Traction Control and ABS Light Comes on

Jimmy Sosinski

The other day I was driving down a highway and hit 80 mph and the Traction Control and ABS light comes on. First off, after just spending $700 on a new cooling fan and install by the dealer (which comes to find out, I could've done it myself for much cheaper), I was like crap, more money to spend on a car that is about to be paid off. Then the lights went out. So my wife says, hit 80 again to see if they come on again, and what do you know, the the lights come on again and then go out after a few minutes under 80 mph. Anybody have any thoughts on the issue? Could it be a bad ABS sensor? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Jimmy

I don't know about it happening at 80 mph, I know it has been reported after the car running in Park for about aminute, but there is a TSB for the traction control light coming on, dealer should fix it for free. I don't know if it has anything to do with the ABS light.

Why in gods name would the dealer fix it for free?? :headscratch: And what TSB are you referring to? I see none listed for ABS or traction control light

But yea more than likely a wheel speed sensor that's losing it's signal at the higher speeds. Had an '03 Dodge Dakota do this awhile back at the exact same speed too. Could be the sensor itself or could be something with the tone wheel..... either damaged or too thick of an air gap

• 1 year later...

I know this post is over a year old, but I am having the same issue with my 09 Edge Limited with 140K miles on it. When I hit 80mph on the highway 3 lights go on (traction, anti, wrench). They typically all stay on until I get off and brake a few times. Then all go off but the wrench, then that goes off a few minutes later. I have pulled over with all 3 lights on and read codes. Nothing. No codes. Questions:

1. Based on other postings, my guess is I have a bad anti-lock brake, speed sensor?

2. If that's it, how do I tell which one it is (no codes?). Is there a different way to read these codes?

Finally, I plan to rotate tires soon. I will look for these and see if I can clean them. If anyone can submit a picture of where they are with the tire off, that would be helpful.

A tire shop can probably diagnose the bad one for you, not sure how you'd do that yourself (generic link below). Here are the R/R instructions for an 07:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/diagnosing_abs_wheels_speed_sensors.htm

Wheel Speed Sensor — Front

2007 Edge Front Wheel Speed Sensor

Item Part Number Description 1 W500010 Wheel speed sensor bolt 2 2C204 RH/ 2C205 LH Wheel speed sensor 3 — Wheel speed sensor electrical connector (part of 14290)

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
  1. Remove the retainers and position the fender splash shield aside.
  1. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
  1. Disconnect the 6 pushpin fasteners.
  1. Remove the front wheel speed sensor bolt and the wheel speed sensor.
    • To install, tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in).
  1. CAUTION: The wheel speed sensor harness must be routed as shown or damage to the harness during vehicle jounce and rebound can occur.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

2007 Edge Front Wheel Speed Sensor Z

Wheel Speed Sensor — Rear

2007 Edge Rear Wheel Speed Sensor

Item Part Number Description 1 2C190 Wheel speed sensor 2 W500010 Wheel speed sensor bolt 3 — Wheel speed sensor electrical connector (part of 14A005)

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
  1. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
  1. NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the harness routing brackets.

Disconnect the wheel speed sensor harness from the brackets.
  1. Disconnect the pushpin fasteners.
  1. Remove the wheel speed sensor bolt and the wheel speed sensor.
    • To install, tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in).
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 2 months later...

I have an 08 limited and it happened to mine last year. Bought a new sensor and it was a waste of money. Found out the tone ring split due to rust and was jiggling around sending mixed signals to the computer. I cleaned it up and JB Welded it back on. It has been fine ever since. It can be replaced, but you have to replace the whole hub with the ring attached (about $100 at parts store).

• 1 year later...

Just took my 08 AWD in today with the exact same problem. Wish I would have seen this post before.

UPDATE: :)

Just picked up my 08 Edge. Running great now!

Issue causing the problem (according to my local dealer who did the work): The tone ring on the left front wheel went bad. Unfortunately, in this case the entire front left drive shaft had to be replaced. The tone ring is wielded on to the shaft and the only way to replace it.

Consequently, the vibration issue I was also having was related to the shaft. Now that the shaft was replaced, it runs great.

Thankfully, my extended warranty covered this. Was able to solve two issues for the price of one. :clapping:

Hope this helps someone with a similar issue!