Dead Battery

abnjim6

Hi All,

I purchased a 2013 Ford Edge and the battery keeps going dead.

This dead battery matter is probably the result of this fine car not being started regularly, and would be considered to be in storage, but its a pain to charge this battery all the time. Just three days pass and this battery is dead!

What to do?

James

Can you hook up a trickle charger? There could be a problem causing the battery to drain faster than normal. When you do drive it, how long does it run? If you're only doing short trips or only running it for a few minutes then you're not giving the alternator time to recharge the battery making it worse. If you start it and run it for 10-15 minutes every week it should be ok. A trickle charger is still good insurance.

This dead battery matter is probably the result of this fine car not being started regularly, and would be considered to be in storage, but its a pain to charge this battery all the time. Just three days pass and this battery is dead!

Hi abnjim6,

Have you been to the dealer for this concern? Let me know, and send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'd like to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, who is in the best position to assist.

Todd

Hi,

Are you leaving your park light "ON"?

i have 2013 Edge Limited i brought last month. Personally i like the Day Time Running Lamps (LED strips on the front bumper) "ON" during the drives, and forgot to turn it OFF one night. The battery was dead next morning and had to get Ford Road Side Assistance to get a Jump start. Took it to the dealer, and they confirmed that the park light staying ON drained the battery.

There is a battery saver feature on the Edge, which i expected to kick in during such instances; However, as per the dealer personnel, it does not apply on head lamps / park lights.

EDwin GEorge

• 1 year later...

2012 SEL Loaded....battery dead out of the blue...speaking of blue, lots of blue acid around battery less than 3 years old. Dealer now says I have to replace harness...all for $1000....feels like a giant rip off...car ran fine after jump but battery died shortly thereafter...lease up in March...should I just dump this car (loved it till now) or seek a second opinion? Thanks all...

Still under warranty? Any pics you can provide of the battery and underneath as you look straight down? If you have not experienced any malfunction other than the battery dying, try replacing the battery first. Clean the cable ends thoroughly before attaching them to the new battery. If no wiring has been compromised by the acid (the only reason to replace the harness), you should be OK. If you don't feel sure about verifying it yourself, take it to a trusted mechanic.