First Ford - First Post - HID questions

Hello Everyone! As the title states this is my first Ford (Edge Limited) and my first post in this forum. I've owned GM vehicles all of my life but due to some bad experiences with GM as of late I figured it was time to try something new! That being said I have a 2013 Ford Edge Limited on order. I really liked the ride, handling, quiet interior, size, gas mileage...... come to think of it I like just about everything about it! I do need all of the advantages I can get at my age though. One of the things I would like to improve on would be the headlights. I would like to install HID's but have some questions that I would appreciate some answers and input on. The first and most important to me is are there any after effects of installing non OEM HID lights such as indicator lights not working on the dash, computer issues, any issues with remote starting and just any things that don't function the same after installing the HID lights? second what color/temperature most closely matches the Daytime Brightlights (running light LED replacements)that are advertised on this site? I want to install a set of those and would like them to match the headlights in color. I've done quite a lot of reading/searching here already and I haven't found the answers to these questions so I apologize if they have already been answered and I missed them. Thanks for any help you can give me and I'm sure glad I found this forum as it contains a lot of great info!

Mark

Welcome & congrats on your purchase. What color did you choose? FWD/AWD?

Thank you! I ordered a Mineral Gray FWD with a black interior. 300a package. Stuck with the 18 inch chromes for a little better ride although I really like the looks of the 20 inch chrome wheels. About a month before it comes in. Can't wait.

Welcome and 5000k HIDs should be the route as I am planning on doing the same thing and want them all to match. At least this is the answer I have got from the man from DTBL.

Thanks for the info. Have you heard of any of the after effects that I mentioned?

Why didnt you just ordered an Edge with HID?

I really didn't want the Panoramic Vista roof and I was under the impression that to get the OEM HID's I would have to take the roof also. Already have one in the garage under a cover that the roof comes off of. Don't need another! :)

It is very (really, VERY) easy to swap out the halogen bulbs for HID kits.

Many of have done just that (myself included). You'll find that most are using DDM kits and others are using TheRetrofitSource (morimoto) Kits.

Feel free to ask away and we will gladly point you in the right direction and help you get them installed.

My vote is for the 5k temp bulbs. You'll want to order 9006 or 9005 size kits (a few users have reported the 9005's are easier to get into the socket.

Really? Cost, not needing other options, any other number of reasons... Why bother posting that response. Annoying...

When ordering a new car, you should set up your priorities as you see fit. Since HID is important to you, you should have ordered it. Retrofitting HID is not good, blinding to other drivers and illegal in many places.

For a proper HID upgrade, you should get the complete headlights of a factory HID Edge setup, which would cost a lot and makes the 301a package's cost a bargain.

Furthermore, since you just "ordered" the car, many dealers can still accommodate changing the order before receiving the vehicle.

Retrofitting HID is not good, blinding to other drivers and illegal in many places.

That's why I am running the Osrams instead, not great for long dark roads, but much better than stock for me.

Prnzill's project should be groundbreaking for all of us. It remains to be seen what the cost would be DIY/aftermarket, etc. HID is so easily available as a technology that it is literally a crime for it to be so expensive as a standalone option from the manufacturer.

Yes, retrofitting a halogen REFLECTOR is a big deal and a major distraction to other drivers. Retrofitting a halogen PROJECTOR is not. I have a perfect cutoff, have never been flashed and you wouldn't know it wasn't OEM.

I would also bet that the OEM halogen & OEM HID use the identical assemblies and projectors. I would gather the diagram in the manual details the difference between the bulbs and light output in general, not a difference in physical projectors.

The callout numbers are identical for both versions (13008).

Halogen: http://www.wholesalefordparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1145335

HID: http://www.wholesalefordparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1141245

Not to mention the OEM halogens have the spot built in for the hid ballasts (again they are the identical housings and projectors).

So, feel free to retrofit your halogens to HIDs with no worries...

Edited by candurin

I agree, I'm no expert but why would Ford build the spot for the ballasts into the housing but have different internals to accomodate the oem HID's? Not a very good mass production practice imo.

