Auto Headlights Not Turning Off

i20sailor

My headlights are set to "Auto". A couple of times now they would not turn off after the car was turned off (and beyond the set delay). Had to manually turn the dash switch to "off".

Anyone else have this issue?

What's the year and mileage of your Edge, i20sailor? I'd like to look into this for you.

Todd

• Like 1

What year is your Edge? With the advanced electronic modules being used to control various systems and functions in cars, it could be one of those modules. In Ford, I don't know if that would be the equivalent of a BCM (Body Control Module as found on GM cars) or something similar. I have heard the term Smart Junction Box associated with Fords, perhaps that is one component to look at?

A quick look at my 2013 service manual shows this regarding the autolamps staying on. It shows it could be the sensor itself as pointed out by an earlier post, or the BCM, or the headlamp switch (also pointed out by the same earlier post) which is integrated into the FLM. I don't know if the switch is replaceable as a separate unit or if it is actually a part of the FLM.

• The autolamps are on continuously
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Light sensor
  • Headlamp switch (integrated into the Front Lighting Control Module (FLM))
  • BCM

What year is your Edge? With the advanced electronic modules being used to control various systems and functions in cars, it could be one of those modules. In Ford, I don't know if that would be the equivalent of a BCM (Body Control Module as found on GM cars) or something similar. I have heard the term Smart Junction Box associated with Fords, perhaps that is one component to look at?

A quick look at my 2013 service manual shows this regarding the autolamps staying on. It shows it could be the sensor itself as pointed out by an earlier post, or the BCM, or the headlamp switch (also pointed out by the same earlier post) which is integrated into the FLM. I don't know if the switch is replaceable as a separate unit or if it is actually a part of the FLM.

• The autolamps are on continuously
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Light sensor
  • Headlamp switch (integrated into the Front Lighting Control Module (FLM))
  • BCM

The key is "after ignition off". Once the engine is off, I don't see how the light sensor input would be considered. Headlamp switch maybe. Turning the switch to off will kill the lights and will remain off even after turning back to auto (keeping ignition off). I don't know if the lights ever did not turn off due to ambien light increase (since there is no indication of headlight status in the IP).