Ford Edge 2010 Roof Leak

So I have an Edge 2010 with no sunroof and we started noticing water leaking from the coat hangers in the back seats. Being the middle of winter with lots of snow and cold cold weather it was really odd that water was coming from the roof. I clean snow off the roof regularly so it made no sense. My brother mentioned that it could be condensation from the window blower blowing air ontop of the bulkhead and causing condensation. I was not sure so I brought it to ford for a check up and they said it could be an issue with rails of some sort and applied a fix. A few days later it was leaking again so I told them perhaps the water was just left over from the earlier issue and I would continue to test it. Sure enough a couple of weeks later we were on a two hour trip and it started leaking again and soaking through the fabric on the roof. We had to hold paper towels to catch all the water. I dropped it off at ford again and asked them to check it again. Also to note I was noticing that my car windows would frost over quite easily and when I would check other cars in the area no one else seemed to have frost on some days and I had to frequently scrape the inside of the windshield with a credit card so i had suspicions that there was a problem with moisture in the vehicle. So Ford had it for a day and then send me a picture of the roof with the entire frame exposed and it was covered in water droplets everywhere. They said they suspect that since my floor area was so wet with melted show over the winter that this water was evaporating on the mild days and forming condensation on the roof and leaking back down. sort of like my own eco system. Now I agree that there was a lot of moisture on the floor from it being winter but why has this not happened to any of my other vehicles before and why am I not finding this problem for anyone else? They held the car in the garage overnight and had their detailing team vacuum up what they could and make it all nice again but I am wondering if anyone else has had such a problem? or perhaps someone had a similar issue with the air from the windshield defroster going up above the bulk head instead. when I was in the waiting room the sales guy asked what I was in for and he never heard of a problem with moisture on the floor causing this issue for any other vehicle. I have not paid for any work as of yet as the service desk guy said that he is waiting for the service manager to determine the price and that is why I want to know if anyone else had this issue. if it is caused by my own feet dragging in snow then there maybe a cost difference compared to it being a defrost problem that other people may have. I will try to attach a photo or two. To note the Team at this Ford is excellent so I hope that their findings will resolve this once and for all.

post-29476-0-13960400-1391706308_thumb.jpg

post-29476-0-46437500-1391706329_thumb.jpg

post-29476-0-00162500-1391706350_thumb.jpg

It is possible - newer cars are sealed up much tighter than older cars. Do you keep the hvac on recirculate all the time? Only way to really tell is to dry it out completely and make sure you don't leave any snow or water in the vehicle when you park it and see if the moisture comes back. It could still be a roof leak.

Once they dry it out have them do a leak test spraying the roof with high pressure water for several minutes. IF there is a roof leak it should appear while they have the headliner out.

Edited by akirby

wow that is definitely a condensation problem. because of the way the water is evenly spread out on the roof panel. If it was a leak you would only see the water in a few spots. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a water leak at the floor. I purchased custom floor liners when I bought my car last month and in the last couple weeks I've probably dumped out a quart of water from my mat once each week.

• Like 1

So I have an Edge 2010 with no sunroof and we started noticing water leaking from the coat hangers in the back seats. Being the middle of winter with lots of snow and cold cold weather it was really odd that water was coming from the roof. I clean snow off the roof regularly so it made no sense. My brother mentioned that it could be condensation from the window blower blowing air ontop of the bulkhead and causing condensation. I was not sure so I brought it to ford for a check up and they said it could be an issue with rails of some sort and applied a fix. A few days later it was leaking again so I told them perhaps the water was just left over from the earlier issue and I would continue to test it. Sure enough a couple of weeks later we were on a two hour trip and it started leaking again and soaking through the fabric on the roof. We had to hold paper towels to catch all the water. I dropped it off at ford again and asked them to check it again.

Hey FordLVR,

I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to find a resolution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

wow that is definitely a condensation problem. because of the way the water is evenly spread out on the roof panel. If it was a leak you would only see the water in a few spots. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a water leak at the floor. I purchased custom floor liners when I bought my car last month and in the last couple weeks I've probably dumped out a quart of water from my mat once each week.

At first I was going to tell the OP that cars should only be washed from the outside, NOT the inside.

Then I thought about it and Cinnamon's answer makes more sense...shows you what I know.

Edited by predapio