I recently installed a DDM 55w 5000k 9005 kit after having numerous issues installing the 9006 bulbs and the light output is phenomenal! Couldn't be happier!! I haven't been blinding anyone, if you aim your lights correctly you won't blind anyone except for maybe bambi!

I would just make sure that you get a harness if you go 55w. For the price I would go DDM over Morimoto (Retrofit), morimoto might be a better product but you can buy multiple DDM sets for the cost of one morimoto. That being said, I did use the Morimoto harness :shades: ......

-Russ

When ordering a new car, you should set up your priorities as you see fit. Since HID is important to you, you should have ordered it. Retrofitting HID is not good, blinding to other drivers and illegal in many places.

For a proper HID upgrade, you should get the complete headlights of a factory HID Edge setup, which would cost a lot and makes the 301a package's cost a bargain.

Furthermore, since you just "ordered" the car, many dealers can still accommodate changing the order before receiving the vehicle.

A) I actually tried that and the dealer refused. I did not want the moonroof but wanted the HIDs.

B) Can you find an aftermarket D3S kit? If you can, let us know. I have checked TRS and they do not offer them.

C) As an owner of TWO (2008 & 2011) Edges that have had the Halogen HID conversion, I never got blinked either time on low beam. High Beam? I have gotten blinked at 1/4 mile away with the 2008 and the kits were 6K 35w.

That's why I am running the Osrams instead, not great for long dark roads, but much better than stock for me.

Prnzill's project should be groundbreaking for all of us. It remains to be seen what the cost would be DIY/aftermarket, etc. HID is so easily available as a technology that it is literally a crime for it to be so expensive as a standalone option from the manufacturer.

Here's what I am learning:

Through Benny, the assemblies for an HID Edge will run almost $480 a piece. After that, you have to find a D3S HID kit with the igniter on the bulb. If I am going that route, I am not going to settle for less than a Morimoto or Phillips.

Whiteis charges $300 for a projector swap for both headlights. He uses TRS projectors and Morimoto kits.

Needless to say, I am still doing my research before pulling the trigger one way or the other.

Well... I am willing to man up when I am wrong (luckily I called myself out after researching!):

You can see a few subtle differences in the projector and shroud (I'm sure there are a few other small differences). Here's some links to ebay auctions with great close ups of the assemblies. You will definitely see some differences.

HID:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-FORD-EDGE-LEFT-DRIVER-SIDE-XENON-HID-HEADLIGHT-OEM-/140953605381?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d17d5505&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2013-11-12-FORD-EDGE-LEFT-DRIVER-XENON-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-HEAD-LIGHT-/111063456167?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2012%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AEdge&hash=item19dbe5d9a7&vxp=mtr

Halogen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-FORD-EDGE-LH-DRIVER-HEADLIGHT-OEM-101-/330905677629?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0b83ef3d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EDGE-RH-HEADLIGHT-11-12-2011-2012-USED-HALOGEN-/360517894841?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2012%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AEdge&hash=item53f08a82b9&vxp=mtr

Again, my apologies for misleading, I should have done my homework first.. I still have no issues with anyone putting HIDs in the halogen (PROJECTORS ONLY).

Prinzll - Hope the photos help...?

• Like 1

Hello Omar32, I really did try very hard to "order" my Edge Limited outfitted just the way "I" wanted it. Good lighting is indeed very important to me as I stated in my original post. But having the Panoramic Vista roof was something "I" did not want. So I'm just exploring alternative methods and ways to improve the OEM light output HID being one of them. BTW I did read Daniel Sterns article that you linked in your post. Some very good information. I have retrofitted headlights in my C5 Corvette that I indeed did have to replace the housings and the optics. I'm not looking to create any unnecessary glare or problems for other drivers or create any electrical gremlins in a brand new vehicle that I will be spending a lot of money for. That is why I posted here for information and input from those that have already installed and are running the HID's in the Halogen projector housings. I asked for input and information. You provided both and I thank you for that. I just wish Ford would have allowed the HID's to be ordered separately and not force me to take other options that were not a "priority" to me.

