2010 AWD Failed

Pamela Yager Royko

Anyone experience a PTU (I think that's what they called it) failure at 72k miles ? I have been the only owner and have taken good care of the truck. I'm fixing it for 1350 but what I'm scared is that more issues will follow or this problem will arise again. If I trade it in are the 2013 or 2014 edges having the same issues? The repair man said the spark plugs need replaced because they are known to break off?? I'm not at all knowledgeable about cars I just wanted to see if this is the first of many issues to come

Hi Pamela! Welcome to the forum, sorry you are experiencing the all-too-familiar PTU problem. Yes, it continues to happen in the newer models, but I believe with MUCH less frequency. On the 2007-2010 models, it is more of a luck of the draw.

Have not heard of spark plugs breaking off on the Edge. On the 5.4L Triton engines in the F series trucks, sure, but not on the Edge.

Who is your diagnostician/repair guy? Not a dealership, I presume. What kind of warranty do they give on their work? Are they putting in a brand new PTU with Ford spec fluid? May want to check the PTU seal at the same time, that is a known problem area also.

The Edge is a relatively trouble-free/workhorst type of vehicle, but the PTU can definitely be a weak point.

Thank you very much for your response. I did not take it to the dealership normally our repair guy is really good. He said that the coil could catch fire too if I didn't get the spark plugs changed. I'm not even sure what that means but I will make sure to get it back over to get that piece taken care of. He said he has seen that a lot and if I let it go that is a $2800 fix instead of the $300 tune up? I don't ever keep a car after the warranty expires but I really love this edge. I did get a brand new PTU and they said that will need to be checked at 103k miles. So I'm sure if I am going to try to make it and wait for the 2015 Edge. I have been very satisfied this is only my first issue it was just feeling like a big thing to go wrong. Thank you for your help.

If you want to change the spark plugs, there are a couple of step-by-step writeups on this forum to help you out. Take your time & it should go fine. Or get a mechanically inclined friend to help.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/8724-sparkplug-replacement-job-info-with-photos/

Haven't heard of the coils catching fire, maybe on other makes & models? BUT, yeah, if the coils wear out (excessive resistance in the circuit), the PCM can eventually fry, which would potentially account for the $2,800 fix the mechanic was referring to. This TSB (which officially applies to 2007-2008 MYs) should help:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=176650

Anything in a car could theoretically catch fire, but if a spark plug breaks you're going to get some warning lights long before anything catches fire. A broken spark plug could be an expensive fix, but I've never heard of broken spark plugs in the millions of V6 engines Ford's made in the last few years.

Pamela, your mechanic sounds like he is confusing a few different problems with the wrong vehicles. Yes, Ford did (does) have a problem with spark plugs breaking, but that is on only certain engines in the F150 line-up, nothing in the Edge models.

The PTU does indeed have a history of developing a leak with the seal. Ford has had this problem with the unit used in the Edge for a long time now. I believe there are even some newer models (2011,2012) that have the same leak problems as the earlier 2007 or 2008 models. Maybe not as common, but still happens once in awhile. I don't know if you are having a leak fixed, or an internal problem with yours.

Just what do you mean when you say yours had a failure and it is costing $1350.00?

You haven't mentioned what year your Edge is, or what engine. This is VERY important to put in your signature or in your posts, as different years may have different problems and fixes. One example is your mechanic mentioning something about spark plugs and or coils. Did you know that earlier Edge's have a problem with the coils and the PCM burning out? This is a very expensive fix since all six coils and the PCM have to be replaced.

Ford does have a TSB which is providing a free repair to fix this problem, but only on those years which are affected. Your mechanic may have again confused some information about the coils/PCM and not been able to tell you specific information for your Edge. Just recently one member had an independent shop do some repairs which would have been covered by Ford under the TSB. He is trying to get reimbursed for some of his cost, but so far no success. His story and the TSB information at this link.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13537-coilpcm-issues-and-reimbursement-for-tsb-13-04-17/

You might want to check with a Ford dealer or two to see if you are covered.

• Like 1

She did say "2010 AWD" as thread title ... I think the problem with coils/PCM made Ford extend the warranty out to 80,000 miles? In which case this should be covered (wouldn't that be great!). Thanks for mentioning that, ls973800! :hat_tip:

There was no warranty extension. The PCM is the root cause of the coil failures and the PCM is covered by the emissions warranty (8 yrs 80K miles).