Howling Pirellis

C2000

I have a 2011 edge sport with the 22 in wheels. I bought a new set of Pirrellis at 30,000 miles because they were howling, Ford service said the were "cupped) Now at 11,000 miles those tires are howling.. Anyone else have this problem?

Jerry in Minnesota.

My factory Perelli's (20 inch) have 28000 miles and they are getting a bit loud. Still ride and handle great so it's not that big of a deal for me yet. No unusual wear or tear on them with a lot of tread left. I rotate them every 5000 miles, front to back, back to front and crossed.

Cupping usual is suspension problem, or out of balance. I had one set of tires cup when I had neglected to rotate them for about 30000 miles when I first started driving. It was because of a bad alignment and the tires never got a chance to wear evenly if they had been rotated.

How to read your tire wear and what it might mean.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge sport and all four tires are cupping. I took it to Ford they said the alignment is perfect and there is nothing wrong with the suspension on the vehicle. They tried to get me Pirelli to replace the tires but they came back saying that 23000 miles is the life expectancy of the tire. Gee I have 50% tread left on the tire I rotate at 3500 miles and they still say I was lucky to get that many miles out of the tire.

Does anyone know if the This vehicle has issues with tires cupping? I mean to replace these Pirellis there almost $300.00 dollars a piece. I hate to do that with o that much tread still remaining. I thought they would at least pro rate the tire. But they say it's the vehicle not the tires. So any info. You guys might have will greatly be appreciated .

Thanks!

Will in California.

Will, maybe you could check with one of the national tire chains and see what they have to say. I know some owner's on other forums have had a tire shop pro-rate their factory tires because the tire shop is also an authorized dealer of that brand of tire.

Tire shops main source of income is of course tire sales, so they may be more willing to work with you.

Don't overlook the fact that he was talking about the 22" tires which come on the Sport. You are trying to compare his with your 20" tires.

Right now, Tire Rack is showing the Pirellis OEM in 22" size for $264.00 each, before tax, shipping, mounting, balancing, road hazard, etc. A set of four before all the needed extras is $1056.00, with a $60.00 rebate, so just the tires are $996.00

I can see where he could be looking at close to $300.00 per tire when all is said and done.

• 4 months later...