Got my H&R Sport springs installed

Ok, so instead of jacking someone else's thread I will do this one for myself.

I've got a black Edge SEL FWD with BAMR and the 18" Chrome-Clad wheels.

Tinted the windows in the front with 35%

Bought some nice 20" Zinik Z20 Violi wheels in black.

Bought some sweet 275/45R20 Hankook tires (original tires = 245/60R18) - LINK

Bought the H&R Sport springs - approximately 1.5" rear and 1.75" front lowering as well as stiffer for the handling etc.

Got all the new FoMoCo sensors as well as the straps, clips, etc for the TPMS (to keep the original tires intact for sale HERE or future re-installation)

Took it all down to the tire store (NTB, Chattanooga, TN)

They call me this morning and two of my new wheels are freaking bent. ~sigh~ Murphy really rides my case.

I've already contacted Tirerack and will be getting the issue resolved on Monday... but I went ahead and had the springs installed and a 4-wheel alignment so the tires/wheels will be a simple bolt-on.

So, among the couple dozen or so pictures I've taken I have uploaded 13 plus one of the wheels. (all are in my Album, in reverse order due to upload..)

The first 5 here are "before" pics (after tinting, no tire shine, before lowering) uploaded for this post - can't figure out how to insert a thumbnail into a post from my gallery/Album

post-1289-1189908970_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1189908876_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1189908852_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1189908827_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1189908797_thumb.jpg

Next are 8 pics after today's lowering/spring installation, with a quick wash and tire shine -- but in my driveway which is downhill to the front and a little right-leaning.

The car tends to "hunker" down in the back a little when I e-brake and park. This effect actually brings the front up a bit as well so these aren't a completely accurate representation compared to the before pics. You know.

I'll get some flat ground pics tomorrow if it's nice out again.

Also, I'm kinda ok with having pictures of the lowering on the factory wheels and tires.

post-1289-1189908771_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1189908721_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1189908604_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1189908526_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1189908492_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1189908437_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1189908360_thumb.jpgpost-1289-1189908330_thumb.jpg

I really, really, like my Edge.

Love it! :D

Further after pics with the wheels installed to come. No later than next Saturday I hope :wacko:

Wheels to be installed:

I really think these are going to "go with" my Edge so well. If they look half as good as I expect on the car it will be a "marriage" and look absolutely beautiful. Classy! imho, of course ;)

post-1289-1189910629_thumb.jpg

Thank you for you time, attention, and responses :)

Edited by scoopo

I am no photographer but I took some more pictures with the freshly lowered Edge in the same place at a local park as my "before" pictures.

All photos chopped to 25%. Camera takes big ol pics on high quality.

Befores on the left - afters on the right:

Different angles of course

LF-before01.jpgLF-lowered02.jpg

I was looking at these and some others of this view. Note how much/little of the spring/shock is showing in each.

LFtire-before01.jpgLFtire-lowered01.jpg

Change in height is pretty easy to see in these of the left rear.

LRtire-before01.jpgLRtire-lowered01.jpg

Again the different angle doesn't help in the comparison.

RFtire-before01.jpgRFtire-lowered01.jpg

Shadows notwithstanding...

RRtire-before01.jpgRRtire-lowered01.jpg

Another after of the right rear - RRtire-lowered02.jpg

Now a quick review of my opinion of the ride and handling after the spring installation:

When I drove it out of the parking lot of NTB yesterday I was of course paying close attention. Maybe too close. Ride is definitely stiffer.

Now that road and the Interstate I got right on are probably the worst roads in the state of Tennessee, to be fair.

I was expecting this so decided I was going to go for a cruise today and feel it out properly. It was beautiful today so off I went.

Let me tell you this little CUV feels like a totally different car with respect to cornering and handling! I wanted that and am most pleased with the feeling!

It feels stuck to the road. The feeling of being kind of high up and maybe a little top heavy is gone.

She doesn't like harsh bumps or rough roads nearly as much as she used to... but I don't either so all is well. More than well.

This is a performance upgrade. Anyone wanting to do this should know in advance these springs are not lowering only.

Some may call it a "rougher ride". I call it a truly impressive performance enhancement, which as with everything has trade-offs.

I can't wait to get the wheels and performance tires on it!!

HIGHLY recommended - H&R Sport springs :D

Edited by scoopo

Now a quick review of my opinion of the ride and handling after the spring installation:

When I drove it out of the parking lot of NTB yesterday I was of course paying close attention. Maybe too close. Ride is definitely stiffer.

Now that road and the Interstate I got right on are probably the worst roads in the state of Tennessee, to be fair.

I was expecting this so decided I was going to go for a cruise today and feel it out properly. It was beautiful today so off I went.

Let me tell you this little CUV feels like a totally different car with respect to cornering and handling! I wanted that and am most pleased with the feeling!