Have a "nice" day!

Mark

• Like 1

It is very (really, VERY) easy to swap out the halogen bulbs for HID kits.

Many of have done just that (myself included). You'll find that most are using DDM kits and others are using TheRetrofitSource (morimoto) Kits.

Feel free to ask away and we will gladly point you in the right direction and help you get them installed.

My vote is for the 5k temp bulbs. You'll want to order 9006 or 9005 size kits (a few users have reported the 9005's are easier to get into the socket.

Candurin, I appreciate the info. Since doing your HID install have you experienced any issues, electrical gremlins, indicator lights or things that don't work correctly since the install? I did purchase projectors for a C5 Corvette that I have from TRS. Great people to deal with and terrific customer service!

I've had zero issues. Well, one. Originally I purchased the DDM 55w kit and the harness melted and then the ballast went (I've been a strong supporter of ddm for many years, but that was the last straw). Other members have no problems with DDM and you can't beat the price.

I installed the 50w TRS kit and everything works perfectly. Zero issues, Auto headlights work perfect and never had a misfire on any ballast period. I've had my morimotos in for about a year.

I've had zero issues. Well, one. Originally I purchased the DDM 55w kit and the harness melted and then the ballast went (I've been a strong supporter of ddm for many years, but that was the last straw). Other members have no problems with DDM and you can't beat the price.

I installed the 50w TRS kit and everything works perfectly. Zero issues, Auto headlights work perfect and never had a misfire on any ballast period. I've had my morimotos in for about a year.

Having had good luck purchasing from TRS before if I do this I will purchase from them again. It's good to hear that you haven't experienced any issues after installing the HID's. When I retrofitted HID's in the C5 it was quite an experience. I first put HID bulbs in non projector housings. That was a mistake! Slightly more light but glare and scattered light everywhere. Bad for other drivers. I next replaced the housings with projector housings made by ACA. These were halogen projectors and I then installed HID ballasts and bulbs. Ended up with a real nice light pattern and could see much better. But the highs were still halogen so I next purchased new High/Low projector housings from TRS. I now have a perfect set of lights with HID lows and highs and no issues with other drivers. I would agree with you on the projector lens as when I had HID's in the projector housings from ACA I also had a great pattern, nice cutoff and no issues with other drivers. I'm one day closer to delivery of my Edge and I'm starting to get real excited! Thank you for sharing your information with me.

I disagree. I choose the options on the car to limit the cost as much as possible since I know I'm going to upgrade certain parts of it right away. I would never get upgraded audio or NAV, HIDs, or any 20" chrome wheels, since I'm more inclined to get wheels that make the car unique.

OP, I've never heard of/had any of the issues you mentioned. I love my HIDs (even thought they're in reflector housings, shhhh) but I've re-aimed them so no one flashes me and they still benefit a lot. You won't have that problem. I enjoy my pano roof, though. Congrats on your edge, and I hope you love it just as much as we do.

I disagree. I choose the options on the car to limit the cost as much as possible since I know I'm going to upgrade certain parts of it right away. I would never get upgraded audio or NAV, HIDs, or any 20" chrome wheels, since I'm more inclined to get wheels that make the car unique.

OP, I've never heard of/had any of the issues you mentioned. I love my HIDs (even thought they're in reflector housings, shhhh) but I've re-aimed them so no one flashes me and they still benefit a lot. You won't have that problem. I enjoy my pano roof, though. Congrats on your edge, and I hope you love it just as much as we do.

It's good to hear that you haven't had any issues with your HID's. It seems that the majority of people that have done this are trouble free. I'm going to do the new Brightlights also. Looks like I've found another project for awhile! Thanks for taking the time to share your info with me.

Mark

DTBL are definitely worth it. For the most part, stick with the brand named HIDs you find on here and you're be trouble free. If ya find some problems, those brands' customer service or the forum are more than helpful. Best of luck! You'll be extremely happy, I'm sure.