carfax SUCKS!

ablb

Year and a half ago a teenager backed into the left rear, scratched a wheel, left rear quarter panel was replaced.

carfax reports this as "STRUCTURAL DAMAGE"

Insurance co asked if we filed for "diminished value"

We said no it was fixed perfectly and just a quarter panel :drop:

body shop says they "do not report anything ever to carfax they just report to the insurance co."

BUT he also said the insurance co. reports to a co called NCIB, National Insurance Crime Bureau who then report to carfax.

He ALSO said carfax will give a "STRUCTURAL DAMAGE" to pretty much any damage to a uni-body car.

Example: a low speed front end crash where he has to replace the radiator support = "STRUCTURAL DAMAGE"

Apparently an individual CAN NOT talk to carfax you can send them an email.

Our dealer said he would contact carfax and try to get it fixed.

NOPE NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, how dare you challenge carfax :hysterical2: !

ab

Edited by ablb

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago back in 98 I had a mustang of mine get totaled. The car was parked but got hit by a tractor trailer that jumped a curb, it took the engine out of the car. A few years later I decided to run the VIN just out of curiously to see what carfax would say. It showed the car registered in a near by town with no damage history at all. My insurance paid a full claim out to me for that car, I will never trust carfax or auto body shops.

I'm with Brock. My brother's car was totalled and it never reflected that in Carfax. And when I say totalled, I don't mean "too much damaged to justify repair costs" (which I am sure is true), the car was a wreck. Then my friend's car was destroyed in flooding, for giggles we looked it up: NOTHING noting the water damage, and the car has a new owner.

Buyer Beware. If you buy used, take it to a trusted body shop.