Driver's side door won't remote unlock (2008)

Hey guys, this just happened the other day. On my key I'll press unlock twice and all doors expect the driver's side unlock. That door's lock sporadically goes up and down for ~2 seconds and stays locked. But if I get in the car's passenger seat and use the remote unlock I can open it from the interior (still goes up and down for 2 seconds). Using the interior lock/unlock switch on the driver's door panel correctly unlocks the door with no problems.

Has anyone experienced this? I've used both sets of keys and they do the same thing. My only guess is the cold weather but honestly don't think that would have an effect on remote lock/unlock functions...especially for just one door?

Cold weather can dramatically decrease range. Angle of approach matters too, since the receiver is not positioned equidistant from every angle.

Have you noticed any issues when closing the driver door? I was thinking of a possible door latch/switch problem. Of course, could always be a bad door lock actuator (have experienced that on older Fords).

I've tried several angles and nothing helps. I noticed it's more prone to happen when the car is locked by pressing lock twice, having the horn beep. Locking it once has a lesser occurrence of the problem. I manually pulled the lock up and pressed it down and it almost seems sticky - might be frozen water from snow or just the cold is effecting it. I'm gonna try again tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing is happening with my wife's 2008. The drivers door won't unlock with the key fob or the actual key in the lock. We can open it from the inside with no problems by going through the passenger door. It won't go up and down for a couple of seconds like the original posters will though. I can see the lock move up like it is going to unlock but seems to stop early if that makes sense. I tried to manually unlock the door from the outside and I can't get it to move a bit. Do you think it might be the actuator? If so, how hard is it to remove the door panel and spray some wd40 on it? Waiting for warmer weather is no use as the northern IL weather isn't going to warm up any time soon as it's been in the negatives all week. I don't know if it is cold weather related as it did the same thing in early fall too. Thanks for the help!

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Having a similar problem with my 2008 Ford Edge. All the other door will open with remote except the driver side door. I am able to physically use the key to open door but the switch inside the car on the drivers side does not lock or unlock door either. When I start driving all the door locks will lock automatic except drivers side. Was working fine and for no reason it just stopped working. Even with remote pressed down there is no movement on the lock.