Coil/PCM issues and reimbursement for TSB 13-04-17

marriedgeek

Well, they don't seem to be honoring it. I argued until I was blue in the face on two occasions. They claimed the TSB was only a guideline and didn't have to be followed exactly. Granted, I was trying to get reimbursed, who knows if your dealer will give in and replace all of them.

At any rate, they must at least replace the ones that were fried (a statement that 2 dealers as well as a mechanic told me, and they in fact did) as well as the PCM. You should not have to pay a cent.

Edited by marriedgeek

The most current TSB (technical service bulletin) for this issue is 14-0059. In the TSB the instructions state to change the spark plug and ignition coil on the affected cylinders only, not all 6.

FYI: The only time FoMoCo will reimburse for work done outside the shop is if it is an emergency repair (more than 100 miles from a dealer) for a warranty issue that stops the car. They will also reimburse you if a repair is done that is later covered under a mandatory recall.

They will not reimburse you for work done by an independant shop that is addressed in a TSB. These bulletins are intended only to aid a technician with a repair that may have an unusual fix or to address a difficult to diagnose repair.

The 'extended' coverages are addressed in your owners manual. Gotta read the small print and ask questions.

The most current TSB (technical service bulletin) for this issue is 14-0059. In the TSB the instructions state to change the spark plug and ignition coil on the affected cylinders only, not all 6.

FYI: The only time FoMoCo will reimburse for work done outside the shop is if it is an emergency repair (more than 100 miles from a dealer) for a warranty issue that stops the car. They will also reimburse you if a repair is done that is later covered under a mandatory recall.

They will not reimburse you for work done by an independant shop that is addressed in a TSB. These bulletins are intended only to aid a technician with a repair that may have an unusual fix or to address a difficult to diagnose repair.

The 'extended' coverages are addressed in your owners manual. Gotta read the small print and ask questions.

Did not realize they changed the TSB. It makes sense if you can easily identify the coils that need to be replaced and the ones that don't.

How dare they not change perfectly good coils!

My point was the ones that weren't replaced, while still functioning, may be weakened and prematurely fail. The PCM failure seems to take out a varying number of coils (3 in my case). I still had all 6 replaced (some on my own dime).

For the several versions of the TSB up to version 14, I'm sure there was a purpose behind replacing all 6 instead of just the visibly damaged ones. That was my whole concern - I didn't want premature failure months down the road due to, say, a small crack in a CP or spark plug that tested fine at the time and left un-replaced.

Edited by marriedgeek

I guess I have trust issues with that part. There's no doubt a part could still work but still be weakened. For all I know, their test would be to see if it still creates a spark and that's it. In the end, it's really only by luck that the remaining working coil packs were not taken out with the faulty PCM.

Certainly could cause trust issues. Have no idea whether Ford was over-the-top with the original TSB, or cutting corners with the latest TSB. As long as the PCM/coils remain under warranty, I wouldn't worry too much though.

Exactly. My guess is they've determined that not all the coils are damaged so why replace them unnecessarily. Or it could be simple cost cutting. No way to really tell but it's hard to argue replacing the ones that test ok without further evidence.