Personalize your Edge

**Disclaimer: It is ok if you don't like this mod, not everyone will. Just don't ruin the fun for those that do like it.**

Here is a fast, fun way to customize your Edge. It is a cheap "mod" that will cost you less than $10 and a whole new look to your car. You are only limited to your imagination and skill with painter's tape. Here is what I did:

932de495-9c2c-470b-b6af-c2e44700c3fc_zps

Step 1: Tape off the what you want Dipped. Make sure you have straight lines and that you are covering what you don't want dipped with something. I used newspaper.

20130523_181403_zps97b24e78.jpg

Step 2: Spray on your base coat at about 50% coverage.

20130523_181412_zps229f3d54.jpg

Step 3: Spray remaining coats quickly and ensure you have 100% coverage. I waited about 1 minute between coats and it was probably too long. You just want to avoid PD build up and runs. Make sure you are using good technique when spraying and keep a good distance of about 8-12" from the surface you are spraying.

20130523_183124_zps33ca477c.jpg

Step 4: Peel the tape off before the PD dries. This will allow you to have clean lines after everything dries. If you wait too long to pull the tape up, the tape will also pull the PD and you will have torn edges. Torn edges are not good for your EDGE. It is recommended to let you PD dry for at least 4 hours to let it cure before you drive with it.

20130523_183135_zps3e9fe02c.jpg

The PD is still wet here but evened out as it dried.

20130523_183405_zps2125ab41.jpg

Step 5: Enjoy your work!

20130523_183352_zps89d76fd8.jpg

Now imagine what you could do with multiple colors. You could put a base stripe of black, like mine, then put a thin stripe of white on top of that as an accent if you have a white Edge. Don't let just one can stop you. I only did my hood, but you can bring your stripe all the way across your hood and down the back of your Edge too. That would look really good. Nice thing about this mod is that you can peel it right off if you are tired of it or don't like how it looks.

So far I have gone through two car washes and the stripe has held up perfectly. Edges are nice and flat and looks good overall.

Have fun!

• Like 1

How black is the "black" plastidip, and have you ever used the gloss PD makes?

Its true black. I haven't used the gloss PD mainly because I live in Germany atm so I don't have access to all the colors. I rely on friends from the States to send me PD. I'm not sure I would use the gloss version though. PD is so cheap that it doesn't really matter what you buy. If you don't like the way it looks, peel it off and get a different color.

Ohhhh, I remember the endless meals of ramen noodles back in my college days. I budgeted less than $10.00 a day for food, but wound up only spending a buck. The rest went to the purchase of certain adult beverages. (Barley and hops are considered vegetables, aren't they?)

Nice mod Cell! Love seeing this kind of stuff. Perfect photo with the mountains in the background. None of those here in Kansas!

Edit: Are you getting a volume discount from Plasti-Dip? If not, you should. That's great stuff!

Edited by kc300c
  • Like 1

Nice mod Cell! Love seeing this kind of stuff. Perfect photo with the mountains in the background. None of those here in Kansas!

Edit: Are you getting a volume discount from Plasti-Dip? If not, you should. That's great stuff!

Thanks KC! I thought that was a great shot too!

No discount. I cant even really buy it here. I have done all my PD mods, wheels/grill/stripe, on about 5 cans. Luckily, there have been some awesome forum members that have sent me a few cans! Very thankful for that!

Hey Cellbine, I got a little crazy with Plasti Dip too, I really wanted to black out the amber corners on the headlights and see what it looked like (Ultimately I'd like to get some custom headlights, but this was a cheap alternative to satisfy my curiousity).

I think it came out pretty good for my first try. This Plasti Dip stuff is too fun.

What do you think, should I black out the whole grille?

post-26744-0-51839000-1372614281_thumb.jpg
post-26744-0-76604100-1372614288_thumb.jpg

Hey Bryan,

Looks really unique. Custom headlights will be a good next move for you. I think that blacking out your grill will really tie everything you have done so far together. I love how mine looks and don't think I could take it off now. I might have to get it painted on.

Thanks, Yeah the possiblities are endless with Plasti Dip. I was actually thinking of doing a racing stripe on the hood before I even saw this post, haha.

I was going to ask you about the headlights since Dynamikillu51ons lives only a few hours drive from me but I can't PM you yet since I only have 2 posts (well, 3 now).

I see. You can email me at preston.royce@hotmail.com if you have any questions until then.

So on your headlights where you PD'd there is a small area that is illuminated when your lights are on. I advise that you redo your dip with that small rectangle area revealed. You can see what I'm talking about in the 4th picture down from my #13 post here:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12752-dynamikillu51ons/?p=98978

• 1 month later...

I just got my Edge a couple of months ago and want to try the PD on my grill. How does it hold up against the elements and debris from the road. Anyone ever tried it on the plastic molding around the bottom of the Edge?

It holds up very well to the elements. That is the main reason I have my wheels dipped. Great protection during the winter time. I have almost had my wheels dipped for 1 year. I have not heard of anyone dipping the molding around the bottom. That plastic seems to be pretty durable. Are you wanting to just change the color or are you having issues with protection on those parts?