Steering wheel issue

I was cleaning my wife's 07 Edge today,and when I cleaned the steering wheel(it had black marks like from sweaty dirty hands)with Meguiar's all -purpose cleaner(diluted 50-50), it got all the marks off and the color(camel)came off also!! I thought I was seeing things,the more I rubbed the more the color came off...I know I should have stopped while I was ahead. I thought the leather covering was just that,leather. Then I tried Lexol leather cleaner/cond. and it didn't make it aany worse,nor any better. Has anyone had an issue like this? I'll probably look for a used wheel on line. The car is in too good of shape to let this go.

I thought the leather covering was just that,leather.

It may be, but I am sure it is dyed to match whatever interior color is chosen for the car. Anything which is dyed is prone to be affected by chemicals or cleaners. Did the all purpose cleaner you used (Meguiar"s) have any warnings on the label about testing in a hidden area?

I've actually noticed that, where I put my hand on the wheel (at 12 oclock) there is massive wear. My medium stone interior now has a steering wheel with a worn down and dark brown spot on the back side of the wheel. No clue if it's from where or heat or the combination.