Behind the climate control panel...

Looks like they need to shim that center console or lower the dash. That is bad. They must have removed that console to fix something and didnt put it back correctly or someone at the assembly line should be fired. I found a couple things like that with mine too. Worst one was the passenger rear door chome weather strip that rubs the glass was not snapped in correctly. It was gapped from the glass a 1/4 inch. I just removed the two screws holding it on, which was a 2 minute job. Then reinstalled it correctly. I also have the lower driverside running board that is a 1/4inch lower in the rear. I noticed it when washing the car. The bottom of the door looks crooked, but it's just the rocker panel. I think it needs to be loosened up and brought tighter to the body.

Edited by CinnamonEdge

Hey, mine is the same way. I bet there is a little wiggle room during assembly. Mine almost touches on the passenger side and is gapped on the driverside. I think you could probably play with the console and get it to line up perfect. I'm not going to worry about it since I'll never see it. Here is mine 20140213_195002_zpsfh9tlgw5.jpg

Edited by CinnamonEdge

I've never heard of them dropping in case of a fire. If you look, they are always held up by push pins, clips, glue, or other methods. I think they are just a sound deader and maybe a heat shield.

I thought the plastic clips job was to melt and drop it during a fire.

I also don't think it is a Ford thing to put it on models (the original post I was replying to). My Neon has it as well. That's about as cheap a car as you can get.

I've had several cars that I recall the hood insulator was held in place with metal clips which bent over and held it. No way where they going to melt and drop the insulator. I think the plastic clips or push pins are just a less expensive way to hold the insulator up. My Edge has two metal clips near the windshield side of the hood, and the rest of the pad is held by push pins. No way it this ever going to drop in case of a fire.

Sounds like a good topic for Myth Busters!

Third world problems! Here's a picture of mine. It was the first (and last) time I will ever need to look at it. I hope you don't look on the underside of your hood and see the paint!

lol. I noticed the paint! Even on the door jams. .. The skimpped paint! Or they got a blind man painting with a lego spray. Crazy embarrassment for Ford. Wtf! I thought it was just me and my luck with cars.

lol. I noticed the paint! Even on the door jams. .. The skimpped paint! Or they got a blind man painting with a lego spray. Crazy embarrassment for Ford. Wtf! I thought it was just me and my luck with cars.

Where is this poor paint work? I was actually quite impressed with the paint. Especially in the doorways and jambs. Even the engine compartment is shiny. My 2004 Escape has thin paint work in the engine bay and on the jambs of the rear hatch. The Cinnamon metallic on my Edge is shiny and heavy coated everywhere I look.