IOLM - what are your thoughts?

blazindave

This is the first vehicle I've owned with this feature. Of course, when I bought it, there was a "next oil change" mileage sticker up in the window. Now that we've driven it past that mileage, my wife keeps bugging me to change the oil. I told her about the oil life monitor feature, and we discovered through the message center that the oil life still has 62%. I have no idea what kind of oil they used, and presume that their recommended oil change date was 3k out from when they did it.

So, do you guys pretty much go with the recommendation from the IOLM info and just change it when it tells you to, or do you still stick with prescribed mileage or date intervals?

I see this in Ford's documentation:

"The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm."

It just kinda makes me wonder how good it is at estimating oil quality. Don't get me wrong, if it extends the miles/dates between oil changes, that's great, so long as it doesn't negatively affect the engine...

I also just recently purchased a 2011 MKX and delaership placed a sticker for next oil change after 8000 KM or 5 months. My IOLM also indicates about 62% oil life remaining. Since most of of my driving is City, I am planning on regular oil changes every 5 months or so just to ensure longer engine life. It would probably best for you to stick with miles/dates and based on percantage of City/highway driving between oil changes rather than IOLM recommendation since it does not actually use any sensors to trully guague remaining oil life.

Edited by teknowiz

I change my oil and rotate my tires every 5000 miles, regardless of what the OLM says (unless it were to get below 10% before that). My records indicate I have never been below 60% for the last three oil changes, and the car now has 16000 miles. I do a majority of highway driving, but a DIY oil change, filter, and tire rotation is cheap insurance in my opinion.

I use the Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend and the Motorcraft oil filter.

The first oil change (immediately after buying the vehicle) is also one of the most important, since the vehicle is being broken in and there may be more sediments in the oil.

Other than on old engines, this is the oil change I would make sure I would not extend past the recommended date/mileage, after that you can adjust based on the type of oil, type of driving and the general state of the oil.

Based on the Ford recommendation you quoted, the IOLM does not seem to be much more than an advance timer. It does not take into account the type of oil, and does not analyze its remaining life.

The fact that you can reset it through the dashboard is also a confirmation of this. You could reset it at 8000 km without changing the oil and the system would just start over at 100%.

• 2 months later...

Ford bets the warranty of its engines and reputation on its very well designed IOLM. Its much more than a timer as some here have stated. Although it doesnt have an oil quality sensor persay the software is advanced enough to give a solid estimation when to change your oil and falls on fairly conservative side! Use a quality oil and filter and trust it!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the maintenance minder two Hondas. The oldest is at 100k + and exclusively use the monitor for service. I've also got a 06 TDI VW that has a 10k service interval. That being said the service advisor advised me to use the IOLM in the Edge since they use synthetic oil which I have no problem doing.

• 1 month later...