It feels stuck to the road. The feeling of being kind of high up and maybe a little top heavy is gone.

She doesn't like harsh bumps or rough roads nearly as much as she used to... but I don't either so all is well. More than well.

This is a performance upgrade. Anyone wanting to do this should know in advance these springs are not lowering only.

Some may call it a "rougher ride". I call it a truly impressive performance enhancement, which as with everything has trade-offs.

I can't wait to get the wheels and performance tires on it!!

HIGHLY recommended - H&R Sport springs :D

Check the tire pressure if you haven't done so. I found that mine were all 43-45 Lbs. Bringing them down to 35 Lbs smoothed things out a bit.

Check the tire pressure if you haven't done so. I found that mine were all 43-45 Lbs. Bringing them down to 35 Lbs smoothed things out a bit.

Excellent suggestion!

Thanks! :)

Took a 200+ mile road trip for work today.

This included some rough roads in construction zones north of Atlanta as well as some speed bumps etc at my Alpharetta office.

I am just tickled to death with the springs but they are definitely stiff. - Not in a bad way. I wouldn't be expecting to pounce on speed bumps regardless of the springs.

There is no bouncy-bouncy coming off the other side of the speed bump - just a nice firm transition back to the road surface.

Smooth blacktop = Awesome!

Cornerning = A+

Looks like it's gonna 2 weeks or more to get my bent wheels replaced <_<

Grumble...

That's done by the factory during shipping so the tires don't flat spot. The dealer is supposed to correct them before putting them on the lot but sometimes they don't. Also something to check on a test drive.

That's done by the factory during shipping so the tires don't flat spot. The dealer is supposed to correct them before putting them on the lot but sometimes they don't. Also something to check on a test drive.

They didn't, thats why I suggested it. After having my springs installed, they inflated them again when they did the alignment.

One more thing to keep in mind if you put on lowering springs is that the front of the car is now low enough that you need to be careful how you park as I discovered today.

I pulled up to one of those parking lot curbs & just barely went over it. When I backed out, the front fascia dragged accross the cement & made a couple of scrapes along the bottom. No real damage done.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks Great!

But....

...TINT YOUR WINDOWS!

Some of these pictures are weird like that.

It was pretty much straight up noon, bright sunshine, not a cloud in the sky, and depending on the picture I had my BAMR all the way open or closed but the shade open.

The front windows are actually 35% tint.

I'd love to go to 20% to match the rear but it's sick bird (ill eagle... hehe)

There are tons of cars in this area with illegal tint but I just dunno if I wanna deal with a pissed off cop... again... after all these years ;)

Thanks for the "Looks Great!" though :)

I'm tickled to death with it.

Whatcha think of red brake calibers? Maybe gloss black?

I have once again acquired a money pit :lol:

Some of these pictures are weird like that.

It was pretty much straight up noon, bright sunshine, not a cloud in the sky, and depending on the picture I had my BAMR all the way open or closed but the shade open.

The front windows are actually 35% tint.

I'd love to go to 20% to match the rear but it's sick bird (ill eagle... hehe)

There are tons of cars in this area with illegal tint but I just dunno if I wanna deal with a pissed off cop... again... after all these years ;)

Thanks for the "Looks Great!" though :)

I'm tickled to death with it.

Whatcha think of red brake calibers? Maybe gloss black?

I have once again acquired a money pit :lol:

They are? Ok..my bad then.

Disregard.

I think you should go with red. I have always like the red/black combination. (AC Milan for example)

I'm going with red myself.

Edited by Good_Hands

Looks awesome! What are the stock numbers for the springs? Could find them on their website. Thanks

At hrsprings.com you'll need to enter in the make, model, etc to search.

They are part number 51605

Suggested retail price of $369

I got mine at tirerack.com you need to enter in vehicle specific info as well.

07 Edge SEL FWD direct link HERE

Currently $234

Requires a 4-wheel alignment after installation.

• 1 month later...
When you got it aligned were the camber angles very far off? did you need to get a camber adjustment fitting for every corner?

Ditto on this question? Think mummy is going to get the springs as part of my Christmas present so just wondering before I go...

Thanks, Edgeee and SHIZZY!

Edgieguy and Slurp:

I honestly don't know how far off anything actually was - numbers-wise that is.

You will require a 4-wheel alignment.

I recall the guy at the shop saying the rear was pretty far out.

They aligned all four corners without trouble. Took a while but no problems.

pickupf150:

The springs weren't bad. Around $235.

The installation and alignment cost me a couple dollars over $460. I'm sure there are better deals to be had, especially if you are buddies with someone at a qualified/capable shop.

When I was shopping for prices the Edge was still so new no one had estimates in their books/computers yet. A couple places refused to even quote because of that.

Edited by scoopo

• 2 years later...