No more Steeda support

I'm sure that a lot of you know this as the Steeda website has not been updated for the Edge for many months, but I contacted them today to order their sway bar and see if there were any more intakes available. Not only was the answer a rude "no, we're done with the Edge", but I was told there would be no more support, research or new products. SAD

There obviously is a new Edge coming, and it might be vastly different from current model. There is no business case for doing research on current model.

Another reason I imagine is performance mods for current vehicle w/b slow sellers. Our cars don't make good candidates for performance mods. No matter what you do to them....you can't make them fast. Intake kits, exhaust mods, tuners, etc....don't make much difference on a porky vehicle. They are heavy, with relatively small engines.....for a performance car. Much smarter to make 3.7 and 5.0 parts for a Mustang.

Who did you speak to on the phone? I am sure it was not intended to be a "rude" no ... but rather just stating the fact that we are currently re-evaluating our current position with the Edge.

As demand rises/drops then we have to do make the best business decision based on the numbers.

Best Regards,

TJ

I called yesterday as well to order a new sway bar for my 07 Edge and got the same response.. It was quite rude.. I then found Gary Yeomans ford on eBay selling 3 of them.. I ordered one, got an email about an hour later stating there stock was actually at 0, they had sold all of them over the weekend and they contacted Steeda and were told that they were no longer supporting the Edge.. How crappy is that! I was very disappointed.

I fully understand your point on business models and demand, but the research has already been done. The products were previously readied for market (intake, springs, sway bar). Why discontuinue? Why not just stock less product? for Steeda in particular, you cant tell me that Mustang part sales do not offset the low volume that Edge parts move.

Yes, the Edge is heavy and will never be FAST, but everyone likes to modify, look how many modified 107HP Civics are running around. Ford has consistently sold over 100,000 Edge per year since 2010. I just can't believe that Ford-centric companies such as Steeda and Roush can't justify intake/exhaust/suspension sales.

Steeda has not been on this forum for quite a while. They had asked for input on what Edge owners would like to mod, but we received no feedback on their development plans. I am sure they are busy with Mustang-based sales, and 3.7L owners can benefit from that. 2.0L Ecoboost owners can probably get tunes soon, since they are in the works for the Fusion and maybe the MKS. Have heard you can already get a tune for the NA 3.5L from SCT/Unleashed Tuning. Springs-wise, H&R is about your only option. I don't think you will find anyone selling traction bars to reduce wheel hop etc.

But beyond that, you are pretty much on your own, doing on-off performance-related mods, or sticking with appearance/electrical mods.

It does strike me as weird that (and I'm not trying to bash Steeda) but look at their page for Fusion parts and it is packed! I have never even SEEN a modified Fusion. Since the Edge is based on the fusion, I wonder if any of those parts, like the shocks or adjustable camber ball joints would transfer over?

Edited by Hollywood1

Could be that engine parts like the throttle body spacer are simply renumbered for the Fusion. On the Ford site, the throttle body diagram, for example, looks identical and is priced identically between the Edge and Fusion. Suspension components I don't think we'd get so lucky. MAYBE the adjustable parts like the camber ball joints. Coilovers like those from Megan Racing (they make them for the Flex now, may have for the SHO as well, both in the Edge's weight class) would likely be the real performance gainers.

Only way to know for sure is to get a hold of someone with parts catalog access & experience so we can get factory specs for comparison so we can start cannibalizing parts :drool: .

• Like 1

Hello All:

Yes there is demand but the demand is not high enough to maintain the current prices. The reason why the parts are priced the way they were was because the initial batch of parts manufactured were made at a volume to keep the part price competitive in the market. It took several years to sell out the existing inventory.

Typically we manufacture with inventory turns of less than 100 days, depending on the parts. It is not feasible for us to go back into production to make 10 or 12 pieces then inventory the parts for another 2 or 3 years. The set-up of the machines, the labor/man-hours it would take would not allow us to keep these prices down.

To meet the current demand that is listed on the board, the price of the parts will go up 5 times their current price that you would have expected to pay.

It is not like we don’t want to sell them parts it is just we can’t make them competitively enough to sell them at the prices they want with the current demand.

Best Regards,

TJ

• 1 month later...

TJ: Not trying to bash, but bear in mind that I have been in a similar situation with Maximas. Stillen stopped making the strut tower brace for Maximas and then, all of a sudden, demand for the 5.5 Gen Max was up.

The point I am making is that the Edge is one of those vehicles that the aftermarket support is lacking. We need a company that has weight like yours to help those who want to squeeze a little more out of our vehicles.

• 4 months later...

I contacted Steeda via email a few weeks ago and, sorry TJ, I was met by the same short/rude type response. It was literally ' we don't make the tbs anymore, we don't have any, and I don't know where you can find one. Poor example of customer service by my standards...

I inquired about the fusion tbs, I was met with another short answer, ' it doesn't fit the edge'...

Is there ANY aftermarket fun stuff for this thing??

• 7 months later...