Battery Saver feature on Edge 2013

edwingeorgen

i have 2013 Edge Limited i brought last month. Personally i like the Day Time Running Lamps (LED strips on the front bumper) "ON" during the drives, and forgot to turn it OFF one night. The battery was dead next morning and had to get Ford Road Side Assistance to get a Jump start. Took it to the dealer, and they confirmed that the park light staying ON drained the battery.

There is a battery saver feature on the Edge, which i expected to kick in during such instances; However, as per the dealer personnel, it does not apply on head lamps / park lights.

EDwin GEorge

The 2013 Edge Owners Guide says...

"Battery Saver - If you leave the courtesy lamps, dome lamps or headlamps on, the battery saver shuts them off 10 minutes after you switch the ignition off."

It does not mention any Battery Saver affect upon parking lights. I did a 10-minute test on my MKX's parking lights and the Battery Saver did not shut them off.

Perhaps the parking lights are excluded from auto-shutoff in the same way as the 4-way Emergency Flashers -- to ensure the vehicle can be more visible when stationary, especially in the dark, when the driver leaves the parking lights on to warn other drivers that the vehicle is parked and poses a potential traffic hazard.

When I did the 10-minute parking lights test, the Warning Chime did sound when I opened the door, to inform me that I had left the parking lights on after the ignition was turned off.

Thanks to EDwin, we all know the gravity of that chimed warning if we unintentionally leave our parking lights on.

Good luck!

Like what @Haz mentioned, the Battery Saver will NOT turn off the Parking lights if they were left on. I inadvertently left mine on one day & they stayed on for more than an hour before I realized they are still on (I recall older Fords did turn them off). Apparently its the same for the 2011+ Explorer, but I did notice that it was mentioned in the Owners Manual for the 2012 Explorer, but removed from the 2013!!

The battery saver will shut off the exterior lamps and interior lamps,

except the hazard warning lamps if activated, 10 minutes after the

ignition control has been turned off. The system will not turn off the

parking lamps if they are on.

On a personal note, it makes more sense for them to stay on. In a normal situation, you usually have the headlights on which, if forgotten on, will be turned off (complete with the parking lights). Also, intentionally keeping the parking lights on for safety, such as leaving the car on the side of the road, with the parking lights remaining on, is far more important than saving the battery from fully discharging (similar to the Hazard flashers).

On a personal note, it makes more sense for them to stay on. In a normal situation, you usually have the headlights on which, if forgotten on, will be turned off (complete with the parking lights). Also, intentionally keeping the parking lights on for safety, such as leaving the car on the side of the road, with the parking lights remaining on, is far more important than saving the battery from fully discharging (similar to the Hazard flashers).

Agreed. That does make sense.

edwingeorgen, like it was mentioned, your chimes should have alerted you when you were leaving the vehicle that some lights were on. Haz even said he tried it on his and they do chime with the parking lights turned on.

There is a vendor on these forums who sells an aftermarket driving lights modification. His system turns the strip lights on and off with the ignition , no need to manually switch them on or off. I know the replacement kit he sells includes all of the wiring and modified front vertical fog lights (brighter and they also have yellow turn signals incorporated). I don't know if he will sell just the wiring and control box so you can have yours turn on and off with just the ignition.

Here is a link to his website. He is on these boards if you want to search for him and uses the name of kc300c. His name is Dan and I have seen where he has given other owners advice regarding lighting.

http://www.daytimebrightlites.com/

• Like 1

daytimebrighlites.com

just visited the link, and saw their videos. looks very attractive.

what's ford's take on the warranty terms when after market modifications are done? i know some manufacturer's will limit / cease the warranty when you tamper the electrical system / wiring.

anyone has experience such a situation?