligible for the X plan price, and thought that was the best I could do. My window sticker was 41530.00 and the invoice was 39121.67. The X plan price would have been 39240.18. Before buying, I happened to check the internet and found a group of dealers under the name Auto Nation.

They have several Ford stores here in the Dallas area, and had advertised what Edges they had in stock, and what the prices were. Imagine my surprise when I found them to have similar Edges like I was looking for with the price of 37564.67. This was 1676.00 BELOW the X plan price. It is actually the A & Z plan price which is reserved for Ford employees. I went to the dealer and there were no games being played. His price was in fact the A & Z price, and I was still eligible for any rebates, special financing, etc which was in place.

I didn't end up buying from them because they were 60 miles away from where I live. I did get the SAME price from where I was going to buy with the X plan after showing them the internet site of the other dealer, and their prices posted. I also got several rebates ($2000.00 at that time, and a low finance rate. I paid $200.00 over the A plan price to have the windows tinted, nitrogen in the tires, factory rubber all weather floor mats front and rear, and the factory cargo shade security cover. There were no other dealer fees or advertising fees paid. I do have a copy of the dealer invoice showing all of these prices and feel that I got the best deal I could. I am very pleased with my deal and the Edge.

As a note, the hold back amount listed on the invoice is $1221.00, not just a few hundred dollars as has been posted earlier.

Just to clarify, I am not and never have been an employee of Ford. I was eligible for the X plan through work, but never qualified for the A, Z, or D plans as such.

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 2

In July when I purchased my 2013 Edge Limited, I was eligible for the X plan price, and thought that was the best I could do. My window sticker was 41530.00 and the invoice was 39121.67. The X plan price would have been 39240.18. Before buying, I happened to check the internet and found a group of dealers under the name Auto Nation.

They have several Ford stores here in the Dallas area, and had advertised what Edges they had in stock, and what the prices were. Imagine my surprise when I found them to have similar Edges like I was looking for with the price of 37564.67. This was 1676.00 BELOW the X plan price. It is actually the A & Z plan price which is reserved for Ford employees. I went to the dealer and there were no games being played. His price was in fact the A & Z price, and I was still eligible for any rebates, special financing, etc which was in place.

I didn't end up buying from them because they were 60 miles away from where I live. I did get the SAME price from where I was going to buy with the X plan after showing them the internet site of the other dealer, and their prices posted. I also got several rebates ($2000.00 at that time, and a low finance rate. I paid $200.00 over the A plan price to have the windows tinted, nitrogen in the tires, factory rubber all weather floor mats front and rear, and the factory cargo shade security cover. There were no other dealer fees or advertising fees paid. I do have a copy of the dealer invoice showing all of these prices and feel that I got the best deal I could. I am very pleased with my deal and the Edge.

As a note, the hold back amount listed on the invoice is $1221.00, not just a few hundred dollars as has been posted earlier.

Just to clarify, I am not and never have been an employee of Ford. I was eligible for the X plan through work, but never qualified for the A, Z, or D plans as such.

Nobody said the holdback was only a few hundred dollars. What Waldo said was the spiff check that Ford gives each dealer for a plan sale was a few hundred and that's true but that's not holdback.

What I said in another thread somewhere was that holdback minus the salesperson's commission and floor plan interest would only net to a few hundred dollars.

Holdback is always 3% but the dealer still has costs that come out of that.

A dealer selling to the public at A plan price without including incentives and without adding a large doc fee is losing money on every sale. Period. It doesn't make sense although I don't doubt what you're saying. I've heard of other dealers doing this. I guess they're making money on used car sales and service but it doesn't seem like a good business practice.

Nobody said the holdback was only a few hundred dollars. What Waldo said was the spiff check that Ford gives each dealer for a plan sale was a few hundred and that's true but that's not holdback.

What I said in another thread somewhere was that holdback minus the salesperson's commission and floor plan interest would only net to a few hundred dollars.

Holdback is always 3% but the dealer still has costs that come out of that.

A dealer selling to the public at A plan price without including incentives and without adding a large doc fee is losing money on every sale. Period. It doesn't make sense although I don't doubt what you're saying. I've heard of other dealers doing this. I guess they're making money on used car sales and service but it doesn't seem like a good business practice.

All true worked the business for years.

I bought my 2013 Limited at the dealer that ls973800 mentioned, don't really know what plan I got but here is emailed I recieved before I purchased , I bought a Ruby Red. They also gave me $2000 more on trade then CarMax offered, which saved some hassle and quite a bit of sales tax.

Invoice was $38145, $2000 rebate, $3834 discount Sales price $32311

Edited by Texasopa

I bought my 2013 Limited at the dealer that ls973800 mentioned, don't really know what plan I got but here is emailed I recieved before I purchased , I bought a Ruby Red. They also gave me $2000 more on trade then CarMax offered, which saved some hassle and quite a bit of sales tax.

Invoice was $38145, $2000 rebate, $3834 discount Sales price $32311

Either they lowballed your trade by a few thousand (regardless of what carmax offered), kept additional incentives they didn't tell you about or that's not really the dealer invoice price.

Selling a new vehicle at cost is bad enough. Selling one and losing over $3K? That's either insane or a scam.

Either they lowballed your trade by a few thousand (regardless of what carmax offered), kept additional incentives they didn't tell you about or that's not really the dealer invoice price.

Yes, there are additional incentives they don't tell you about (factory to dealer only) and yes, that really isn't the "real" invoice of what the dealership actually ends up paying for the car. On the bottom of every "invoice" I've ever received or seen from a dealer (GM and Ford) there is ALWAYS a disclaimer on the bottom. The one on the Edge invoice I received says

"This invoice may not reflect the final cost of the vehicle in view of the possibility of future rebates, allowances, discounts and incentive awards from the Ford Motor Company to the dealer."

GM invoices say basically the same thing.

Of course they aren't losing money due to the additional, factory to dealer, etc spiffs they receive. Only a select few in the dealership really know how much that vehicle really cost, and it sure isn't the "invoice" price. Pretty hard to get "lowballed" on a trade if you do your homework by checking the various used car price guides and get several trade in values. You also can watch the classified ads and see how much private owner's are asking and how much dealer's are asking on their used car lots. It's all about being well informed.

For as good of a deal that I received, and for as good of a deal that Texasopa received, there is no doubt in my mind that the dealer made money. Out of that profit the dealer has to pay the salesman his commission, pay for the lights, advertising, additional personnel such as porters, phone operators, insurance, etc. There is no way a dealership would sell a vehicle at a true loss to them, except for very special circumstances. I know our deals didn't meet those special circumstances by a long shot.

As for floor planning (the interest on the monies paid by the dealer to have inventory) there is usually a grace period (30 days in most cases) where no interest is charged. That is one reason dealers make a few more dollars on an ordered unit instead of the same priced one sitting on their lot for over 30 days or whatever the grace period is.

I also worked the business for several years.

• Like 1

And this was all on top of X-plan pricing?

YES.

Spoke to my sales guy on Friday when they thought my Wifes Ex was ready to pick up (it wasn't after I got there), Asked how new sales were going and he said that since sales have slowed due to the upcoming election, they're doing everything possible to unload cars, so I guess it is a good time to be a tough buyer.