Spring Break '13, 1st Road Trip in EDGEr.

wannabang

I figured I'd share some fun info about my Spring Break trip with y'all, from beginning to end. Went to Fort Lauderdale, drove the edge a total of 2600 miles. On the way down, I reset my display to see how the trip would be affecting the Edge and my display said this:

20130308_213950_zpsfc4decbf.jpg

I ended up hitting 24.3 MPG until I hit the mountains of West Virginia. Average for the entire way down, doing speed limits or five over, 22.3. Pretty hapy about that. Average for the entire trip ended up being 20.8, but the road home was 70-90 MPH, no exceptions.

This was also the first time I got to see my HIDs in pitch black light, so I got a couple shots of them on the road. 5000k 35w:

20130309_022428_zps415cbd94.jpg

Might be hard to tell, but the lights were able to completely light the median, likewise on the other side, so deer/critters were not a worry for me the entire way down.

Something I wish I could have gotten a picture of was a comparison between other cars' halogens. I remember noticing that I could still outshine similar SUVs with halogens if I were even with their rear bumper.

20130309_022351_zps187c06fa.jpg

Bright and white:

20130308_215212_zpsc4e0dc36.jpg

My dad's actually considered getting HIDs for his Taurus, and he wouldn't even let me tint his windows because he thought it was a waste of money. LOL

Apparently, Fort Lauderdale has some extremely wealthy people.

20130312_175059_zpse3f5fd30.jpg

20130312_181335_zps75ba48f5.jpg

20130312_180026_zpsd029a777.jpg

**side note** That blue clip came out when I took out my map light module to replace them... Never found where it should go, but everything works fine.

20130315_190320_zps9500886f.jpg

20130315_190426_zpsf529496f.jpg

20130315_185139_zps56c6a12b.jpg

20130315_185217_zpsd74d9f50.jpg

Oh, and then there's this.

20130316_110940_zps067fa49e.jpg

There was the occasional Ferrari and even fewer Maseratis, but all of which were obviously camera shy LOL

Never did see a Lambo.

Never seen this before! They weren't extremely friendly...

20130315_145545_zpsfaf8e9ff.jpg

20130315_145603_zps5bd9c254.jpg

And this happened a couple times...

IMG_20130312_120345_zps8701be4e.jpg

It was neat the first time, but for the second and third, the 30 minute wait was just too much.

I had a great break, and loved testing EDGEr out on the WV Turnpike's turns. Held strong at 85 mph.

• Like 1

Great pix, especially the Civic 4x4 :D Thanks for the shots of the HID lighting, good reference point. You did an FX35 based projector retrofit for the HID, correct?

We have one bridge close to us that opens up, takes about 10-12 minutes total I think, not too bad. Just that you can't see the ships sailing on through coz the view is totally blocked!

I guess you need it to get through all that snow in Wisconsin and that does suck about the bridge! I wish I had projector retrofits, sorry... Definitely on the agenda. Those are the OEM reflector housings. Crooked beam pattern, but hey, they still are better than the halogen garbage that came with it.

Spring break thread started by a user named Wannabang? Who's passing this one by???? I liked the old guy in his trike scooter at the gas station. That's classic. If I knew civics came as 4x4's then maybe I wouldn't own an Edge..... Great shots thanks for sharing

Yay! 1000 POSTS!

Edited by Edgieguy
  • Like 1

Nice pics!! And yea there is definitely a LOT of $$$ in south Florida. Mostly people with more money than brains though. I used to live right down where you were at, in Lighthouse Point for awhile then moved to Sunrise..... then after I couldn't stand it anymore I moved back to the USA and couldn't be happier, lol

Glad you had a fun trip and the Edge did you well! I'm getting about the exact same MPG on the couple of little trips I've gone on

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the annoyance is relative. I hate traffic, but I guess you might be used to that, too. Hey, Prinzll, how is that 80% on your windshield? Very visible from the outside during the day? Not bothersome at night? I've been thinking about it, and we have the same headlight wattage/temp.

It's actually quite nice. Many people who have seen my Edge are very shocked when I tell them my windshield is tinted. The tint I have is Llumar AirBlue 80 and most folks think it's the stock windshield.

tints.jpg

The above pic was taken from a Smart car Forum where a member tinted his windshield mostly with AirBlue 80. As you can see, the clarity is there and it definitely does not interfere with night driving (and I have driven in some pitch black areas).

Maybe I heard wrong, but I thought glass, in itself, keeps out some light and that automotive glass is an 80% tint in itself..I'll look into that stuff. Don't know what I think of having two different tints on the car, but it'd be nice when driving straight into the sun.

The picture I showed was a person who used two different tints for his windshield. The bottom is the Airblue 80.