Rear diff question

alhope34

The only interval I have seen mentioned is 150K miles for the automatic transmission fluid. I would guess you would do the same for the rear differential. Normal duty conditions, of course.

There is a thread on here how to do it for the 2007-2010 Edges:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/7926-rear-differential-fluid-change-procedure/

HTH.

Thanks for the replies. I know how to do it, I've done it many times before, was just wondering what Ford recommended for this vehicle. I actually just did it yesterday on my friend's work truck which is a 2004 ram 2500 with the 5.7L motor. That rear end is a beast and takes 4 liters of gear lube. After about 50,000 kms it was all black and smelled absolutely horrible.

Comparing the Edge rear diff to a Ram 2500 is like comparing a two game losing streak to the Leaf's Stanley Cup drought. They aren't similar in any way. Ford recommends never changing the rear diff lube in the Edge and unless you're towing a LOT or going to the race track regularly, it's really not worth doing.

From the Ford Edge 2008 Service Manual

Normal Vehicle Axle Maintenance

Rear axles and transfer case/Power Transfer Unit (PTU) containing synthetic lubricant and light duty trucks

equipped with Ford-design axles are lubricated for life. These lubricants are not to be checked or changed

unless service is required, or if a leak is suspected or the axle assembly has been submerged in water.

The axle and transfer case/ PTU fluid should be changed anytime they have been submerged in water. Nonsynthetic

rear axle lubricants should be installed new every 4,800 km (3,000 mi) or 3 months, whichever

occurs first, during extended trailer tow operation above 21°C (70°F) ambient and Wide Open Throttle

(WOT) for extended periods above 72 km/h (45 mph).

The 3,000 mile lube change interval may be waived if the axle was filled with 75W-140 synthetic gear

lubricant. Add 118 ml (4 oz) of additive friction modifier for complete refill of Traction-Lok® rear axles.

The axle lubricant should be changed anytime an axle has been submerged in water.

Police and Taxi Vehicle Axle Maintenance

Install new rear axle lubricant every 160,000 km (100,000 mi). Rear axle lubricant change may be waived if

the axle was filled with 75W-140 synthetic gear lubricant. Add 118 ml (4 oz) of additive friction modifier for

complete refill of Traction-Lok® rear axles.

The axle lubricant should be changed anytime an axle has been submerged in water.

• 1 year later...

Well we all know the part about the PTU (transfer case) is Total B.S. Nothing is lubricated for life, Nothing. The rear diff in an edge should be fine for 50-75K since it really only transmits power in slippery conditions or under hard acceleration. I changed mine at 80K and it was dark. The PTU on minew was supposidly changed at 61K but now at 98k its basically mud.