What is the best HID kit for the Edge?

Since fitting my DDM HID lights and harness (post 69) above, it appears that when I start the car with the light in the 'auto' position, one of the lights (passenger) does not come one.

Leaving the engine running, if I turn the lights to 'off' then to 'on' then both work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by badgb21

• 2 weeks later...

If I was to get DDM kit would my automactic lights still work? Are they simple plug and play kit? On my Dodge I had to have an error delete and I could never get them to work right. On my Mach 1 mustang I had a plug and play and they worked flawless. Hopefully, the Edge is the same way. BTW I have a 2011 SE

If you follow the later stages of this thread;

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13579-ddm-hid-firing-problem/

you will see DDM's after sales service isn't great. I'd go to hidextra or Morimoto if choosing today. Call whoever before ordering and be sure they have the expertise to help for your particular vehicle.

Kev

If I was to get DDM kit would my automactic lights still work? Are they simple plug and play kit? On my Dodge I had to have an error delete and I could never get them to work right. On my Mach 1 mustang I had a plug and play and they worked flawless. Hopefully, the Edge is the same way. BTW I have a 2011 SE

Edited by badgb21

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am about to purchase a 2013 sport. Previously I had a 2013 limited with factory hids. Are the kits as good as the factory hid system? Any comparisons out there?

All HID kits for the edge I have seen are "converted" HID bulbs installed in to a 9006 (or similar) base. Taking that in to consideration there is no HID kit that is equivalent to factory bulbs.

Having said that I am PERFECTLY happy with my aftermarket, conversion kit. It cost about $50 + $25 I spent to build a second harness to have independent bulb circuits like factory. I could have probably bought a second harness from the company for a lot less.

Finally got nice weather to install the Morimoto's HID kit. Install was okay thanks to some of your experiences and write ups...thanks for that.

I'm having an issue with the Auto lights not working. I'm assuming it's not going to work? I didn't get the relays.

Are they needed?

Having read about these issues on these threads it seems the most common occurrence of the problem is when you do not have the relays and/or capacitors.

Having said that, last night when I was heading home for the first time since i installed the lights several months ago I had a bulb not light. The system was on auto. Moving to manual on did no good. In the end I made a quick stop at a store (about 3 minutes) and when i came out and got in they both came on and have started 4 times since. For a few minutes there I thought I had lost a bulb or ballast. Yes, I have relays AND capacitors.

Edited by 12Edge
  • Like 1

Having read about these issues on these threads it seems the most common occurrence of the problem is when you do not have the relays and/or capacitors.

Having said that, last night when I was heading home for the first time since i installed the lights several months ago I had a bulb not light. The system was on auto. Moving to manual on did no good. In the end I made a quick stop at a store (about 3 minutes) and when i came out and got in they both came on and have started 4 times since. For a few minutes there I thought I had lost a bulb or ballast. Yes, I have relays AND capacitors.

Thanks for the reply. As an aside, they lights are fantastic, they really light up the road ahead and here in NJ where I live, some roads have no streetlights.

The stop signs and orange construction cones really pop from far away now. If the only negative is the Auto ON not working, it's no biggie to me. Plus it's the missus' daily, my speed has the HID's

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Our HID kit uses a ballast we helped design to eliminate the two most common issues found with universal HID kits, bulb flicker and false-start. False-start is what you are referring to when one or both HIDs will not fire up when the headlight switch is set to auto-on and the engine is started. False-start is caused by insufficient vehicle voltage being supplied to the ballast. Most false-starts occur when the headlight switch is set to auto-on, but some of the lower quality kits can have this occur even when the headlights are switched on manually. I did put a voltage tester on the headlight power wire and noticed an average voltage drop of about 5-10% with the auto-on setting. Most HID ballasts have an under voltage protection feature that will either shut the ballast off or not allow it to start if the voltage doesn't reach a certain level.

When we developed our HID ballasts, we actually used my 2012 Edge SPORT as the test mule. We had our HID kit manufacturer add components to the ballast that assures the proper voltage level is present on every headlight start no matter if the switch is set to auto-on or manua and then regulates the voltage during sustained service after initial start up. Besides eliminating the false-starts, the voltage regulation helps increase ballast life.

You will see that we also include an external power harness with our HID kits. We found early on that even though our ballasts worked perfectly on their own, most customers preferred installing a wire harness to power their ballasts directly from the battery. The wire harness adds little cost to the kit, so we chose to include it instead of offering it as an after purchase accessory.

Our HID ballasts also come with a lifetime warranty and like all of our products, we have a 100% no risk satisfaction guarantee. In short, if you aren't happy with our product, we will refund your entire order amount and send you a prepaid shipping label to return the item back. No out of pocket expense to try out our lights.

Feel free to shoot me an email if anyone has any specific questions about our quality HID kits.

Thanks again, Dan Smith

DAYTIME BrightLites and www.DriveBright.com

• Like 3

Dan Smith

Drivebright.com

Hey Dan - I am so fed up with my DDM HID lights ( no auto and relay now failing twice!) I have just ordered a kit on your site.

I look forward to hearing from you to confirm details.

I will post up my full experience from start to finish to let others know how this whole thing goes!

Thanks

Kev