Painted grille and foglite surrounds?

After clamoring for and then being disappointed in the WAY-too-busy (IMO, of course) look of the Precision billet grilles...

Billetgrille_1000w.jpg

...and thx to TravysCanada for the pic I stole from here http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...4&hl=grille , I'm considering either building a custom grille of tubing--1/2" conduit, painted? Copper tubing, polished?--or painting mine body color. I think it would not look nearly as massive, painted, as it does chromed.

Front_700w.jpg

I'd have the foglite surrounds, too, painted.

I know that some of us LOVE the massive looks of that chromed grille, but what do others think?

While I'm sure there are a ton of options - especially if you want to custom build one - and no offense to TravysCanada but I don't like that grill above.

I think the factory grill is much nicer.

It may be the additional inserts below but it looks "bigger", "bulkier", "more massive", and just doesn't, imho, look like it belongs to the car. Again my opinion.

I hope you take your time and really come up with something that "fits" the Edge.

I look forward to seeing the end result.

scoopo: "I hope you take your time and really come up with something that "fits" the Edge. I look forward to seeing the end result."

TYVM; me too. If I could fabricate this stuff myself, most-probably I'd build one, but I really don't want to spend, say, $1000 on a custom grille. Probably I'll remove it and the foglite surrounds, sandblast and finish-sand the 3 parts myself, and then have them painted.

creamEDGE: "And I really don't know what you would do to the front to take the chrome away, it offsets everything, makes it look good, I don't think theres (sic) much you can do with the fogs that would look good."

The plan is to have those cute little circles including their narrow chrome rings staring out of body-color surrounds. I think that'll look LOTS better than that garish-chromed-plastic molding they're now staring out of.

I'm not sure if seeing a lot of after-market 'Billet' Grills on trucks turns me on either, I understand everyone wants their vehicle to be different from the herd. My I make a suggestion? no? OK :wacko: The Ford 500 AKA new Taurus, has what looks like a Stainless Steel Mesh grill behind the blue oval, I like that. I'm not even sure what year it was, BUT I did like that mesh. I wonder what it would look like on the Edge?

The Ford 500 AKA new Taurus, has what looks like a Stainless Steel Mesh grill behind the blue oval, I like that. I'm not even sure what year it was, BUT I did like that mesh. I wonder what it would look like on the Edge?

I saw that on a Cadillac and one or two nice SUVs at a dealership in Dalton, GA.

I agree, the nice sorta tight mesh on the back-side of the grill really looked nice!

Good call there. Idea planted...

• 2 months later...
After clamoring for and then being disappointed in the WAY-too-busy (IMO, of course) look of the Precision billet grilles...

Billetgrille_1000w.jpg

...and thx to TravysCanada for the pic I stole from here http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...4&hl=grille , I'm considering either building a custom grille of tubing--1/2" conduit, painted? Copper tubing, polished?--or painting mine body color. I think it would not look nearly as massive, painted, as it does chromed.

Front_700w.jpg

I'd have the foglite surrounds, too, painted.

I know that some of us LOVE the massive looks of that chromed grille, but what do others think?

I like the OEM grill. My husband, on the other hand, does not and was trying to steer me toward the MKX just for the grill. Whatever...If I went with the MKX it wouldn't be because of the grill...maybe the adaptive headlights or the cool square guages...but not just for the grill.

I think Edge's grill makes the car look aggressive and as Ford describes it "bold". Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...