Driver side weather stripping

misterfixit

He contacted me today via email. He stated it was repaired per ford's "repair guide lines". I
would like to see a copy of these "repair guidelines". The service manager tried to tell me first that it was installed wrong then after he worked with it he tried to tell me it was ok the way it was. It fell out of the groove by itself the first time and would fall out of the groove by just barely touching it. The door fold for the weatherstrip is off spec. It was not designed to be glued in. The service manager did not mention any guidelines for repair. All he told me was that he would try some contact cement to see if it would work. Ford customer service doesn't seem to care about satisfying customers. Time to go to Ford's Facebook page.

Edited by misterfixit

He contacted me today via email. He stated it was repaired per ford's "repair guide lines". I

would like to see a copy of these "repair guidelines". The service manager tried to tell me first that it was installed wrong then after he worked with it he tried to tell me it was ok the way it was. It fell out of the groove by itself the first time and would fall out of the groove by just barely touching it. The door fold for the weatherstrip is off spec. It was not designed to be glued in. The service manager did not mention any guidelines for repair. All he told me was that he would try some contact cement to see if it would work. Ford customer service doesn't seem to care about satisfying customers. Time to go to Ford's Facebook page.

Hi misterfixit,

Did you request a copy of the guidelines? Let me know and we'll go from there.

Todd

I requested a copy of the guidelines from Wendell Barron via email. He is Jessica's supervisor as far as I know. He did not respond. I also told Jessica via email that I would like to see the guidelines. She didn't respond to that request either.

I'll get in touch with Wendell and see what I may find out. Hang tight.

Todd

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it appears that Ford's idea of tolerances and of customer service are both off base. An eighth of an inch in this day and age is a lot, and if the panel allows an eighth and the weatherstripping manuf. allows and eighth and they go in opposite directions then it's doubtful that they'll ever meet.

But your eye will see it for sure, just like the little bits on my 2013 Limited where chrome/bright trim doesn't quite line up. I'll live with it, but Ford should know that it's exactly this kind of "no big deal" attitude that drove people to Toyota and Honda where an eigthth of an inch is unacceptable.

And keeping the customer happy without the multi-level loca/field/regional runaround should be a priority. These are $40K cars -- not a lot for Ford CEO's who get theirs gratis, but enough to make customers say "never again". Look at Chevrolet, or for that matter any other GM product!

J. in CO

Edited by Edge-thusiast

Well, getting "bounced" from this forum for discussing quality issues would indeed be sad. Forums always have their religiously aligned "can do no wrong" bigots currying favor with the like-minded, and on the other side, pot-stirrers. Forum admin's. should know the difference.

Sticking to the facts of your case should be the key. Mrfixit has by all accounts tried to get a satisfactory resolution and others here have tried to get him some help, it seems to me. The other obvious alternatives seem to be to either try a different Ford dealership or maybe a good independent body shop. When Ford scurries behind some "guidelines" (and that's all that they are...not gospel) then take good notes and try elsewhere.

There's an old saying in the car world: "pride of ownership". It's a customer's pride that they're driving and paying for with a co. logo on it. But some co. dealerships can't quite grasp that concept or their role in it. Most times, it's just finding the person with enough clout to make things right.

So don't be bitter...just persistent! And when all's said and the vitriol's settled, a factual note to your local BBB wouldn't hurt.

J. in CO

I went to my dealership for weather striping that was shrinking and they replaced all the door striping without any questions. Im sure they could repair/fabricate the area that is not to spec and repaint the inside of the door jam if that is what's needed. I would personally leave it the way it is because I never like to disturb factory paint if possible. Ask them to make an agreement that they will repair the weather striping if the glue ever fails as long as you have the car.