Creaking Wheels

PeteL22151

2007 SEL-Plus, with chrome-clad 18" wheels (the newer 6-spoke type).

At my office, I park in an interior lot that has 4 levels. I usually go down to the bottom level since it is the least crowded and easiest to fine a space. That means I circle around 4 levels of ramps. With my windows down, I am hearing a rather loud creaking/clicking sound coming from the front wheels ... most prominent on the "outside" wheel - right side going down the ramps, and left side coming up. I suspect this is the plastic chrome cladding surface rubbing on the metal wheel under the pressure caused by turning on a steep ramp. Has anyone else noticed this? Does this sound normal, or should I consider this a problem that needs to be fixed? Any advice is appreciated

Pete in VA

I would say it's not normal....well, maybe it would be for one of those Chinese p.o.s. Cherys..but not for an Edge....I'm sooooo glad I stayed with the stock 17" painted wheels...I like the look, and no extraneous parts attached to the wheel....Make your concerns known to the dealer...do not accept "That is normal"...it isn't, and shouldn't be.

It doesn't sound at all like a mechanical problem with the suspension, steering, or drive chain. It really sounds like the plastic chrome wheel overlays are flexing under the pressure of the sharp turns at steep angles. I'll keep an eye (actually an ear) on it to see if it continues. I've just started noticing it over the last week, and that may be because the weather is cooler ... causing the overlays to tighten up on the wheel.

I would be curious to know, however, if anyone else starts to notice the same thing.

Thanks,

Pete in VA

Yes its a known problem

TSB

07-19-6 POPPING/SNAPPING NOISE - FRONT OR REAR 18 INCH WHEELS - TURNING AT SLOW SPEEDS BELOW 10 MPH (16KM/H)

Publication Date: September 10, 2007 This is for vehicles built before 8-24-2007

They have a procedure to follow and if necessary will replace wheels with updated parts

Richard and Barbie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Duplicating a post I wrote earlier in the Exterior Body forum on the same topic. better suited here in the Wheels section. After more research, this seems to have been a very common problem.

Hi All,

Long time member now, but rarely hop on and post. I've got an 07 MKX with the Chrome Clad 18" wheels and am experiencing this problem, again. I had the dealership replace the front right wheel once before under warranty (with the exact same wheel), and of course, now have the same issue. I'm at 80k miles and the dealership won't do anything about it. Is there a DIY fix for this, or do I have to replace the wheel?

I'm off to search the rest of the forums (admittedly this was the first page that popped up when I did a google search) and will see what I can find. If anyone has advice it would be extreely helpful.

Thank you,

Gimlet-