New to the forum, about to pull the trigger on a '13 Limited

Drive XR7

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for a DD and a 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra convertible for my toy. Looking to replace the wife's Toyota RAV4 which has 107k on it now and puts me to sleep every time I have to drive it. I've always been a Ford guy and we test drove a '13 Limited 301A V6 AWD in ruby red yesterday. It was pretty awesome... I loved all the technology and it rode very well. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger... but... I am not sold on FWD only. I don't want the V6 because the 2.0 Ecoboost gets better fuel economy and is only about 40hp away from the V6. I can make that up in tuning or mods and improve mileage even further.

I've heard and read rumors of the 2014 Edge being redesigned and the V6 option will be dropped... so it seems an Ecoboost 2.2 or 2.6L AWD may be available. I live in NE Ohio and we get a decent amount of snow. I had to put snow tires on the wife's FWD RAV4 this past winter, so if we buy the '13 Edge FWD, I'll have to install snow tires on it as well. With AWD, we could probably do fine without snow tires. I did the math, and over 5 years, the fuel saved would pay for snow tires and wheels. I'm still undecided though, and want the car soon. :)

I've got a friend who knows people in Ford Product Development in Dearborn, so I put some feelers out about new tech and what could be coming. We'll see... but I may wait until 2014 if a new model is due that includes AWD i4 ecoboost.

Thanks! Any advice would be helpful. This looks like an active, knowledgeable forum so I'm excited to join.

(attached a pic of my Cobra)

post-26358-0-36463600-1366576330_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard Drive XR7. We have a '13 2.0l Ecoboost fwd, but after having a Jeep Patriot and then a Jeep Compass I really missed the 4wd this winter, even with Yoko Geolander snow tires (mandatory in Quebec).... Also around town the fuel economy hasn't been great (13l/100km 18mpg) although highway is very good (7l/100km 33mpg)

I would go for the V6 awd if you find one you like, I wanted an App Pack though so went for this one - but will go back to 4wd next time for sure

Edited by BeDevil79

Many people have determined that the additional cost of about $1000.00 to get the EcoBoost engine really balances out the fuel savings cost over the first 5 years or so. I believe the EcoBoost may also cost more to maintain with premium fuel, more oil in the sump, more frequent oil changes, etc.

I went with a 2013 Limited with the V-6 and could not be happier.

You driving style and miles driven each year will have to be considered when comparing the cost between each engine.

I have AWD in my "X", just wanted to have 1 vehicle with it. but I understand from other forum members, they do fine with FWD. I don't know what to say. If you know of a dealer you can trust, ask them what the percentage is in sales for FWD vs AWD, might help you with your decision. I know that your area can get blasted during the winter month, don't know exactly where you are located, but I have friends in Northfield, Stow, and Burton, all with AWD vehicles. If I had it my way, we would be living out in Sagamore Hills, but the wife won't leave Jersey.

My 2 cents; v6 is the better option, you are not going to get 40hp on upgrades, at most you will gain 25 hp..with cold air intake & filter plus exhaust..($$$) you would have get tunes aswell for the upgrades.. Fuel economy difference between v6 and Eco is about 2 mpg.. awd makes a lot of sense since you are in Ohio, which I visited.. the roads can get brutal, unlike Miami.. Regardless, choose what makes you happy!

Huh? There is no requirement for premium fuel in the ecoboost (I don't run it and I get 22-24 as a daily drive and up to 28 on straight highway driving, my oil change interval (based on the oil life monitor) has been around 10K and it takes just short of 6 quarts (5.7).

Not sure where you are getting your information.

I went back and checked where I had read about the premium fuel. It was actually copied from the owner's manual and states for the 2.0 EcoBoost "Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow."

So they are saying improved performance for the EcoBoost, yet they don't have that for the 3.5/3.7 V6 engines. Since 87 regular is stated as recommended I apologize for stating premium is the recommended fuel, although for improved performance it can be used.

I always thought that turbo charged engines use the oil for lubing and cooling the turbo, and is more prone to break down from the higher heat. At one time owner's of turbos were not supposed to shut their cars off until sitting for a minute or two to allow the turbos to cool. That is why I thought there was a higher capacity of oil and a need for more frequent oil changes plus special oil. The EcoBoost engine calls for 5w30 and the 3.5/3.7 for 5w20. Costs should be the same.